I wrote a chord progression that seems to resolve on a Bm.
I have an F#m in it and it sounds good. But isn't an F# chord in that key supposed to be a V or V7 chord?
Or would it still be correct because in the relative Major scale it is the third and it is minor?
Thanks

Edit: even if it is wrong I'm not going to scrap it because it sounds good and I like it.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Apr 22, 2011,
F#m does belong to the key of Bm. Remember that you're in a minor key.

And there's no such thing as wrong in music.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
What are you trying to ask? I to V or V to I are really strong chords.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I would think of it as being in B minor not major. B minor's relative major is D major. B-minor is the minor and F# is minor in D major... so it works theory wise, but... who cares about theory if it sounds great!!

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net
Oh I messed up on the scale chords thing
I thought
i ii III iv V VI vii
When it's
i ii III iv v VI VII.
My bad thanks
Quote by kaptkegan

You were right off the bat. Although the minor v is diatonic to a minor key, you will often (almost always in common practise harmony) raise the third of the chord (the seventh scale degree of the minor key) to give it the dominant function so it leads back to the i chord. However, there's nothing saying that you can't leave it minor.
it depends on your minor scale

Natural Minor
i iio III iv v VI VII

Harmonic Minor
i ii0 III+ iv V VI viio

Melodic Minor
i ii III+ IV V vio viio
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Classic (w/ EMG-81)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
the minor v, in this case, f# minor, is diatonic in B minor. but it is common to make it major. So both would be acceptable. if you like the minor v, nothing is stopping you from using it
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You were right off the bat. Although the minor v is diatonic to a minor key, you will often (almost always in common practise harmony) raise the third of the chord (the seventh scale degree of the minor key) to give it the dominant function so it leads back to the i chord. However, there's nothing saying that you can't leave it minor.

Ya can even throw a 7#9 in there and get the best of both worlds!

it is written in Natural minor but I was confused with the chord construction scale thing
I was writing it in the natural minor but was thinking in the Harmonic minor state of mind
Quote by kaptkegan

Quote by Zen Skin
Ya can even throw a 7#9 in there and get the best of both worlds!

yeah theres nothing as funkaay as a good 7#9 chord.

and personally i think a minor v chord moving to the minor 1 chord actually sounds nice. ovbiously the dominant v chord makes the transition a little more "natural" sounding, but a minor v really keeps the sad, depressed feeling of a minor key. (in my opinion obviously).
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic