I'm looking at getting my first valve amp. I have about £500 to spend and I have tried the Orange tiny terror and the Fender Blues Junior. I play blues, funk and rock. Is there any other amps I should test first before making my choice
You won't be disappointed with an Orange, just saying. However, Blackstar are coming up with the goods to suggest that they are a great sounding amp company. What sort of wattage are you thinking?

Guitar:
Gibson Les Paul Studio (Goldy)
Fender American Stratocaster (Blacky)

Amplifier:
Orange Dual Terror Head W/ Orange 1 x 12 Cab
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals/Extras:
BOSS ME-70
BOSS Micro BR

Youtube: DaveTheOriginal
I'd take a look at the Vox Night Train and the Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18, the latter coming to stores in summer.
There's a load of amps that would suit you, you havent scraped the surface of what you could do with £500.

Laney VC30
Laney LC30
Used Laney VC50 (Combo version the VH head, they arent made any more)
Laney Cub 12R
Laney Lionheart 5
Orange Dual Terror
Orange TH30
Egnater Tweaker
Egnater Rebel
Used Vox AC30cc
Used Vox AC15 handwired
Blackstar HT
Peavey Classic 30
Bogner Alchemist
Used Peavey Delta Blues
VHT Lead 20 / 40
VHT Classic 18

off the top of my head..
Quote by DaveTheOriginal
You won't be disappointed with an Orange, just saying
How do you figure?
- The Tiny Terror doesn't sport much clean headroom, so at higher volumes, his cleans will be distorted...
- It has mushy overdrive, IMO...
- Probably a lot more options these days, since the TT first came out..
The TT is one of the best overdriven amps if you want a zep or acdc tone and with a booster it can do alot of great metal but i will agree that the cleans arent loud enough for gigs
im not sure on the conversion but if 500lbs is around $800usd I would recommend a used 65' deluxe reverb re issue. in my opinion the best amp fender has ever produced. re-issue or original. 22watts, big enough wattage to stay clean, low enough wattage to get dirty without going completely deaf
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Blackstar HT20+112 Cab
I've got one of them as my first valve amp
I chose it over a nighttrain,Tiny Terror and Jet City 20 watt head
It is REALLY versatile, and the 2 channel feature is nice, espically on a low wattage amp
^ +1

thomann has a deal on the ycv50b. I can't see you getting anything much better for £400 (certainly new).

Though I hear changing tubes is a bit of a faff with it- have to take out the whole chassis or some such guff.

Quote by DaveTheOriginal
(a) You won't be disappointed with an Orange, just saying. (b) However, Blackstar are coming up with the goods to suggest that they are a great sounding amp company. What sort of wattage are you thinking?

(a) wow i guess my opinion regarding the TT is wrong then

(b) yeah nothing makes an amp sound good like a pack of lies in the marketing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na ENGLLLLLL ENGLLLL ENGLLLLLL....

Thunder.

Easily had for under £500 2nd hand.

Though the Traynor is also a great shout.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
oh yeah if you could pick up a used screamer for that, that'd be an excellent call too, as long as he likes the tones to be a bit more american and bright. EDIT: I say screamer because I've never managed to try a thunder
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I felt like the Thunder was softer, more laid back.

Great cleans and a lovely crunch, its also a lot simpler, more plug and play and does a lot of the work for you.

I loved it.

Though I need to stop recommending ENGL everywhere I go

Also one Orange amp that would also be great.

The Rocker 30 Combo.

Awesome with added awesome. Though can only be found 2nd hand, when I bought mine it was the last new one in the UK

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Apr 22, 2011,
ah if that's the case it might be even better than the screamer for what he wants
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thejester
500lbs

You sir just made my day.

TS: Blues Junior is good for lightly overdriven blues/rock.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Quote by MM14
yeah have a look out for the tubemeister 18
That is a really tasty looking amp head, yum.

You sir just made my day.

i dont know how to do the little squigly. its all in good faith
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Yeah on our keyboards here you get one but the correct way of typing it is just Pounds (No shortening except £
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Quote by I'mOnAPlain
Yeah on our keyboards here you get one but the correct way of typing it is just Pounds (No shortening except £

honestly thank you, i will no longer feel like a moron when it comes to this.

theres a blackheart bh15 modded by RAT amps on a certain auction site for £449. id get that if i was you!
Thinking Tweaker again for this one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll throw this company out there. Made by Crate, they have a 15w (Handsome Devil), a 5w (Little Giant) and a 100w (don;t know the name). For a starter tube, I'd stay away from the 100w, you'll get evicted

They are good for classic rock and blues. The Little Giant should run about $200 USD, but if you have the cash, get the Devil. Just heads, I don't know how much the combos are.

I own the Lil Giant.
Pain is temporary. Stupid is forever. - Some really friggin' smart dead dude
Quote by Tom 1.0
I felt like the Thunder was softer, more laid back.

Great cleans and a lovely crunch, its also a lot simpler, more plug and play and does a lot of the work for you.

I loved it.

Though I need to stop recommending ENGL everywhere I go

Also one Orange amp that would also be great.

The Rocker 30 Combo.

Awesome with added awesome. Though can only be found 2nd hand, when I bought mine it was the last new one in the UK

Thought you HATED the Thunder?!?