So yes, as the title states I ordered an 8 string yesterday. For those of you curious here's what's coming my way:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Schecter-DIAMOND-SERIES-DCGL-Hellraiser-C-8-Electric-Green-Metallic-2011-8-String-Electric-Guitar-P4401C456.aspx?UserID=18266923&SessionID=yfbSvbhfxdSAOv7nrYKD

Unlike most people who get 8's and want to use it for drop E or something ridiculous like that, I'm going to be tuning it up to drop G, it will end up being G-D-G-C-F-Bb-D-G. I have been using a 7 in drop G, so basically I'm adding a high string to my setup instead of a low.

Here's my problem. I'm going to have to order my strings online, and I knew this going into it but I need advice. I've been playing a D'addario set that's 10-59 on my 7 with a 26.5 scale neck, the low G was a little floppy but not bad, I'll prob move up some just to keep things tighter. The 8 will have the same scale and the easiest setup after some extensive browsing looks like get a ernie ball 7 pack 9-52 and throwing a single 64 on top.

The thing I'm worried about is the high G, would the 9 snap tuned up that high?
if ur tuning up a step and a half ur gonna need something thicker. itll work for awhile but with a 9 id b def worried about string breakage. maybe use a 12?
Hey man, ignore alivezao. Thicker strings equal more tension, if there's too much tension, the string breaks. For example, if you take a G-string (around 17) and tune it up to E, it would snap. A 9 would probably work, but if you want to be careful, use an 8.
Quote by alivezao
if ur tuning up a step and a half ur gonna need something thicker. itll work for awhile but with a 9 id b def worried about string breakage. maybe use a 12?

Completely the opposite. With a long scale and tuning up, a 12 would break much more easily than a 9. That's why bass strings are larger gauge than the treble strings...
8 gauge are commonly available, and i've seen companies that make smaller strings purely for tuning up.
Thanks for the info and sorry for the double post, my computer froze and then wacked out so somehow it got posted in a diff forum.

Ernie Ball does sell .008s as singles so getting lighter won't be a problem, I'm just trying to keep things as simple as possible considering it's going to be a pain in the @$$ as it is.