I've put up my Peavey 5150 on craigslist to see what was out there in an effort to get a nice trade. It was originally a combo converted to a head, so 60w instead of 120w and it's voiced a bit darker.

I've been offered a Randall RM100 head with new EL34s but without any modules. These go for a nice price, but I doubt I have the money to buy the modules at the moment. However, if they are THAT impressive I'd consider trading it.

Another offer I've gotten is a modded Marshall JCM900 SLX head. I've played JCM800s, but not the 900. I'd pretty much have to do a blind trade without being really able to test either amp out.

tl;dr - Randall Rm100 or modded Marshall JCM900SLX. I play progressive metal, stoner metal (The Sword), etc. Is either worth trading a 5150 for?

EDIT: Also, opinions on a mint 80s Peavey VTM 60?
Last edited by polishedbullet at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by polishedbullet
Not to be a major asshole or anything, but have you played either amp or just from youtube videos? Just looking at your sig..

Played 5150 at a GC. SLX- Youtube.
Yes, the sig IS sad. (shrugs) dont have any cash to buy dream amp/guitar.
EDIT: It was a block letter 212. The one with the Sheffields.
The guy had imported 5 of those, had them marked at USD 1.5 grand (import taxes are a bitch), later dropped it to 950 cause no one every bought them.

The sid DOES say "shut up" beside the mg you know......
Im sure even MatrixClaw was a noob sometime in the long distant past....
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 22, 2011,
if the randall had 1 high gain module to compete with the 5150 ehh....maybe
if it had 2 or more modules then yes. each module is about 200 bucks i believe

trade for a jcm900 "modded" uh NO

the vtm 60 is a pretty nice amp. it has this preamp voicing DIP switch thing that i find quite cool. i want one as a backup or just to have one. they sell on the cheap on ebay quite often. would i trade a 5150 for it hell no.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
there is just something about the jcm900 that i dont like. i cant really put my finger on it.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

The slx is a pretty sick amp. Got to play one once, it was great for high gain, better than my 6260, which I feel comparable to the pv. Unless you only plan on trading, I shy away from the randall. Modules get hellaspensive
BTW to the guy that dislikes the 900, this isn't a regular 900. It's like, the super pimped out awesome, what Marshall should've made to begin with 900. Just clearing that up
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Apr 22, 2011,
oh snap. i stand corrected!
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Yeah the jcm900 slx is a good amp. The regular jcm900 had diode clipping and this replaced all that with a lovely tube stage

IN THE UK i'm not sure a 6505 to an slx will be an even trade. In america i dont really know since the values are kinda shifted the other way.
sounds like the jcm isnt too bad, i know the randall can be very versatile with all the different modules but at $200 each that can get pricey
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
you guys are ****ing morons.

get the sl-x. the randall is a miserable attempt at an amp when you compare it to it.

i played a 6505 and a 5150 for a bit and UPGRADED to the sl-x.

yes, it does metal. yes, it does metal well.
mojostompboxes.com
You can get the modules used from the Randall MTS forum for less than $200 most of the time.

Either way (between the SL-X and Randall MTS) you can't go wrong, they're both great amps.

The VTM is great too, but it's single channel. If I understand this correctly, The VTM was the predecessor of the Ultra series, which preceded the XXX, which preceded the 3120, and they all have similar amounts of gain and voicing.

Quote by greeny23
you guys are ****ing morons.

get the sl-x. the randall is a miserable attempt at an amp when you compare it to it.

i played a 6505 and a 5150 for a bit and UPGRADED to the sl-x.

yes, it does metal. yes, it does metal well.

kylendm's clips would disagree with you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i thought the vtm was the predecessor to the 5150.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
i thought the vtm was the predecessor to the 5150.

lol wut
Guitars
Amps
In my experience, which is heavy with marshalls, the SLX is light years better than the normal 900. Check out the Marshall Forums for more in-depth comparisons.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
About the vtm, I read that last month when I was researching this amp. I was gonna buy one. But whatever. It's an awesome amp anyway.

I'd still keep the 5150.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Keep your 5150 or get the randall. A one channel amp is pushing it for progressive metal IMO.
/rig
i don't know that i would do either not being able to test them.

of the two i'd probably jump on the SLX, if i knew it was legit.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I should change OP: I can test out the SLX, but not the Randall because it's empty and I'd have to shell another $700 out for the modules, which is money I don't have.

So it has come down to --- 5150 vs. SLX

It's pretty much just gonna come down to personal preference I'm guessing now. How do you think the SLX will sound with V30s?
I would keep the 5150. But it really depends on what you want to sound like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by polishedbullet

It's pretty much just gonna come down to personal preference I'm guessing now. How do you think the SLX will sound with V30s?

probably very good.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.