Budget: 200$

Genre: Metal, Blues, Classic/Hard Rock, Country

Preferances: I'd want something that would get really good OD for metal (like Pantera, or Black Label Society or Metallica, something of that nature)

Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul
Line 6 Spider 4 15w (but im upgrading very soon to ....something, i havnt decided)
Digitech RP355

what are some of the best OD pedals out there? I've heard that the Metal Muff is, and i've heard the Fulltone OD pedal is...but im askin you guys, what are your preferances

EDIT: I'd like either the whole "Pantera, Metallica" Metal sound, or something a bit smoother and warmer, like a Carlos Santana kind of OD, if there is such a thing
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 22, 2011,
well an od wont help at all with ur spider
you use an od with a tube amp to hit the tubes harder and add more harmonic distortion
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Put that money towards the new amp you're saving for. And something like the Fulltone OD isn't going to make you sound like metallica. You'd need a Boss Metal Zone or something...
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Put that money towards the new amp you're saving for. And something like the Fulltone OD isn't going to make you sound like metallica. You'd need a Boss Metal Zone or something...

Or perhaps a wall of dual rectos? Either ways good.
Quote by dannycasevnx
Or perhaps a wall of dual rectos? Either ways good.

Yeah that would work a bit better

Just saying an OD isn't going to go anywhere near metal
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
ok....as i state guys....I AM BUYING A NEW AMP....im just wanting recommendations for some good OD pedals for when i do decide to buy one....

god damn lol, i swear...cant say anything about Line 6 without 50000 people telling me to buy something new
Get the new amp first. Then decide what you want done with your sound. You might change your mind and decide you don't need one anymore
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
That may be the case but they are right. An OD into a line 6 spider will not get you a good metallica tone no matter how much you spend on the pedal.

But if you must have an OD buy a cheap SD-1 or bad monkey and put the rest toward a new amp.
ok....say i have a Randall RT50c amp....forget i EVER mentioned the Line 6

what would you recommend then.....im just wanting to know of some pedals that are just commonly accepted as really good OD pedals...and i would like you all to recommend some...

is that to hard to ask for?
The Metal Muff comes very close to the Pantera sound IMHO, but it doesn't clean up real well for smoother overdrive.

What kind of amp were you looking at? Clean platform type amp, or something you'd use with a boost?
Quote by sammo_boi
Get the new amp first. Then decide what you want done with your sound. You might change your mind and decide you don't need one anymore

this.

and then there's the fact that every pedal sounds different depending on what amp you're using
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
i dunno... I've been looking at several Krank amps and Randall amps

mostly the Krank Rev Jr Pro 50w and the Randall RT50c....both of which seem really good
you need to have the new amp before we can give you a good workable suggestion. the EH Metal Muff is a distortion pedal which is very different from an overdrive. your best bet will be to see how much you like the distortion from your new amp. at that point you'll have a better idea of what is needed if anything.

be happy that people will tell you what you really need. does it make sense to spend $200 on a pedal so you can plug it into a $99 amp
Quote by monwobobbo
you need to have the new amp before we can give you a good workable suggestion. the EH Metal Muff is a distortion pedal which is very different from an overdrive. your best bet will be to see how much you like the distortion from your new amp. at that point you'll have a better idea of what is needed if anything.

be happy that people will tell you what you really need. does it make sense to spend $200 on a pedal so you can plug it into a $99 amp

yes, im happy i am getting recommendations, but it seems people are completely avoiding the point of why i posted this thread....

im just looking for pedals to give the tones i posted up...not 10 people telling me to buy a new amp, because i am very soon...i havnt decided on what i want yet...but i will be buying a new one very soon....probably this summer

i'm already dumping around 700$-1000$ on an amp...

just so you guys know...these are all the amps im looking into, since i apparently should burn my Line 6 then piss on it:

1. Carvin V3m
2. Krank Rev Jr Pro 50w
3. Randall RT50c
4. Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 18
5. Kustom '36 Coupe
6. Vox Night Train
7. Peavey Classic 30
8. Blackstar HT-40 Venue Series....or Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
9. Egnater Tweaker Head/Cab set
10. Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
11. Fender Frontman 100w 212r
12. Orange Tiny Terror or Dual Terror
13. Bugera 333xl 212 Combo
14. Mesa Mark IV if i could find it used...

so obviously...i have alot of amps on my list...and theres several i didnt list...these arnt in any specific order...but from the list the ones that stick out to me are the Blackstars, the H&K TubeMeister, Randall RT50c and the Krank Rev Jr Pro 50w.

you guys are welcome to criticize the list, or tell me ones i need to take off/add etc.
Hahah well it seems you should've posted a thread on which amp to buy. Your first post wasn't very convincing that you would actually get a new amp. Most people will get the impression you're just another noob.

From that list of amps. I'd take off the Fender Frontman because it is a shitty solid state, and is well... just shit. Also the peavey classic 30, vox night train and the kustom '36 probably aren't going to get you a very good metal tone. With the right pedal maybe but you're better off with other amps on that list.

The Bugera 333xl is extremely versatile and does all the tones you want well. The Orange Dual Terror is actually amazing. I fell in love with it when I played it. That's what I would go for personally. It is a beast of an amp
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Hahah well it seems you should've posted a thread on which amp to buy. Your first post wasn't very convincing that you would actually get a new amp. Most people will get the impression you're just another noob.

From that list of amps. I'd take off the Fender Frontman because it is a shitty solid state, and is well... just shit. Also the peavey classic 30, vox night train and the kustom '36 probably aren't going to get you a very good metal tone. With the right pedal maybe but you're better off with other amps on that list.

The Bugera 333xl is extremely versatile and does all the tones you want well. The Orange Dual Terror is actually amazing. I fell in love with it when I played it. That's what I would go for personally. It is a beast of an amp

lol, thank you...its quite an impressive list if i may say so myself...

dont be surprised if i post up a thread either tonight or tomorrow with this list up asking which would give the best tones...and ya, your right, i probably should have posted this up first...

and ya i've been told that the Bugera 333xl is amazing
get a low wattage valve amp, like the blackstar ht-5. crank it up and put a tubscreamer in front of it!
would that help it? lol, i've never thought about doing that
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
what do you need the amp for? i have a modded epiphone valve junior head that is 5 watt, i plug it into a marshall 2x12 cab and run a maxon od808 in front of it. it sounds killer, enough gain for old metallica stuff but maybe not enough for mordern metal. i sometimes use an eq pedal to give it a boost. its plenty loud enough for band practice and small gigs.
Quote by selkies
you use an od with a tube amp to hit the tubes harder and add more harmonic distortion

this is completely wrong. just because that is what a lot of people use it for does not mean that is the only thing overdrive pedals do. in fact, it doesnt even mean that is what they were originally intended for!
the original intent of an overdrive pedal was to get the sound of a mildly overdriven tube amp in a pedal format. if you set the level knob so it is unity with the amp, and then use the drive knob (on a tubescreamer type pedal) to get some overdrive, it wont clip the front end of a solid state amp. and you get some nice overdrive sounds with it (depending on the pedal of course).

now to (not quite) answer the question, the problem is that there are so many overdrives it is hard to list the "best." if used with a tube amp to push it (as in, the opposite of what i was talking about before), the amp plays a huge part in producing the overdrive tone. a lot of people like tubescreamer style pedals for metal because they boost the mids a bit, and a lot of more metal geared amps have a bit of a mid scoop. if running that same pedal on a more mid-heavy amp, it may not work quite as well.
so for now, i say focus on picking your amp. after that you will have a better idea of what you need.

but if you just want some suggestions, look into some modded tubescreamers (i love my keeley modded ts-9), maybe the blackstar ht pedals, or some of the other fulltone pedals like the fulldrive.