Page 1 of 2
Thinking about getting this amp. Heard a lot of great things, and I need all the pedals included. I have a couple questions and I just want to know if you guys like it or not.

Is the footswitch easy to use? How many pedals can you set up to use?

Is this good for heavy metal?
I play lots of different genres, but a tight heavy metal sound is necessary.
How's the clean channel?

If you own it, give me a yay or nay

Thanks guys!!
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
I'm a fan. Played a few at stores. Keep in mind they're more oriented to practice type settings. I still have an old Spider that has and is serving me well. Try one out first and see if it's what you want. I had an HD147 and found the foot switch on that to be really really easy to use. If it's anything like the Spider's, you'll be fine. The onboard features are good enough to make do but being digital, there may be some discrepancies compared to the real deal. All in all they make good amps, especially for the price. Obviously there are better amps out there but if it's what you're looking for and does the job you need, they're tough to beat.
if your sig shows that you own a mustang AANNNNNDDD a vyper.....why would you want to buy another modeling amp????
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Glad somebody pointed this out.

TS save your money, or sell all of those modelers and buy something like the HD147 or Peavey Vypyr tube if you want a hi gain modeling amp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Got a feeling he be trollin' Checked his posts and they were talking about getting a 6505, why would he suddenly want a 4x12 Spider?
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
great amp.

with the EMGs it will really outshine every modeling amp out there.

they have special chips designed to work with active pups.

anyone who says otherwise is simply misleading you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks to the post before this for actually sticking to subject : D
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by robbo546hall
Got a feeling he be trollin' Checked his posts and they were talking about getting a 6505, why would he suddenly want a 4x12 Spider?

Does it matter? The 6505 was a pain in the ass to me. Sold it. Want another modeling amp. Thanks for your help!!
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by BrandonBeaux
Wait...Line 6 made a 4x12 SPIDER?
Dude, honestly, your money could be better spent. Have you ever considered at least the Peavey Vypyrs?

I have a little 15w vyper. I love it! But it doesn't have enough distortion and effects options. Line 6 steps it up in both areas to me with a better metal tone.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise the Spider 4x12 is a pretty good amp. I mean it's not the best, it's high gain is really good but maybe not QUITE as good as a Mesa Dual Rec, and it's cleans are really nice though, much better than a Fender Twin Reverb. I only have experience with the 2x12, but apparantly in the 4x12 they are using technology from NASA for the modelling, really advanced stuff.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Ya that's what I've heard. I don't have access to play this amp anywhere near me. So I need your guyses input. The HD147 is way too much for me. I'm really not that big on gigging anyway I just need an amp that has a nice well rounded tone with a bunch of effects. Plus an insane metal/lead tone I love the look of the footswitch on these too. The one you have to buy separately anyway mkII? I think
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Last edited by EVH-SETH at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by EVH-SETH
Thanks to the post before this for actually sticking to subject : D

you are very welcome.
Quote by gregs1020
you are very welcome.

lolz

Anyways, I hope you're talking about the spider valve.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Nope. Spider IV HD150 half stack
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
I once plugged straight into a spider 4x12. The tone was pretty great. Better then any other spiders i've ever heard...
yea the spider valve has issues.

tubes going microphonic and giving out mid gig...

waste. of. money.
Based on his gear list i may assume this is a serious thread.

If So....

If your honestly looking into getting a Line 6 head with a 4x12 go the route of an old Flextone II head. Has really nice tone and can be picked up fo r a lot cheaper than a brand new Spider IV, and is just all around plain better.

If this thread isnt serious, you sir by no means original.
You're fully misunderstanding the built in effects of the Line 6 by the way - the MKII pedal doesn't let you use them as you might think.

All that does it let you have 4 channel presets, with their effects saved in. So theoretically you can have a distortion and a clean channel, one clean, one distorted, one clean w/ effects, one distorted w/ effects.

If you want a modelling amp, save up for more money and get the HD147 or whatevers its called, the Flextone is even better (get the 2x12 used, you don't NEED a 4x12 halfstack) or the Vetta used. Saw a Vetta halfstack + longboard selling for $1k on my craigslist recently.
This is just one big troll thread
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I would just like to state i wasnt lieing when i said i heard the best tone i'd ever heard from a line 6 spider when i plugged my guitar straight into the line 6 spider 4x12!
please tell me we are talking about the tube series?

i actually heard those miced up at a gig and they sounded surprsingly good. earned my respect. then again, for 2x12 50-100 watter or whatever tube seres they were, they retail at about 800 bucks. for that you should have a decent sound.

if we are talking the solid state spider series, there is no arguement. they are as a whole probably the worst amps currently being sold. they are 100% useless as a guitar amp if you actually care about how you sound.

i know this because i amp sitting next to one. it is perminently used an a 8 inch speaker i pod dock running a 1/8 inch line in. that is ALL its good for. 90 bucks for the loudest i pod dock on the planet.
On the off-chance that the threadstarter is not a massive troll:

It's a seriously shoddy amp and the half-stack version was introduced to trick beginners into thinking they can get a big, awesome amp with lots of different sounds built-in on the cheap.

When you buy a new amp, there are three things that many people want them to be:
1) good
2) big
3) cheap

However, for any given amp, you can only have two of these things at best. The Spider is definitely cheap, and this one being a half-stack, it's also big. So we've reached the maximum of desirable traits available in an amp. It's not a good amp. God, no. Sweet Jesus, what were you thinking? You're killing me, man.

(And before you ask, yes, I have tried it an it's full of fail and poop.)
Quote by AcousticMirror
I think you'll really like it.

It's really worth the money.

this.

do not listen to anyone calling you a troll. they are just jelly you will have a way better distortion tone than any idiots out there buying expensive tube amps.

I've never really understood why people buy so many amps and pedals when you can just buy one of these and have everything..
modeling is the way to go. honestly. valves are a big hassle. and in like 2 years they won't even make them anymore.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
What the hell is a troll?!? I'm serious about this amp and I wanted your opinions on it!!! Jeeeeez thank you to all the posts who have actually helped. Even if you did call me a troll or whatever and I think I am going to get this amp. It's set in motion. Now what do you guys think of the shortboard? It's like 200 more bucks. Is it worth it? What can it do? Thanks again guys.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by AcousticMirror
modeling is the way to go. honestly. valves are a big hassle. and in like 2 years they won't even make them anymore.

Agreed. That's the main reason I'm switching over. The hassle of tubes drives me crazy. I apologize to all the tube lovers out there. It's just not my style. Tried it
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by EVH-SETH
Agreed. That's the main reason I'm switching over. The hassle of tubes drives me crazy. I apologize to all the tube lovers out there. It's just not my style. Tried it

no other amp on the planet sounds like the insane channel and EMGs.

none.

period.

fact.
Beats the hell outta the MG's "crushing overdrive". Everyone knows that Spider on Insane>MG any day of the week.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
I am learning a lot from this thread. Yes I also love that insane setting, with my 81. I wish I had the money to buy a 4x12 spyder though. I heard some guy playing one in the shop, man I was impressed with the amp and his playing, he could play MOPuppets.
Quote by Tempoe
I am learning a lot from this thread. Yes I also love that insane setting, with my 81. I wish I had the money to buy a 4x12 spyder though. I heard some guy playing one in the shop, man I was impressed with the amp and his playing, he could play MOPuppets.

MOP isn't that hard...

and it's definately different than toobs, but when you like it, buy it
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Yes, thank you all again. I'm 99.9 percent positive I purchase. I'm excited lol. I got EMG 85/81 set too in my main guitar too so I'm glad it's got good distortion with those pickups
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by EVH-SETH
Yes, thank you all again. I'm 99.9 percent positive I purchase. I'm excited lol. I got EMG 85/81 set too in my main guitar too so I'm glad it's got good distortion with those pickups

no other amp can get that tone.

you are going to friggin' love it.
Quote by EVH-SETH

only things you ned to listen to:

-test it before buying ( try with YOUR guitar )
-listen carefully and try as long as you can

have fun
and make a NAD
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Page 1 of 2