Hello.

I am currently taking guitar lessons, and my thumb hurts on the fretting hand when i play power chords.

Is this normal?
Aches the more i play.

I can play through it. I think it may be the stretch thats killing it.
i'd take a few days off. you might have some tendonitis or muscle strain in there. take some anti inflammatories (ibuprofen) and ice it for 20 minutes 5 times a day. if it still hurts after that or if the pain is in the joint, you might want to see somebody about it.
I get this playing acoustic mostly. I highly recommend stretching out your hands before you play. stretch your wrist, your fingers, your thumb and massage them gently for a few minutes.
Stretch your shoulders and neck too. If you're good and warmed up you should be fine.

It's always with power and barre chords for me. try out a few inversions with less barring just to mix it up a little, or bring your thumb over the neck instead of barring the low E with your index finger.
Quote by RyanGillam
Hello.

I am currently taking guitar lessons, and my thumb hurts on the fretting hand when i play power chords.

Is this normal?

... Why are you asking us when you pay someone to answer these questions?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
... Why are you asking us when you pay someone to answer these questions?

This. Your teacher should really be answering that sort of question for you.

You're either not positioning your thumb correctly on the neck or you're applying too much pressure to sound a note. You don't need all that much pressure to sound a note on the guitar, even for barre chords, it's all about finger positioning and knowing how to apply the least amount of pressure for the most results.

Your teacher should be able to tell you how to achieve that, if they can't, get a new teacher because if your teacher can't fix something as simple as that, they don't know what they're doing.
You're doing it wrong, plain as that. If this were barre chords, then okay, but it's power chords so something's wrong w/ your technique.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"