Page 1 of 3
Hey guys whats up...i know i posted something similar a while ago but im hoping i get a better definite decision out of the post on this thread

WARNING: there will be alot to read in the coming thread....and i mean alot....but please help anyway

Budget: 1000$

Genre: Metal, Blues, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Country (but my main two styles are classic rock and blues)

Idols: Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana, Randy Rhoades, Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammet, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Scotty Moore, Dimebag Darrell...theres others

State of Amp: Tube...new or used, it doesnt matter to me...but i'd rather buy new

Use: Bedroom practice and band practice. Im not gigging yet, but i do practice with a band AND i practice in my bedroom, so it has to be quiet/loud enough for both

AMPS I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING AT:
1. Carvin V3m- http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=V3M
2. Krank Rev Jr Pro 50w- http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=V3M
3. Randall RT50c- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RT-Series-RT50C-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423953
4. Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 18- http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=142&prod=TubeMeister%2018%20Head
5. Kustom '36 Coupe- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-36-Coupe-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480794#used
6. Vox Night Train- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Night-Train-NT15HV112NT-Half-Stack?sku=485159
7. Peavey Classic 30- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481014
8. Blackstar HT-40 Venue Series http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Club-40-40W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423768
9. Egnater Tweaker Head/Cab set- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Tweaker-Series-Head-and-Tweaker-112X-Half-Stack?sku=424080
10. Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bogner-Alchemist-Series-112-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483407
11. Orange Tiny Terror or Dual Terror- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Orange-Amplifiers-Dual-Terror-DT30H-30W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=424048#used
12. Bugera 333xl 212 Combo- http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/333XL-212.aspx
13. Mesa Mark IV if i could find it used...

sorry for that mess of a list...hopefully you can sort through it

I know that most tube amps are one trick ponys but you CAN find tube amps that are really versatile under 1000$...and im looking for one. Im currently upgrading my entire rig and i figured i might as well upgrade my amp first. As previously mentioned i have a budget of 1000$ so i would like to keep it under that (so no "ohhh buy an engl powerball 120w" stuff...because you'll be ignored.)

Please help, because i've been searching for a good tube for quite a while (hopefully as you can tell with this list i've compiled up). Im in a band that plays contemporary rock, so it has to have very good gains, with almost perfect cleans.

Also (as previously stated) i would want to keep the wattage decent...not 120w-blow-my-mother-loving-mind loud....it has to be loud enough to be with a band, but quiet enough to be in a bedroom area, thats why i figured something around 20w-50w would be nearly perfect for me.

If you actually read through all this and posted, thank you so much. I've been in a "amp dilemma" for nearly 4 months now. I dont have any music stores within 5 hours of where i live, so i dont get to go out and try these out much, so any help you can give i would be highly appreciative.

THANKS GUYS!!!! YOU ALL RULE!
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 22, 2011,
No Peavey JSX/XXX ?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If you stretch a little on your budget, the Egnater Renegade Head/Cab comes onto the table, or try and find one used. Thats my suggestion
Quote by Tom 1.0
No Peavey JSX/XXX ?

i'll be honest...i completely forgot that one, i'll edit it in...that was actually one of the first amps i ever thought about upgrading to...but i cant find one ANYWHERE...atleast...not for a decent price
Quote by telemetal
If you stretch a little on your budget, the Egnater Renegade Head/Cab comes onto the table, or try and find one used. Thats my suggestion

i certainly looked into the Renegade...i've been told by many a man that that is a great amp. I'll look it up, and if its not TOO FAR of a stretch, i'll add it lol
Assuming your in America, the head is about $1000, not sure about the cab though. If you go for the combo, its about $1200 I think, and that's new
I'd say an ENGL Powerball 120w will suite you
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
1. Buy all amps from a place with a 14 day money back guarantee
2. Post an amazing NAD, with clipz and picz
3. Become a UG legend
4. Fap
5. Keep your favourite out of the 13 amps, returning the other 12
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
1. Buy all amps from a place with a 14 day money back guarantee
2. Post an amazing NAD, with clipz and picz
3. Become a UG legend
4. Fap
5. Keep your favourite out of the 13 amps, returning the other 12

lol, that sounds pretty good...if only there was a store/place i could get a 14 day money back gaurantee

tho...UG legend sounds good lol
The only thing on that list that will do everything you want is the Mark IV. The next closest would probably be the V3 (although it reminds me of a poor mans JSX/XXX)

Don't get me wrong, most of the other amps are decent in their own rights, but don't have nearly the versatility that you're looking for.
How about an Egnater Rebel? I've played both the Rebel and the Tweaker and the Tweaker just feels like it's missing something. The Rebel, however, does pretty much everything with aplomb (you may need a gain boost for some metal, but its hard rock tones are top-notch). It'll get the blues, classic rock and country tones, too. So it covers 4/5 styles with no pedals (better than can be said for anything else) and you can make it do metal with a boost.

And don't get me wrong, it's only 20 watts but it's LOUD (at least through a 4x12; through a 1x12 it's probably about right). I could barely touch the volume knob before blowing out half of the Guitar Center I was in. The variable wattage knobs really help.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I'd look into a Marshall JCM 800, idk if it's around $1000 used, but it would do most of those tones decently, but since you like classic rock and blues the most, a Marshall or a medium gain amp of some sort would do you best, and you can just boost it with a OD pedal into the metal territory.
Jet city jca50 and a decent od
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by LolCatGuitar
where do you live, we can scout out your craigslist for awesome amps/cabs
the new market is too much, used is so much better...

Louisville Kentucky

the closest cities to me are Louisville, Owensboro and Bowling Green if that helps...all are within 3 hours from where i live
I, personally would look into the alchemist. The cleans on it are to die for and the gain is pretty good for what you want
*Clean Sig*
I've heard good things from the alchemist, if i can find the head and a good cab for it under 1000$ i would definitely think about buying it. Theres a used one on Craigslist for 600$ i believe
lol, i know this may be the most irrelevant question posted ever on UG....

but what would you guys say to a Peavey Valveking (either 1x12 or 2x12) because some guy at a Guitar Center told me that it would play almost any genre very well...I didnt get to try it when i went because it was sold out but what do you guys think.....
The Valveking could cover most of the territory you want, but it won't do anything particularly well.
see, i didnt know if what he was telling me was just salesman garb or if he was actually telling the truth. From videos the Valveking seems alright and its at a good price...but its on the lower end of my list...i actually have like (no joke) 25 amps or so on that list...anytime i see a good amp in budget i'll flop it down on it....
OK, How good is the Peavey Classic 30? I've heard its really good and that the gains pretty well nail classic rock on the head...which is good, because i'd just buy a metal pedal if i wanted more gain
Quote by VintageAmigo
OK, How good is the Peavey Classic 30? I've heard its really good and that the gains pretty well nail classic rock on the head...which is good, because i'd just buy a metal pedal if i wanted more gain

For the price they're great. They do classic rock and blues really well, but not much else. I found they could get really really harsh on the clean channel when you crank them up. They also go through tubes like no amp I've ever seen before. A bandmate had one. He had one and it burnt through tubes every month or so. Switched to a new one, same problem, switched again, same problem, he finally gave up on it.

For a few hundred more 20 watt Hughes and Kettner Statesman will do everything a Classic 30 would but much, much better.

Still I don't think either would be entirely satisfying for your needs. I had a Classic 30 for a while (which also had problems) and a Statesman, and while good at what they did, they didn't really satisfy my needs.
I recently upgraded to a Peavey XXX 40 watt combo. I found it in Guitar Center for $350 used. You can also find it on ebay for around $500. I'm so far extremely happy with it. You can probably output it to a cab.
Quote by icronic
For the price they're great. They do classic rock and blues really well, but not much else. I found they could get really really harsh on the clean channel when you crank them up. They also go through tubes like no amp I've ever seen before. A bandmate had one. He had one and it burnt through tubes every month or so. Switched to a new one, same problem, switched again, same problem, he finally gave up on it.

For a few hundred more 20 watt Hughes and Kettner Statesman will do everything a Classic 30 would but much, much better.

Still I don't think either would be entirely satisfying for your needs. I had a Classic 30 for a while (which also had problems) and a Statesman, and while good at what they did, they didn't really satisfy my needs.

dang, really? wow...then i guess the Classic 30 is out of the question for me then...

i'll check out the statesman, i've seen it before but never looked into it.

and ya, i've heard alot of things about how that special something was lacking from the C30, from what i've heard, they are really thin...but idk
Quote by Mishakuz
I recently upgraded to a Peavey XXX 40 watt combo. I found it in Guitar Center for $350 used. You can also find it on ebay for around $500. I'm so far extremely happy with it. You can probably output it to a cab.

cool i'll look into it...lol from how it sounds, theres alot of good peavey amps
Well, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt because it is my first tube amp and I'm a bedroom guitarist, but I was really satisfied with both the cleans and distortion. What impressed me was how easy it was to dial in a nice tone. I found a sweet spot where all I have to do is play around with the volume knob and pickup selection and I can go from almost clean to 80's thrash metal tone on the 'Ultra' setting.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting!
Quote by Tom 1.0
No Peavey JSX/XXX ?

This! Very versatile amps, can't go wrong with either.

But from your list I like the Alchemist, the TubeMeister sounds pretty badass too but that's at least a 2-3 month wait away.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by littlephil
The Valveking could cover most of the territory you want, but it won't do anything particularly well.

nothing wrong with a VK. granted it isn't up to the Mesa MKIV this guy has but it costs 1/3 of what that amp does. the VK can work just fine for you and leave you some cash for other stuff. if you can find a used Mesa then that would be better. i have a VK and actually (believe it of not) chose it over several other amps that are often recommended here. you really should try out some amps and see what works for you.
Quote by Mishakuz
Well, you should take my opinion with a grain of salt because it is my first tube amp and I'm a bedroom guitarist, but I was really satisfied with both the cleans and distortion. What impressed me was how easy it was to dial in a nice tone. I found a sweet spot where all I have to do is play around with the volume knob and pickup selection and I can go from almost clean to 80's thrash metal tone on the 'Ultra' setting.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting!

what amp are you talking about? lol
Quote by edbert
This! Very versatile amps, can't go wrong with either.

But from your list I like the Alchemist, the TubeMeister sounds pretty badass too but that's at least a 2-3 month wait away.

honestly if i could find one, i would buy it...so long as it was in budget...i cant find a single one anywhere under budget

lol and yes...the tubemeister does look very awesome...plus you can plug headphones straight into the head and use it that way...which is a plus, because i could always but that, then save for a decent cab
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by VintageAmigo
what amp are you talking about? lol

Peavey XXX EFX 40
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
Quote by monwobobbo
nothing wrong with a VK. granted it isn't up to the Mesa MKIV this guy has but it costs 1/3 of what that amp does. the VK can work just fine for you and leave you some cash for other stuff. if you can find a used Mesa then that would be better. i have a VK and actually (believe it of not) chose it over several other amps that are often recommended here. you really should try out some amps and see what works for you.

*SORRY FOR THE MULTIPLE POSTINGS*

ya, thats the main reason i was looking into the valveking, because its cheap...seems good and i would even have quite a bit of money left over.

my current dilemma is this:
Buy a decent amp (probably the Valveking) and a new guitar (probably a fender)
or
Buy a great amp (something like 800$) and buy some decent pickups for my current guitar.
Quote by Mishakuz
Peavey XXX EFX 40

ill look into it...because it seems good...so long as i can find it under budget...and on a site for sale
Carvin X-100b. Variable power from 25/50/100 watt output, bias switch for EL34s, 6l6s, 5881s, effects loop. Terrific workhorse amps that are great bang for your buck. The new ones may have more features (? not sure though), though keep in mind the older models from the 80s go for hella cheap used as well. That may be something to look further into. They'll handle pretty much everything you've listed extremely well minus maybe modern metal, even then a good OD would do you well.

And maybe the Mesa F series (30, 50, 100) Also good little amps that can be found for a reasonable price used.
Quote by VintageAmigo
*SORRY FOR THE MULTIPLE POSTINGS*

ya, thats the main reason i was looking into the valveking, because its cheap...seems good and i would even have quite a bit of money left over.

my current dilemma is this:
Buy a decent amp (probably the Valveking) and a new guitar (probably a fender)
or
Buy a great amp (something like 800$) and buy some decent pickups for my current guitar.

depends on how you feel about your current guitar. now some will say that a great amp will turn a meh guitar into a tone machine but that is kinda misleading and not totally true. buy a guitar for great feel as that is what really counts. (it's not something that can be modded).
Quote by SayAnything
Carvin X-100b. Variable power from 25/50/100 watt output, bias switch for EL34s, 6l6s, 5881s, effects loop. Terrific workhorse amps that are great bang for your buck. The new ones may have more features (? not sure though), though keep in mind the older models from the 80s go for hella cheap used as well. That may be something to look further into. They'll handle pretty much everything you've listed extremely well minus maybe modern metal, even then a good OD would do you well.

And maybe the Mesa F series (30, 50, 100) Also good little amps that can be found for a reasonable price used.

cool, i've never been recommended those before...i'll look into them, im always glad to look up new amps
Quote by monwobobbo
depends on how you feel about your current guitar. now some will say that a great amp will turn a meh guitar into a tone machine but that is kinda misleading and not totally true. buy a guitar for great feel as that is what really counts. (it's not something that can be modded).

well my Les Paul is good, dont get me wrong...but its muddy...very very very muddy...and im assuming its the pickups that are causing it to be so muddy. Im trying to get some pickups that will brighten it up a bit...like the Alnico Pro 2's from seymour duncan or the even the Hot Rodded humbuggies from SD as well...im open to recommendations for those as well

EDIT: i like the Les Paul, but i think if i wanted it to be "perfect" for me...i'd have to alter it quite a bit...add new pickups...lower the action a tad bit...add 2 more frets lol

im actually wanting a guitar that is 24 frets, under 700$ and can play almost any genre of music...has to be good at bends, good for 2h tapping and good for classic rock...in stuck on Fender (Standard Strat), Ibanez (Ibanez 570dxqm) and ESP ( ESP LTD FX-360)...all of which are good guitars...

EDIT: BACK ON TRACK LOL

would this be a good deal? Its a Mesa Nomad 45w 212 combo and is 800$

i've come to learn that if you ever see a Mesa amp under 1000$...your more than likely going to be getting a really good deal
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 23, 2011,
Page 1 of 3