Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new amp to replace the Line 6 Spider III I currently have. I've gotten quite tired of the digital tone of the amp and there's just way more effects than I would ever need. I just want a good but not too pricey tube amp with a good clean tone. Looking at something with one speaker and something around a 50 watt probably, I don't need anything too big.

I plan on getting a pedal with multiple effects or just getting a few separate pedals to plug into it so I don't need distortion on the amp.

By the way I play metal and a bit of folk-ish/classical kind of stuff. I listen to and play Opeth, so I want to be able to get a very heavy, warm distortion, and also have a nice bluesy clean tone. (Hence the pedals)
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
ahh....Peavey Classic 30 with some pedals would be great

its around 650$ but you will probably not get better cleans anywhere else...and it takes pedals very very very very well

EDIT: or anything made by Fender, those guys make great quality amps. The gains on them generally arent anything spectacular...but with some pedals (or up the ante and get a Super Sonic...but they're like 900$+) almost anything is possible...for a price
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 22, 2011,
You sound exactly like me only i'm from the past.

Was sick of my spider III 75w as well and wanted a clean tone amp with a nice overdrive if i ever decided to go heavier. So i bought myself a Vox AC15C1 and absolutely love it. Think it has been one of the greatest things i ever spent money on. Would recommend it and not to be worried about 15W because it's loud enough to play a small venue and if gigging somewhere bigger (we all hope) just mic it up and retain the amazing tone.

Just to be a bit more unbiased maybe check out some Orange or Fender tube amps as well.
i would take a look at blackstar amps. you can get a 20, 40, or 60 watt amp, and they all some with a ton of ways for you to tweak your sound. its what i plan on getting when i save up enough cash.
pretty tall order and not something you'll get cheap. if you play metal than get an amp with at least decent distortion with a useable clean channel. perhaps something like a Peavey Valveking would do the trick. you'll need at least a good overdrive pedal to get Opeth sounds from it and the clean channel isn't bad at all. until you get to the nicer amps like Mesa don't expect any to excell at both ends of the spectrum.
Thanks for the help. So far I get that Fender, Peavey and Orange amps are good, which are all amps I've been looking at. And to monwobobbo, I know I'm not going to get some crazy perfect distortion tones on the amp I get right now, I'm just looking for a good, more natural sound than my current amp. I do plan on getting a Mesa, but way into the future as I'm not willing to pay 4,000 dollars for an amp at the moment.

Also if it's any help I'm using a PRS SE Custom 24 and an ESP LTD MH-53. I was talking to a guy at a guitar store earlier and he was suggesting the Marshall MG line to me, but I've never really heard anything good said about them. However, from what I heard of it, it had a pretty decent hi-gain channel. This could just be relative to what I've been using though, and I don't plan on being suckered into buying another amp I'll be unhappy with in a year (or less in the case of my Line 6).
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Quote by MasterOfCows
Thanks for the help. So far I get that Fender, Peavey and Orange amps are good, which are all amps I've been looking at. And to monwobobbo, I know I'm not going to get some crazy perfect distortion tones on the amp I get right now, I'm just looking for a good, more natural sound than my current amp. I do plan on getting a Mesa, but way into the future as I'm not willing to pay 4,000 dollars for an amp at the moment.

Also if it's any help I'm using a PRS SE Custom 24 and an ESP LTD MH-53. I was talking to a guy at a guitar store earlier and he was suggesting the Marshall MG line to me, but I've never really heard anything good said about them. However, from what I heard of it, it had a pretty decent hi-gain channel. This could just be relative to what I've been using though, and I don't plan on being suckered into buying another amp I'll be unhappy with in a year (or less in the case of my Line 6).

DO NOT WASTE YOUR CASH ON A MG. stick with the tube amp plan. the Valveking will bury the MG and it's not even a metal amp.
Quote by monwobobbo
DO NOT WASTE YOUR CASH ON A MG. stick with the tube amp plan. the Valveking will bury the MG and it's not even a metal amp.

Yeah I wasn't planning on getting the MG, just kinda curious what the big deal was about them. I guess it's that it's not a natural sound like a tube amp. Plus I thought they were overpriced anyway.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Quote by MasterOfCows

I'd keep the line6 over an MG, they're that bad.

So how much do you want to spend? You could probably find a used Mesa Mark IV for about $1000-1200 which will do just about anything.
look into an engl screamer combo. has brilliant cleans and can do lots of different types of gain. all the way from low gain blues to metal. I can't really give too much of a review on its metal tone though because thats not how i use it.
Quote by icronic
I'd keep the line6 over an MG, they're that bad.

So how much do you want to spend? You could probably find a used Mesa Mark IV for about $1000-1200 which will do just about anything.

I'm trying to spend under 500 dollars and spend some more money on pedals and such.

What are people's thoughts on buying a used amp? Because I know I can get them much cheaper at used stores but I'm just wondering if being used a lot wears an amp out or just breaks it in and makes it sound better. Because used would be my preference if that's a good idea.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Quote by MasterOfCows
I'm trying to spend under 500 dollars and spend some more money on pedals and such.

What are people's thoughts on buying a used amp? Because I know I can get them much cheaper at used stores but I'm just wondering if being used a lot wears an amp out or just breaks it in and makes it sound better. Because used would be my preference if that's a good idea.

Depends on the condition of the amp. If it's in good condition then there shouldn't be too much to worry about aside from possibly burnt out tubes, but they're fairly cheap to replace and a part of normal maintenance anyway. If you buy a solid state amp then really it makes no difference if it's new or used.

Now in my opinion you won't get the best bang for your buck if you spend $500 on an amp and the rest on some pedals. There are very few amps at that price that are good enough to really make decent use of pedals. So in the long run you're better off spending a little bit more on an amp and buying pedals at a later date.
I picked up my Fender HRD 40 watt combo for $400 USD used. I think that was kind of a freak scenario because those go for 700 new, and this thing was flawless. He said it sat in a closet for 3 years after he got his Twin Reverb.
I love my HRD, and has some of the cleanest sounds I've ever had, and its loud as ****
Quote by Slash_fanboy
I love my HRD, and has some of the cleanest sounds I've ever had, and its loud as ****

Yes. I had no idea it could get that loud. I'm actually thinking of swapping the 6L6s out for 6V6s to lower the wattage and the volume a tad.

Great sounding amp though.
My 112 Fender Hot Rod is on Craigslist. With the Digitech RP1000, you can cover alot of ground and that amp sounds decent. It can't touch my new amp however--the Fender Twin Reverb 65 reissue. Holy crap this thing is beautiful. I wish I'd bought it 30 years ago instead of wasting my time with Line 6 Shite and other assorted solid states and marshall half stacks (that have no clean capability). The Twin Reverb has gorgeous cleans and with the RP1000 (or any good distortion and good axe) will rip your freeeking head off in a way you'll like.
Ampeg's have the best cleans of any amp brand.
I have to put an overdrive in front of my VT-40 just to get it to do its whole super sexy tube breakup without having the channel volume maxed and master quite high.
Ampegs are renowned for their astounding cleans. They were also the most powerful amps of the time. Power being Watts.

Look for a used V4, pre-distortion model. I believe 1978 and older do not have distortion.
..I was watching my death.