So I've been playing for a few years and have gotten pretty technically proficient. When I started I wanted to be able to shred, run up and down scales, sweep, tap, all that stuff. Now after feeling like I've achieved all that I still feel empty. When my band stopped playing heavy metal and we decided to adventure is a softer direction, I now feel so lost. Are there any ideas or suggestions that people can give me in order to add some soul to my playing? I'd even be greatful if anyone could point me in the direction of some free backing tracks just to practice. Is there a beginning point that I could start at and then add some juice? I feel very frustrated and uninspired because with all the techniques I've aquired I feel unable to truly express myself. Please help
Cornell Dupree has a great book on R&B and soul playing - monster player. Also check out some Stax, Motown and Curtis Mayfield stuff.
My suggestion would be to just spend some time listening to David Gilmour, Santana, Jimi Hendrix and some old jazz arists.

They're all about the soul in their music, so try to absorb what they are doing and apply it to your own playing.
FREE SHIPPING,accept paypal
? good web believe you will love it.?
---Something unexpected surprise--

Hello. My friend

=== http://www.bsafebiz.com====

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you!!!

=== http://www.bsafebiz.com====

Believe you will love it.
exquisite watches shirts,bags,hat and the decorations.

wholesale shoes,clothing,

jordan shoes,nike shoes,lv,gucci

We have good reputation, fashion products,

favourable price.? ? ? ? ?FREE SHIPPING

BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!
SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!
FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!
It may not be your style but listening to Jack Johnson may help.

-using vibrato in your solos, to me wide vibrato is more soulful
-playing around with major (happy sounding) or minor (sad sounding) scales and chords
-raking
-slow arpeggios

These are some of the things that are helping me
Quote by Hunterlevi
So I've been playing for a few years and have gotten pretty technically proficient. When I started I wanted to be able to shred, run up and down scales, sweep, tap, all that stuff. Now after feeling like I've achieved all that I still feel empty. When my band stopped playing heavy metal and we decided to adventure is a softer direction, I now feel so lost. Are there any ideas or suggestions that people can give me in order to add some soul to my playing? I'd even be greatful if anyone could point me in the direction of some free backing tracks just to practice. Is there a beginning point that I could start at and then add some juice? I feel very frustrated and uninspired because with all the techniques I've aquired I feel unable to truly express myself. Please help

What technical players do you like?

Lets take one of them, and hopefully they do arpeggio runs. Lets ignore diminished cause they suck balls slow and sound much better faster in my opinion; take a major arpeggio and practice it at slow speeds. Some sound really good when you play them slow.

Try fusing your common scales with arpeggios, you'll find some BEAUTIFUL results really quickly. Nothing like a minor run off from a minor arpeggio if done right.

Vibrato is key, do it everywhere.

When playing soft, feel it out. The G string is your friend, it's the one where you can get some solid emotion out of (other than the highest notes).

Try playing some of your tech solos slower on the lower frets.

Choose a different tuning, and try adding in various new things like classical/jazz influences.

Get some effects out. Reverb, chorus flanger...bring it all out.

Listen to the melodic tracks in band and stuff

And above all, if you don't like the direction it's going... maybe it's not musically for you. If you enjoy flying 100 mph, then don't try and be slow and mellow. It will add diversity to you of course, but instruments are supposed to be fun you know
If you really like tech based stuff, try some neo-classical or transcribing stuff by Paganini (though some stuff he made on the violin just cannot be played on a guitar period)
: )
Last edited by Cjk10000 at Apr 22, 2011,
The problem is not that you don't have soul. It's that you might have stifled it by focusing on your technique to the exclusion of everything else. This is not uncommon.

I recently made a post about something very similar in fact. It was about a Greg Howe interview . They ask him what he thinks about not being properly trained. And he says that basically, some of the most proficient technically music-school educated guitarists know so much about theory and so much about technique, but they don't know what to do with any of it or make anything happen.

His advice? Listen to your favorite players. Then focus on what matters, not on everything you can find on guitar.

I would add that you also may be AFRAID of fully expressing who you are through guitar. You have the chops, you have the skills to do it, but the next step of letting your soul come out through MUSIC, that is actually very tough. Because it's art. There is no roadmap. And people may criticize your music. That is pretty scary for a lot of people. They're scared of being criticized. But you know what? That's what it takes to be a true artist. You have to push past that fear and just deliver the goods. Yes you will be criticized, but you'll get over it. Start expressing who you are, not just pumping out music. You can read more about this idea in Seth Godin's book, Linchpin.
Bend and hold, vibrato, bend further slow and hold with vibrato (Vibrato bar works great as well, subtle). David G's secret to success and soul.
You people act like soul is something you can successfully mimic from any musician.

The truth is that soul isn't the way you bend, vibrato, or any of that.
Soul simply means that you had a vision, and you expressed it through any means in your playing. It's a psychological connection to your playing.

You could be a jazz monster and still lack what it truly means to have soul, an emotional connection to a piece in hopes that you may one day communicate to the listener, urging them to interpret those goosebumps to something in they're own life. That's soul, it comes in all shapes and colors when it comes to anything in life. It's the way you live your life.
Last edited by realbebop at Apr 23, 2011,
If you need to be told how to feel emotions while you're playing, you're either a sociopath, a robot, or a lost cause.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If you need to be told how to feel emotions while you're playing, you're either a sociopath, a robot, or a lost cause.

You'd be surprised how many guitarists use the guitar as an outlet for demonstrating their technical skills, rather than expressing any meaningful message from within. The same goes for pianists, violinists, etc. It all depends what you focus on.
Quote by no bs johnny
You'd be surprised how many guitarists use the guitar as an outlet for demonstrating their technical skills, rather than expressing any meaningful message from within. The same goes for pianists, violinists, etc. It all depends what you focus on.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's just a very silly question asking how to feel while playing. You just do it and it's that simple.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Look into players that play with "soul", people often mean very melodic guitarists when speaking of soul.

I´d say have a look at david gilmour, andy timmons, joe satriani, neal schon, john petrucci etc.

It might help you, good luck.
Whether or not something is played "with soul" is one of those completely subjective things in music. So the question that needs to be answered is what is your idea of soulful playing TS?
Quote by realbebop
You people act like soul is something you can successfully mimic from any musician.

The truth is that soul isn't the way you bend, vibrato, or any of that.
Soul simply means that you had a vision, and you expressed it through any means in your playing. It's a psychological connection to your playing.

You could be a jazz monster and still lack what it truly means to have soul, an emotional connection to a piece in hopes that you may one day communicate to the listener, urging them to interpret those goosebumps to something in they're own life. That's soul, it comes in all shapes and colors when it comes to anything in life. It's the way you live your life.

This

I think that it comes through the guitar by some techniques more than others, though:

Bending and vibrato of course
Groove/phrasing

Working on these things won't give you soul, but might allow you to express yourself better narrowing the mind/guitar gap
It's a hard thing to explain OP, but you should know it if you have it or not... I think it has a lot do to with artistic sensitivity... When you hear notes in a song can you understand what they "mean"? Like they are talking even though there are no words? That's the best way I can think to describe it
Quote by Guitarra_acores
This

I think that it comes through the guitar by some techniques more than others, though:

Bending and vibrato of course
Groove/phrasing

Working on these things won't give you soul, but might allow you to express yourself better narrowing the mind/guitar gap
It's a hard thing to explain OP, but you should know it if you have it or not... I think it has a lot do to with artistic sensitivity... When you hear notes in a song can you understand what they "mean"? Like they are talking even though there are no words? That's the best way I can think to describe it

+1
OP: You haven't mentioned any of these in your post. Stuff like this is just as if not more important to get down imho than pure speed and shred! The best players have all this and balance it out
Personally, I think the process for working on this kind of thing should go -

Feeling/Idea/Soul

Imagine what music expressing "Feeling/Idea/Soul" X would sound like.

Try to create something as close as possible to that sound with your instrument.

Go over this often until you can just improvise your feelings and ideas.
Soul or emotion isnt something you can learn, its something you have, or pick up. E.q by doing some vibrato your not suddenly expressing your emotion. Just play from within man. Obviously stuff like vibrato helps though. And knowing what the notes sound like before you play them so you can play whats in your head and express what your feeling in your playing.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Look at it this way - if your unfamiliarity with the instrument that you're constantly having to think hard about what you're doing with your fingers, where to go on the fretboard, how to get the sound you want, how to keep up with whatever you're playing over - if all those things and possibly others require your constant attention, well you're not going to be expressing yourself particularly eloquently or fluidly, are you?

Soul, feelling and all that bollocks boils down to one thing - how comfortable you are with your instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com