soo, i seem to be at risk for carpal tunnel. last little while, i've made practicing my 3-finger 16th note chops my main priority (death metal riffs all at least 200 bpm), and that's what i'd been doing for multiple hours a day. then i started feeling a tingling sensation and pain in my right wrist after i spent several days exerting it and pushing my limits. so i took a day off playing and googled some carpal tunnel stretches as that was when my worry began, then when i started playing again i guess i started practicing too hard, too soon again the tingling+pain got worse. now, i am playing for the first time right now since tuesday night's band practice and am still feeling the tingling in my hand... how can i completely rid of these symptoms?

this is the stretch i've been doing for carpal tunnel on top of the rest of my stretch routine: www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm

and, i have a gig tomorrow night. i think i might water down my lines to save my hand the pain
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
There are a few ways to get rid of the symptom, but first I have to say this.

You are an IDIOT!!!!!!! You never and I mean NEVER practice that hard for that long.
Bass is not about how fast you are (even in death metal) it's about musicality.

that being said GO TO A DOCTOR, simple stretches will NOT alleviate symptoms you need a real treatment. This could be as easy as wearing wrist guard things when you go to bed or surgery.

It depends on how much damage you've done.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Take a week off and consult a physiotherapist. An injury like this can get to the point of never going away. Don't do any kind of exercises to strengthen your wrist or forearm because if you have a repetitive strain injury you are just going to irritate it. The best thing to do once the irritation has gone away is to listen to your body and take breaks during your practice sessions. Also it's important to understand and accept that you will only be able to play so fast without injuring yourself. Everyone is different.
I agree with what the guys above said, go to a doctor or a physiothreapist and he'll know what to do, I would recommend not taking it to such limits, or you might never be able to play bass again. think of it as a minor **** up, you play less now, so you'll be able to play more afterwards
My husband had carpal tunnel in both wrists to the point of needing surgery. Want good reason not to do what you did again read the following:

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/carpal-tunnel/open-carpal-tunnel-surgery-for-carpal-tunnel-syndrome

Stop playing and go see a doctor. If they have caught it in its early stages, its easily treatable through physical therapy and cortisone treatment. Follow whatever treatment plan your doctor says to the letter. Its really not something to take lightly.
They are right, see a Dr. I've broken both wrists, I play bass, I work on a computer, I'm a bad carpal tunnel joke... it's not something you want to deal with if you can avoid it!

Until then the best thing you can do is stop playing for awhile and ice it down. What helps me more than anything is using athletic tape, and taping my wrist before I go to bed. Since wearing a wrist brace during the day isnt really an option. I usually have to take one or two days a week off from playing, and occasionally I have to stop playing for an entire week or two... just to function in my normal day to day life.

Trust me you don't want to get to that point!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Just some quick things -

Make sure your wrist is neutral when playing - it should be totally relaxed.

Make sure you're not exerting too much force.

Work on finger independence - if you find your hand seizes up at high tempos it's because you're too tense, slow down and stay relaxed until you can reach the same tempo without straining.

Take (very short) breaks after lactic acid buildup and stay hydrated.
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Or if you have 3 grand lying around you need to get rid of, you could pick up on of these...

im not sure if this is legit, info please?

and thanks people, i will see a doctor.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Last edited by TheTortured at Apr 26, 2011,