I've searched the threads and topics but couldn't find this one. How exactly would I pm the a string...

e-5-5-5-5-5-5
a-x-x-x-x-x-x
d-7-7-7-7-7-7

I just don't see what I should use to mute the a string. Thanks.
1st of all, ur tab notation is upside down. 2nd, ur confusing this with a fret hand mute. all you gotta do is let the back of your index finger rest on the a string, thus muting it.
not a palm mute. all you ahve to do is make sure the a string doesn't sound a note at all. make it "dead"
d-7-7-7-7-7-7
a-x-x-x-x-x-x
e-5-5-5-5-5-5

fixed.

Now, you can either use your 2nd finger for the 5th fret and 4th for the 7th fret, where your first finger mutes all the other strings. Or, you can use 1st finger for that 5th fret and 3rd finger for the 7th fret, using your 2nd finger to mute that a-string. This is a fretting-hand technique, not a right-hand palm mute.

Hope that helps!
I usually mute stuff like that with my index finger. Just make sure it barely puts pressure on the A string so it mutes it.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by SilverSpurs616
d-7-7-7-7-7-7
a-x-x-x-x-x-x
e-5-5-5-5-5-5

fixed.

Now, you can either use your 2nd finger for the 5th fret and 4th for the 7th fret, where your first finger mutes all the other strings. Or, you can use 1st finger for that 5th fret and 3rd finger for the 7th fret, using your 2nd finger to mute that a-string. This is a fretting-hand technique, not a right-hand palm mute.

Hope that helps!

I use my first finger on the 5th fret, and let it lightly rest on the string below it to mute it, then my 3rd finger on the 7th fret.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
psh I've only been playing a few weeks and even I know that. :P

Like everyone else said, just slightly let the back of your index finger touch the A string.
Quote by TriviumisEpic
psh I've only been playing a few weeks and even I know that.

Congratulations. Have a cookie
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Well, everyone's said it: It's a dead note. Palm mutes are generally noted above or below the tab bracket. A dead note is simply muted with the fret hand. In this case, just let your index finger rest on the string. It's fairly simple once you get it. Good luck.
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
That's a power chord

1st finger lays flat on 5th fret muting all strings
3rd finger on 7th fret.
For aditional muting touch the a string with tip of the 3rd finger if you want
Quote by Guitarra_acores
That's a power chord

1st finger lays flat on 5th fret muting all strings
3rd finger on 7th fret.
For aditional muting touch the a string with tip of the 3rd finger if you want

wrong. it's an octave.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Yeah you're right power chord would be root and 5th

Sorry Op, this is a power chord (A5):

D-7-7-7-7-7-7
A-7-7-7-7-7-7
E-5-5-5-5-5-5

or

A-7-7-7-7-7-7
E-5-5-5-5-5-5
Last edited by Guitarra_acores at Apr 23, 2011,
The guy that wrote this post has pretended for years online to be an accomplished well versed guitar aficionado when he is nothing more than a cheap liar and a flake. He bought some guitars with government money. For years he has been on the file share program SoulSeek pretending to have huge muscles, long hair, tattoos and a band. This is what he really looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/RAtGHvZ.jpg

This delusional pathological liar lives in a small town in Winona MN and has admitted to having mental problems that deal with anxiety. He has pretended to own motorcycles, guitars, boats, computers (and parts) that he has never even seen in person. Nothing he says is true. If you check his history on here you will see most of h`is posts indicate he is insane and extremely needy and petty. He claims in other corners of the web that his account was shared with a pal HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Last edited by upsydedown at Aug 18, 2015,
trey from morbid angel uses them in his "octave flim flams". pretty much a staple for anyone on a steady diet of evil. they're weird because you think you have to do something with the middle note but you actually don't -you just lay a finger on it and it's all taken care of.
Quote by upsydedown
*whole load of crap*

*reported* for spam.

ad_works: This thread is 4 years old and was necro'd for spam purposes. Please read the whole thread before you post next time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ohhhh spam... nice try bozo. I suggest you look up what the word spam means before using it next time, tard.