Hey I've been looking into new amps and I've decided to go with a Vox AC30C2. One thing about it that I'm not 100% sold on is that there isn't a footswitch to go from the amp distortion to clean. I have a Zvex pedal I like that I use for distortion right now, but I kinda liked the amp distortion on the AC30 too. I was wondering if I could get an A/B selector switch and run one cable from that to the higher-gain channel and run the other cable to the low clean channel and just switch from the in-amp distortion to clean that way, or if I would just look like an idiot if I did that. Like I said I have a pedal I like, but since I like the amp distortion too so I figured it'd be nice to have the option of using it.
GEAR:
Fender MIM Strat (all black everthing!)
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Power Chords and Downstrums
i think you could probably change the channel with some type of splitting technique with the cables, i dunno, i imagine it could be some box, where you plug your guitar into it, then two or four cable go to the inputs and you can switch between the different outputs
Last edited by maowcat at Apr 22, 2011,
You mean run an A/B Box from the two input channels on the amp? Yeah that works.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I'm planning on getting an AC15 or an AC30 soon. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Get an A/B box to switch between the two inputs.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Last edited by TasianSensation at Apr 22, 2011,
Yes an A/B switch will work just fine. I own an AC30 and I use an A/B switch quite frequently for this purpose.
i really like my radial eng AB/Y
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a AC15 and had the same issue. I got an A/B pedal and plugged into the different channels, but I had issues with equalizing the volume. The normal channel only stays crystal clean on low volumes (it gets a bit of dirt if I crank it past 9 o clock) and the top boost channel only gets real dirty at really high volumes, so i'd either have a really quiet clean channel and a really loud dirty channel, or both channels would be at similar volumes and would have moderate levels of dirt. I tried using the guitar volume to fix this, but the volume levels were still off and it was a pain switching. I don't know if the AC30 clean/distortion volume levels work in the same way the AC15 does, but it's something to consider if you're going to be switching in the middle of a song.
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Ah I see. I'll have to play around with it more next time I'm at guitar center. What I'd really like to do is get the AC30 for cleans, then an Orange Dual Terror for dirt. Of course I've got to complete my rig with one amp before I throw another amp into it haha.

Thanks for the quick answers by the way!
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

A/B switch method is good if it has separate inputs for the clean and overdrive channels.

otherwise, the only other way to do it is to dial in an overdriven sound on your amp with your guitar's volume all the way up, and then turn down the guitar volume to clean up the sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Since there's only one master volume, you can't switch as seamlessly between your clean and dirty sounds. But it works more or less, but definitely not as well as two channels with separate master controls would work.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
I always liked pedal distortion more than AC30 amp distortion. I dunno what it is, but that amp just takes dirt pedals so damn well.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Quote by ptregaskis
Hey I've been looking into new amps and I've decided to go with a Vox AC30C2. One thing about it that I'm not 100% sold on is that there isn't a footswitch to go from the amp distortion to clean. I have a Zvex pedal I like that I use for distortion right now, but I kinda liked the amp distortion on the AC30 too. I was wondering if I could get an A/B selector switch and run one cable from that to the higher-gain channel and run the other cable to the low clean channel and just switch from the in-amp distortion to clean that way, or if I would just look like an idiot if I did that. Like I said I have a pedal I like, but since I like the amp distortion too so I figured it'd be nice to have the option of using it.

Well, for one I would suggest picking up a used Vox AC30CC2. It is the series from a few years ago and they have tube rectifiers. I have one and I am so glad I got it over the C2... They require a bit more maintenance, but the tone is well worth it.

As far as the distortion goes, if you A/B the two inputs, you will notice a difference in more than the distortion level as you will be switching between two different circuits. There will be a difference in EQ and volume when you switch. I would recommend that you pick up a good overdrive pedal and just use that to overdrive the tubes in the amp when you need distortion, that way you have the flexibility of a pedal, with the tone of the amp!
Awesome thank you guys all for the input!
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

If you want to do an AB switch thing for your AC30....there was some discussion on it here:
http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=71675&highlight=ac30cch
Quote by AmbientMathAsh
I always liked pedal distortion more than AC30 amp distortion. I dunno what it is, but that amp just takes dirt pedals so damn well.

A tubescreamer into an AC30 is HEAVEN IMO. I have 2 of them (TS-808, TS9DX).
808 is set at 0 gain, TS9 about 3/4 gain. Level for both is whatever is needed.
Quote by CodeMonk
A tubescreamer into an AC30 is HEAVEN IMO. I have 2 of them (TS-808, TS9DX).
808 is set at 0 gain, TS9 about 3/4 gain. Level for both is whatever is needed.

I've not tried a screamer into one before, I bet they'd sound incredible. I tried an SD-1, MXR OD (the new green one I forget the name) and the Blackstar double distortion. All of them sounded out of this world.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here
Hehe, if we're talking dirt infront of the AC30 you can't go wrong with:

tim/timmy
tubescreamers (TS9, OD9, TS808, OD808 etc)
BB preamp (I used to think it was the B-flat preamp because someone had messed up on the capitalization)
Morning Glory
Fulltones stuff (every other P&W guitarist I know has a fulldrive2, and 90% they sound great, OCD too)
I could go on all day, haha!

Also, if you can distinctly tell between the AC30CC2 and AC30C2 and their rectifiers then thumbs up to you cause I sure couldn't haha. As for me, I'd go for the C2 because it doesn't have those silly plastic switches... But the CC2 does have the birch cab, and the tube rect. HOWEVER, I would go for NEITHER the CC2 or the C2, but I'd go for a MiB 90's one. Those are harder to find though... Hell I'd save up for one of the handwires or go for a boutique clone before I'd buy vintage vox.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
I loved a ZenDrive into an AC30... it was simply amazing.

CodeMonk... I think i need to rephrase one of the guitar commandments...

You need a TS and an AC30
Make sure you buy a good quality A/B box.
I tried to A/B my Vox AC15 for the same reason as you, but I used a Behringer switcher. Awful. The amp will play any noise coming through the non-active channel, and so unless you have a good A/B box there can be a LOT of noise. Choose carefully!
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1