Hi everyone,

I bought a Fender special mahogany HSS strat about four years ago, and I LOVE it! However, the pickups are a bit stale for my taste, and I've been hoping to switch the bridge humbucker to something that's warmer and fuller-sounding, but still punchy enough to cut through the mix. (Something more Gibson-like.) I play lead guitars in a band that plays mostly rock, and I'm looking for a classic-rock/blues-rock kind of sound. (PAF/vintage-style pickups maybe?) I'm playing through a blackstar HT-40 which has all the gain I'll need, so the pickup only needs to be hot enough for me to play solos. I also use pinch harmonics quite often--is this something I'll need to consider?

What recommendations do you guys have? I've been looking at the Duncan 59, Duncan Alnico 2, Dimarzio PAF pro, and Dimarzio PAF 36th anniversary pickups.

Thanks so much! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's an updated version of my guitar for reference: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Select-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-102807864-i1168160.gc

Current pickups are: Fender Tex-mex single coils, diamondback humbucker in bridge.
Last edited by artfuldodger8 at Apr 22, 2011,
All the ones you suggested sound right for what you want. Have a look in the 'which pickup' thread for some more help on your choice.