Hey guys,

I'm new to this whole rack building thing, but I find it interesting and want to learn more. As far as racks go, if your not using a head you can use a pre amp and a power amp. Most pre amps I see are not tube. Such as the digitech gsp 1101 and rocktron prophecy. If I were to use these pre amps would the sound very digital? I really don't want a digital sounding amp, because I really love tube tone. If I were to use a tube power amp would It make my pre amp sound tube? Are there any really good tube pre amps out there?

Someone please explain this to me? Thanks!
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Pre-amps modify your sounds before they get to your amp. Hence 'pre-amp.'
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yes I know this. If I had no head could I use a digitech gsp 11001 pre amp and then buy a power amp, and it would work just like a head?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by King of King V
Yes I know this. If I had no head could I use a digitech gsp 11001 pre amp and then buy a power amp, and it would work just like a head?

crudely speaking, yes. you would be supplying the pre and post amplifier sections in two separate units.

as far as whether it would sound really digital, that depends greatly on the pre-amp and power amp you choose. if you go with a really nice, high-end pre-amp and a tube loaded power amp, it'll sound like a tube amp (mesa boogie tri-axis.... drool). if however, you choose a cheaper, all digital unit, and a cheaper power amp, you'll definitely have yourself something very digital.

that being said, I have hear digital pre-amps into mesa power amps (recto 2-100) that sound absolutely incredible. like, think about selling tube amps incredible
Quote by krehzeekid
crudely speaking, yes. you would be supplying the pre and post amplifier sections in two separate units.

as far as whether it would sound really digital, that depends greatly on the pre-amp and power amp you choose. if you go with a really nice, high-end pre-amp and a tube loaded power amp, it'll sound like a tube amp (mesa boogie tri-axis.... drool). if however, you choose a cheaper, all digital unit, and a cheaper power amp, you'll definitely have yourself something very digital.

that being said, I have hear digital pre-amps into mesa power amps (recto 2-100) that sound absolutely incredible. like, think about selling tube amps incredible

What do you mean by this?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by King of King V
What do you mean by this?

basically, any guitar head consists of a pre-amplifier section (often powered by 12AX7 tubes) and a power-amplifier section (sometimes called a post-amplifier, especially with bass amps. usually driven by 6L6GC, EL34 or EL84 tubes). a pre-amp unit lacks anything resembling a power-amplifier, so you need to attach a separate power amp

essentially, you're splitting the main two amplifier components found in a typical head into two smaller units
Quote by AcousticMirror
most preamps are tube.

This what I was thinking. Even some digital pre-amps come with a tube in them.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
This what I was thinking. Even some digital pre-amps come with a tube in them.

most good pre-amps are tube or hybrid (meaning they have a tube, but they're essentially solid state). there are a number of all digital pre-amps though
Quote by krehzeekid
most good pre-amps are tube or hybrid (meaning they have a tube, but they're essentially solid state). there are a number of all digital pre-amps though

Yep. Exactly what I thought.
Ok thanks alot guys? With that being said does anyone know of a good tube pre amp for about 600 USD. I was looking at the rocktron Voodu Valve, but im really looking for something with about 3 channels.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by krehzeekid

I find Mesa power amps always make your amp sound like a Mesa, no matter what you do to the preamp stage. I'd personally prefer a VHT G2502S or Carvin TS100 to a Mesa poweramp anyday, as long as I'm using my Axe Fx and not a generic preamp. TS, like everything else in the guitar world it all comes down to quality of the gear, and how much you're willing to spend. A high end preamp can run you anywhere from $1000 to $2500, with poweramps being cheap as dirt and up into the $1300 range or so. Best I can tell you as a preamp for $600 is a Pod HD Pro, whenever that comes out. I don't know much about traditional preamps, but I can say that the models on the Pod HD are pretty close to on par with an Axe Fx and a real amp, if you do a bit of tweaking. Cheers in your search man.