Currently i'm learning The Four Horsemen for a school music exam and am having some trouble with the solo in general...Basically the trem picking and the runs up the fretboard. I can handle the hammer-ons and pull-offs fine.

I guess there is two ways I can go about doing the solo, to either learn the solo from tablature and learn the exact runs and notes played....or I can improvise the solo....

I have already learnt about the first quarter of both 1st and 2nd solos so would improvising be a good idea? I only know the Major and Minor scales....nothing exotic....
And i know that the solo is all minor pent anyway so shouldn't be too hard?
Plus i would get some bonus points for showing my improvising skills.

Or i can learn each solo piece by piece, run by run, which will most likely be much more difficult. The added fact of this is that if i am going to be playing with the full song as a backing track, it will make me sound much better than if i was improvising to it.

So do you guys reckon I should be improvising or learning the solo?

Cheers,
TheAscendant
I'm not familiar with this song, but you say it has two solos, so I'm going to go by that.

What I'd do is learn the first solo perfectly, and put some time into the second one. Practice your improvising where the second solo would go, but don't be afraid to go back to the recorded version if you don't think you can do the song justice for the audience.

Remember, modesty can be a good thing. You'd rather have an audience think you're great at playing someone else's solo than straight-up bad on your own. Not to say that you shouldn't completely rule out the option of improvising, just be self-aware.

I guess what I'm saying is give yourself the second solo (or even half of the second solo) to improvise, based on how you feel you are at improvising.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
you can play metal for a school music exam? wow, and here i am playing classical pieces that require the utmost technical precision for no reason. oh, wait a minute...

seriously. if it's for school, aim for it to be as true to the original as possible, unless the actual purpose of the exam is to see how you can improvise. if you would get some bonus points, maybe go for it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Hell yeah, we can play what we like, from any genre at all, metal, classical, punk, whatever ya like....i've got the tab for the solo so i will learn it the right way to begin with and then start to change it up...that sounds the best plan, plus i will be able to learn some different licks and scales to incorporate with them (:

Cheers,
TheAscendant
Quote by TheAscendant
Hell yeah, we can play what we like, from any genre at all, metal, classical, punk, whatever ya like....i've got the tab for the solo so i will learn it the right way to begin with and then start to change it up...that sounds the best plan, plus i will be able to learn some different licks and scales to incorporate with them (:

Cheers,
TheAscendant

Well play something that's within your skill level then. No point in playing a sloppy version of x song when you can play a good version of y song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Check this site out guys...its one of those sites that actually helps....taught me how to improvise very well.

http://44ebfdzkkc1mt1wfzowa-bzfa6.h...net/?tid=GUITAR
Well, I would keep the most memorable parts of the solo and then improvise/compose a solo that suits me over the rest. Also, you don't have to improvise everything on the spot, you should (if you go down this path) improvise the solo many times at home to see what fits and what doesn't so it becomes more of composing a solo of your own rather than pure improvisation.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
I'd say learn it because if you're having difficulty learning it, the improvisation will most likely be at the required level. People like hearing what they're familiar with, so if you improvise it, they might not enjoy it as much as they should. Just learn it and then add your own feel to it, that would be my advise
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Learn it
then do some improvisions to it so its not drastically off and whenever you want to you can run back to the original play some of those parts then go back to improvision. so it doesn't sound like a bunch of repeated licks.

Quote by megano28
People like hearing what they're familiar with, so if you improvise it, they might not enjoy it as much as they should.

I would want to hear a band improvise a solo because if someone is just doing a carbon copy of the original it could be a little boring. You know exactly whats coming. Even Metallica doesn't do the original solo when they play live.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.