Poll: Would quantum suicide work?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would quantum suicide work?
Yes
17 17%
No
85 83%
Voters: 102.
Page 1 of 4
This who thing is extremely simplified

You're sitting in a room with a gun pointed at your head in such a way that you'd be guarenteed death if you are shot with a bullet from it. It is determined that the gun will go off after someone flips a coin. Heads means a bullet was in the chamber, and you're shot. Tails means there is no bullet and all you hear is a click.

Now, the theory is that every time the coin is flipped, you will hear a click, because you cannot hear when you're dead. This relies on the "Many-Worlds" theory, that there are two universes for each action that happens to you.

So basically, a very, very smart Princeton professor has proposed that if you enact the above situation, you will never be shot, but rather continue living in parallel universes.

Is this bullshit? Discuss more quantum physics, I find it amazing.

Excuss any readability issues. It's 11:30 and I have Family Guy distacting me
Nice spelling there champ. Proofread your posts.

Also, in this universe I would still be dead as shit right? So what's the point?
:3
dont try it
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Stevemcguy
Nice spelling there champ. Proofread your posts.

Also, in this universe I would still be dead as shit right? So what's the point?

And thread seemingly over.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't really understand but if you kill your self in this world then you would be dead and the other different you would be alive but different so it wouldn't really matter.
/end nonsenscical rant
gonna go give it a try.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I've never really been persuaded into believing in parallel universes. Don't see why I should. But I'm not physicist, so maybe I'm unaware of some evidence.
Sure you'd be alive in the next universe, but that's just it, you're not in the next universe, you're in this one where you will indeed die. You'll be dead but your alternate self, whom you don't have control over, will outlive you.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Not sure if I'd bet my life on that. Maybe I'll give it a go if I get some terminal disease. Although I guess I'd still have the disease in the other universe.
Well shit.
Stupid ass theory.

At what point do we stop and admit that the fact this man has a prestigious degree doesn't mean he isn't full of shit.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by :Vicious--
Sure you'd be alive in the next universe, but that's just it, you're not in the next universe, you're in this one where you will indeed die. You'll be dead but your alternate self, whom you don't have control over, will outlive you.

What's to say this isn't an alternate universe?!?

Yeah, quantum physics works better as a screenplay concept than in real life....
Unfortunately if it's actually heads then you'll never know, regardless of how many parallel universes there are if you die, you're dead.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Stupid ass theory.

At what point do we stop and admit that the fact this man has a prestigious degree doesn't mean he isn't full of shit.

I admit that this man's prestigious piece of paper does not make his statements fact.

Although, it makes his statements more interesting, because he can bring up a whole bunch of other shit he learned to earn that piece of paper to back up his theories. I, however, have jackshit besides what I've learned from skimming Wikipedia.
Hawk, all modern computer chip design is based on quantum physics. So post that from a twenty-year-old computer and we'll talk.
Nautical Steve: You wouldn't be different. As far as you're concerned, all the quantum mechanics would be irrelevant, because you'd just keep on living. The idea is that from the point where two timelines diverge things will gradually change until the two worlds are entirely distinct, but there would still only be one timeline--you'd be dead in the other.
And other Steve, the point is that you'd be alive. As far as you knew. That's a pretty serious difference from being dead. Probably.
Okay, I'm not qualified to say any more on the subject.
Quote by AvengedFoghat
I admit that this man's prestigious piece of paper does not make his statements fact.

Although, it makes his statements more interesting, because he can bring up a whole bunch of other shit he learned to earn that piece of paper to back up his theories. I, however, have jackshit besides what I've learned from skimming Wikipedia.

It makes it interesting because he can say "You won't die if you get shot when there's a coin being flipped at the same time" and everyone goes "whoaa."

If I said it, I'd be called out for bullshit and probably lose a considerable amount of respect instead of gain it.
-Jim Morrison
Well, since the consciousness I have now would travel to the next "me" in the other universe, would I be aware that I had just shot myself in the previous universe? Or would I be instantaneously transported so that nothing ever happened and I just hear a click? Why would some random universe favor my life for anything? Why would I just keep on living in another universe instead of ceasing to exist? If anything, my consciousness in this universe would be gone and the one in the parallel universe would keep living, but I wouldn't and couldn't know what the **** even happened in the first place, so there might as well not be any universe at all.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
why was the coin even mentioned? Flipping a coin and bullet getting fired are unrelated. Also don't try it.
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
why was the coin even mentioned? Flipping a coin and bullet getting fired are unrelated. Also don't try it.

This thread makes me want to.
-Jim Morrison
These are called thought experiments for a reason.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
It makes it interesting because he can say "You won't die if you get shot when there's a coin being flipped at the same time" and everyone goes "whoaa."

If I said it, I'd be called out for bullshit and probably lose a considerable amount of respect instead of gain it.

Ahhh. I'm not sure of the practical application for this knowledge, however interesting it may be.
This is sort of uncomfortable. Scenarios like these just put unsettling thoughts into your head.
Quote by Miniskirt
Ahhh. I'm not sure of the practical application for this knowledge, however interesting it may be.

Dude, if you get shot in the face, you're going to die. Regardless of whether or not a coin is being flipped. That's all I'm trying to say.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

It makes it interesting because he can say "and this is WHY you won't die if you get shot," goes on to explain his quantum theory, and THEN everyone goes "whoaa", regardless of whether or not they understand it, because it is an intriguing subject. And, they'd believe him because he brought up a bunch of information to wow everybody into believing him.

Like you said, if you said it, Without considerable information to back it up, then you would be considered a crackpot and no one would ever listen to you again. If you had some information to back it up, someone might believe you.

Of course, that fancy paper he worked for a stupid amount of time to acquire makes some of the difference, alongside having sufficient data to back it up.
Last edited by AvengedFoghat at Apr 22, 2011,
Quote by AvengedFoghat

Of course, that fancy paper he worked for a stupid amount of time to acquire makes some of the difference, alongside having sufficient data to back it up.

There is absolutely no way to acquire sufficient data to even begin to support this argument.
-Jim Morrison
Slinky, I find the quote in your sig oddly relevant to the topic.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I think you left out the part where he mentioned both sides of the coin are tails...
Quote by Alexander_BR
Hey, isn't there a whole thing where quantum mechanics works wonderfully on the atomic and lower levels, but is batshit useless for bigger stuff?

I was about to bring this up. This guy's theory sounds like anything but quantum mechanics. Last I checked, quantum theory regards physics within a scale that's so small that physics as we know it cease to operate.

Quantum Mechanics only operate on scales smaller than an Atom. Or even the nucleus or quarks of an atom. We're talking electrons, photons and possibly, strings.

So, remind me. What does a coin and a gun have to do with quantum mechanics?
-Jim Morrison
I'm being distracted by Family Guy right now, and DIDN'T post this thread. I think I'm you in an alternate universe.
Quote by genghisgandhi
This who thing is extremely simplified

You're sitting in a room with a gun pointed at your head in such a way that you'd be guarenteed death if you are shot with a bullet from it. It is determined that the gun will go off after someone flips a coin. Heads means a bullet was in the chamber, and you're shot. Tails means there is no bullet and all you hear is a click.

Now, the theory is that every time the coin is flipped, you will hear a click, because you cannot hear when you're dead. This relies on the "Many-Worlds" theory, that there are two universes for each action that happens to you.

So basically, a very, very smart Princeton professor has proposed that if you enact the above situation, you will never be shot, but rather continue living in parallel universes.

The gun and the coin have 0 correlation. This is roughly based off of Schrodinger's (sp?) Cat thought experiment. However, with that experiment, the device used to "kill" the cat had a perfect 50/50 ratio, which was immediately connected with the death device. The coin being flipped in this experiment would make you make a conscious decision, therefore you kill yourself if you land tails and are dead forever, or you live if it lands heads.

Also, the Many-Worlds theory would back this up, if it had any sembelence of truth behind it. It's just a theory based off of several other theories. For it to be true, another 40 theories also have to be true before it, and each are just as hypothetical as the last.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Page 1 of 4