Poll: LP Studio for $799 or AL-3100 $399
Poll Options
View poll results: LP Studio for $799 or AL-3100 $399
Gibson LP Studio
29 56%
Agile AL-3100
23 44%
Voters: 52.
Obviously, playing an Agile prior to purchasing isn't an option, but I've been hands-on with a Les Paul Studio. So I'm looking for a little input from anyone who has played/owned both of these. I have read a ton of positive feedback on Agile, and Gibson goes without saying (for the most part).

I have the money for a LP Studio, but here's what I'm thinking: the Agile is going to have all the little touches that a Studio won't...bindings, finish, etc. I have a SD '59 and JB that I can put into the Agile if the stock pups aren't cutting it.

So you folks that have played both, I would love to hear from you, or just see a vote.

Thanks!
Quote by acrtl1000s
I would machine my girlfriends homemade tortillas into perfect circles.
Last edited by darth whaler at Apr 23, 2011,
if you have the money, go play a bunch of Gibsons, and buy one. Not only will it hold a pretty steady value, but it will be a great guitar. Just play bunches.
If you want it to have some good re-sale value, go for the Gibson. Bigger name there.

I have a 3100 and after I set it up, I love it. Played a Gibson at a music store, and there aren't many differences that are too noticeable.

My Agile came with like 2 MINOR and I mean MINOR blemishes from overspray on the binding. I literally have to hold the guitar like 2 inches away from my face and stare at it to see it. Other than that, it's an excellent guitar for the price.
Gear

30 Watt Peavey Vypyr

Peavey Reactor

Agile AL-3100 White w/ chrome hw

Seagull S6 Original
This is begging for every fanboy on the forum to come in screaming.....

Forget about other guitars for a moment. If you've played a Gibson Studio and you like it and think it's worth the money then buy it. That's what this boils down to. People will tell you that on average certain Gibsons suck and that some MIK and MIC guitars are just as good if you luck out and mod them and other bullshit but at the end of the day if you find a Gibson you like then you're not going to find anything better.

A good Korean LP copy beats out an average Gibson you don't care about. Nothing beats out a good Gibson or Fender or PRS or whatever else that you do care about.

It's like, if you just want to get from point A to point B and you don't care how then you might as well just take the bus or buy a Prius. But if you want a Ferrari then you want a Ferrari and nothing else is going to be a worthy substitute.
I agree with him^^^

I'm not an Agile fanboy and don't try to push the Agile brand on people.

I think if you're willing to take a risk on a guitar that you haven't played and want to save about 500 dollars, then try an Agile. I was not disappointed at all with mine. They feel very similar to the Gibson Studio.

If you want to play it safe, and go with what you've felt and played, then get the Gibson.
Gear

30 Watt Peavey Vypyr

Peavey Reactor

Agile AL-3100 White w/ chrome hw

Seagull S6 Original
Personally, I loved my LP Studio until I played something cheaper and better. I recently sold my Studio and bought a PRS Mikael Akerfeldt sig and was blown away at how much better it sounds than my LP and that it is cheaper. Gibson makes great products and I will always be a fan BUT, IMO, they have been getting by on reputation alone the last 15 years or so when it comes to the guitars $1800 and below. I do agree with the others that say that if you play the Gibson and love it then by all means go for something you know you'll love rather than take a chance in being disappointed. I took a chance with my PRS and got lucky. You might not be so lucky.
Quote by vjferrara
Personally, I loved my LP Studio until I played something cheaper and better. I recently sold my Studio and bought a PRS Mikael Akerfeldt sig and was blown away at how much better it sounds than my LP and that it is cheaper. Gibson makes great products and I will always be a fan BUT, IMO, they have been getting by on reputation alone the last 15 years or so when it comes to the guitars $1800 and below. I do agree with the others that say that if you play the Gibson and love it then by all means go for something you know you'll love rather than take a chance in being disappointed. I took a chance with my PRS and got lucky. You might not be so lucky.

+1

PRS SE series are really good guitars, I own one too and it sounds awesome. And it costs about 600$ so, I think I'd buy it all over again
Gibson period.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I'm no expert, but the studio and the Agile are going to have similar quality. Why not get the Agile and pimp it out with the $400 you'll save?
Gibson will have better resale value, and people will think "Oh, this guys legit, he has a Gibson." But when it boils down to quality, they are pretty similar, so why not save half your money and put it towards some pedals and pickups or something. My $0.02
id rather go for the agile. im not really crazy about Gibson. Ive played A LOT of bad lower end ones. even the lp standards and customs i played kinda put me off from them.
If you like to Studio I say go for it. The finish is repairable over time as it's nitro vs poly on the Agile. Gibson's bought in the US come witha lifetime warranty. Not something many people think about. By the time you buy the $399 Agile there will still be some fees associated with it I'd think (taxes, import shipping?)
Moving on.....
If nothing else, I'd lean towards taking the guitar I could play over the one I couldn't, just to assure it's a quality instrument.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. This is really a tough call for me. It might even come down to a coin toss.
Quote by acrtl1000s
I would machine my girlfriends homemade tortillas into perfect circles.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
If nothing else, I'd lean towards taking the guitar I could play over the one I couldn't, just to assure it's a quality instrument.

I agree with this, although I know a friend who has the Agile 3100 it's a very nice guitar. I own a Gibson LP Studio, and a Custom. To be honest, the 3100 isn't comparable in quality or tone to either of them IMO. Not to poopoo on the guitar, it's just not as good IMO. Although for the price they are amazing.

Bottom line, I would say if you can't try it but know you like the Gibson LP Studio sound...Then I wouldn't risk buying it, because if it's not "close enough" for you, then you're never going to be happy with it.
i'm all for not supporting gibsons, but sometimes you will find a diamond in the rough in regards to the les paul studios.

imo, they suck, but i'm not going to lie about the fact that sometimes the quality of wood will be astronomically amazing for a cheaper guitar.

sometimes those things just happen.

so if you want to play it safe, and you can easily afford a lp studio new, get one. but if you love to save money, and would like to upgrade a guitar over time, then get the agile.

they do sound good, and with some improved parts, they can play better than most mid end gibsons.

thats my .02
I have a Gibson LP studio and gotta say I love it. The lifetime warranty is a major plus IMHO. Check out the video in my sig for the LP if ya want.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
It really depends on you TS, the Gibson will most likely be the better quality instrument, but are you willing to spend an extra $400 for that quality? Unless you're a complete tone freak, I'd go for the Agile, you have money left over to mod it if you want in the future. Honestly I wouldn't touch the studio series Gibsons with a 10 ft pole(I owned a SG) The only Gibson I'd spend major bucks on would be the Custom Les Paul or their Custom Shop. Their Studio series really doesn't live up the the quality that all their other series do

*To people saying the lifetime warranty is a plus*

I am indifferent really, common sense and taking care of your instrument will render that warranty useless. It's not like they'll give you a new one every time you throw it in the pool, it is only with regard to hardware issues and even then the only thing you CAN'T fix yourself for cheap would be a warped neck, but those aren't an issue if you take care of the axe
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by KenG
If you like to Studio I say go for it. The finish is repairable over time as it's nitro vs poly on the Agile. Gibson's bought in the US come witha lifetime warranty. Not something many people think about. By the time you buy the $399 Agile there will still be some fees associated with it I'd think (taxes, import shipping?)

The Gibson Lifetime Warranty is a joke. If you read it...it doesn't really cover anything at all.
Since you have some good pickups to drop in it all ready I have to say that the Agile will be more worth it and you will have a bit extra left over to buy a hard case for it.
My two cents as an Agile fanboy:
Play a bunch of Gibsons if you can, and get the one that plays the best; it'd be the safest bet and it'd be a guitar that could last a lifetime, I love my Agile to death but I definitely want a higher end guitar down the road when I have the money. The other way I'd go if I were you, would be to go for the Agile, spend a little on upgrades, and use the rest towards a decent amp, but I'd only go that way if your amp now isn't very good, I haven't read through the thread enough to see if you ever said what you play through.
Quote by Final
My two cents as an Agile fanboy:
Play a bunch of Gibsons if you can, and get the one that plays the best; it'd be the safest bet and it'd be a guitar that could last a lifetime, I love my Agile to death but I definitely want a higher end guitar down the road when I have the money. The other way I'd go if I were you, would be to go for the Agile, spend a little on upgrades, and use the rest towards a decent amp, but I'd only go that way if your amp now isn't very good, I haven't read through the thread enough to see if you ever said what you play through.

I agree with your main point but the problem is that if he goes Gibson, he's getting the cheapest one out of them all...If he wanted an Standard or Custom series Les Paul, I'd say go for it, but the one he wants is the lowest productions line and in this case he really is only paying for a name.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more