Why do all superhero films there days need to have two villains with disparate goals that in the end unite to try and vanquish the hero, why can't they just have one well developed villain. I'm not talking about henchmen here, i'm refering to films such as Spiderman 3 (which i am watching on Showcase right now), or the bad batman movies (Batman forever and Returns). Wouldn't one well developed antagonist be better than two mediocre ones?

I understand these movies have all been focus tested and there must be a reason for it, but i cannot see it.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I assume it is because having 3 known villains would be better than 1 villain...without watching the movie, just by poster, etc.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Drmckool
Why do all superhero films there days need to have two villains with disparate goals that in the end unite to try and vanquish the hero, why can't they just have one well developed villain. I'm not talking about henchmen here, i'm refering to films such as Spiderman 3 (which i am watching on Showcase right now), or the bad batman movies (Batman forever and Returns). Wouldn't one well developed antagonist be better than two mediocre ones?

I understand these movies have all been focus tested and there must be a reason for it, but i cannot see it.

Because race car.
It must be just for the poster, because story wise in 1.5-2 hours it's near impossible to develop 3 characters (protagonist and antagonists).
I shot JR

Was TDK like that? I thought it was all Joker except for Two-Face at the end, but Two-Face was really more of a Joker victim rather than a villain.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by darkcheef
Because most Super Hero movies based on comics are terrible

but are they terrible because of underdeveloped characters and cluttered story lines, or are they inherently bad?
I shot JR

you call those films "these days"?? What about Dark Knight and Iron Man 2, first one has two villains which worked perfectly and the same kinda goes for the second one. Only thing that disappointed me was that in both films, one villain asked another one to help him but that's kinda typical for comics/superhero films
Quote by rgrockr
Was TDK like that? I thought it was all Joker except for Two-Face at the end, but Two-Face was really more of a Joker victim rather than a villain.

TDK was an exception, and was also one of the longer superhero movies, which allowed them to develop the characters really well. So was Iron Man 2
I shot JR

Quote by rgrockr

Yeah but TKD was mainly about the Joker, the Two-Face thing was just the Joker doing what he does, or so I remember from the movie.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Because Chuck Norris said so and anyone who defies Chuck will recieve a roundhouse kick to the face.
What i was really referring to was when the villains have separate story lines. Like Batman Returns, Spiderman 3, or daredevil
I shot JR

More merchandising and trying to cram everyone's favorite in to get more people to see it
The best superhero movie I've ever watched was 'Watchmen'.
It isn't your usual save the world, get the girl defeat the villian kinda story.

Watch this movie, and you will begin to see how ALL superhero movies should be
I guess because it's more entertaining.. I saw this documentary today about "social media", eg Facebook, Twitter,etc. and how it causes most people to not be able to read books anymore or watch in-depth movies. They want their information NOW and don't care whether it's relevant or not.

tldr, people can't concentrate anymore and want loads of explosions/action when they go see movies. As for girls, just give em diamonds, sex and break-ups and they'll keep their mouths shut (since I'm being stereotypical bout it)

EDIT: ^I loved that movie! But the comic is better me thinks, it has more depth and allows the characters to breathe while the film seems to revolve all around Rorschach and the others are just there..

and yes, you're avatar is badass
Last edited by TimTheWizard at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by TimTheWizard

people can't concentrate anymore and want loads of explosions/action

This too
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
The best superhero movie I've ever watched was 'Watchmen'.
It isn't your usual save the world, get the girl defeat the villian kinda story.

Watch this movie, and you will begin to see how ALL superhero movies should be

I was reluctant to watching it because people told me it's too long and crap.. Well, I watched and I'm glad I did.. I freaking love that movie.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by TimTheWizard
I guess because it's more entertaining.. I saw this documentary today about "social media", eg Facebook, Twitter,etc. and how it causes most people to not be able to read books anymore or watch in-depth movies. They want their information NOW and don't care whether it's relevant or not.

tldr, people can't concentrate anymore and want loads of explosions/action when they go see movies. As for girls, just give em diamonds, sex and break-ups and they'll keep their mouths shut (since I'm being stereotypical bout it)

EDIT: ^I loved that movie! But the comic is better me thinks, it has more depth and allows the characters to breathe while the film seems to revolve all around Rorschach and the others are just there..

and yes, you're avatar is badass

I have yet to read the comics, because there's no where to get them where I live.
I'll be sure to read 'em once I'm outta here though

And thanks!

(I can't sig 'em anymore sorry)

Quote by Necrolust
I was reluctant to watching it because people told me it's too long and crap.. Well, I watched and I'm glad I did.. I freaking love that movie.

I think this proves other peoples points, that people aren't able to concentrate enough to read a book or watch a long movie like watchmen.
Yep it's one of my favorites too
There's a combination of things.

1) merchandising

2) people are idiots and just want to look at explosions

3) If you notice. Most "first" superhero movies have one villain. It's the sequels that have multiples. Because they try to cram more in to make the sequel "bigger and better" so you end up with convoluted story lines with no character development.
Because superhero films are based upon superhero comics, and the most popular editions of superhero comics are generaly those with the most guest appearences in them, be they villains or other heroes.

In other words, in the superhero genre, more characters generaly means more profit, whatever the media in is in.
Quote by shmikeyboy

And Batman is a hero, not a superhero.

Depends upon your definition of a superhero, and also which version of Batman you are reffering to.

Yes, he's normaly depicted as having no super powers, but his weaponry and skills can be considered as placing him in the same league as heroes with powers.

He's also been depicted as a vampire in 'Red Rain' and even as a Frankensteinesque monster with all the senses (and facial appearence) of a bat in 'Castle of the Bat' and in 'Speeding Bullets', the baby Kryptonian alien was found by Mr & Mrs Wayne instead of Mr. & Mrs. Kent, resulting an a dark brooding Batman with all the powers of Superman.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Depends upon your definition of a superhero, and also which version of Batman you are reffering to.

Yes, he's normaly depicted as having no super powers, but his weaponry and skills can be considered as placing him in the same league as heroes with powers.

He's also been depicted as a vampire in 'Red Rain' and even as a Frankensteinesque monster with all the senses (and facial appearence) of a bat in 'Castle of the Bat' and in 'Speeding Bullets', the baby Kryptonian alien was found by Mr & Mrs Wayne instead of Mr. & Mrs. Kent, resulting an a dark brooding Batman with all the powers of Superman.

No powers=not a superhero.

Which is why I like Batman, anyone could in theory be him. And I tend to go with Arkham (comic and game)/Dark Knight/Killing Joke style Batman as my idea of him.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I think this proves other peoples points, that people aren't able to concentrate enough to read a book or watch a long movie like watchmen.
Yep it's one of my favorites too

Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach) is one hell of an actor, especially in Watchmen.. **** me, I'm gonna go rent and see it again, damn you ali :P
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by shmikeyboy
No powers=not a superhero.

Which is why I like Batman, anyone could in theory be him. And I tend to go with Arkham (comic and game)/Dark Knight/Killing Joke style Batman as my idea of him.

In theory everyone could be Iron Man, but you still need the brains of a dozen of geniuses to build an arc reactor IN A CAVE
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by Drmckool

Batman Forever is spectacular.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.