Page 1 of 3
I've been playing for over a year and a month, and I have an acoustic and an electric guitar. The last one I got was the electric and it was for Xmas 2010. I like them, but I'm already planning what I'm going to get next. How long should I wait? I plan on saving up for this guitar and buying it myself, so I'm guessing that it will take a while to do.
What guitar do you have currently and what are you saving up for?
your wasting time trying to read this ^_^
As much as I hate to say it, what you need is a new amp.

How much max. are you planning on spending/saving?

EDIT: You can probably get a used 6505+ combo.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

+1.

6505+ combo.

the way i see it, once you get an instrument, in your case guitar. the next thing you need to do is get some gear or upgrade your gear. Dont rush the process of buying a new G. get an amp of something.
The only correct answer is "when you want one". You'll always be able to justify buying or not buying something to yourself.

Though I agree on the amp bit. Those can be replaced whenever you want, too.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
yeah and if you need another guitar try and cover all bases ya know? like My first electric was a schecter which is good for hard rock/metal and then I bought a Strat which covers pretty much everything else
Buy=GAS+funding/GASxneed-GAS+fundingxGAS
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Whenever you feel like it and have the funds.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
When you want one and can afford one. Just take time to decide what you want, and know that patience pays off. I passed up some nice deals on guitars that were good but not the one my heart desired. A few weeks later, and I snagged it at a good price on eBay. NGD, PRS 10-top content, coming soon!
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

yeah a 60 Watt tube isn't overkill... anyway, at 13 months of playing guitar were you really buying stuff for £450? IF you were you must have been ****ing retarded
Quote by TheBlackening91
yeah a 60 Watt tube isn't overkill... anyway, at 13 months of playing guitar were you really buying stuff for £450? IF you were you must have been ****ing retarded

retarded...? what an ignorant statement. ever considered the fact that some people are financially better off than others? everyone can do what they want with their own money.

and no, a 6505+ combo actually isnt overkill
Quote by s31770
retarded...? what an ignorant statement. ever considered the fact that some people are financially better off than others? everyone can do what they want with their own money.

and no, a 6505+ combo actually isnt overkill

If it's a tube 60 watts is around 55 watts too much for home use (which is all someone who's been playing a year is good for)

and yes, you would be stupid to invest money like that into a hobby you aren't even serious about yet when you could spend under £200 and be fine for the level you are at
Should´nt you be asking your mom and dad about when you are allowed to get your next guitar and not here.
Quote by TheBlackening91
If it's a tube 60 watts is around 55 watts too much for home use

The distortion comes from the preamp, a 6505+ sounds real good at bedroom levels.
Quote by TheBlackening91
(which is all someone who's been playing a year is good for)

And? If you want the 6505+ tone your not gonna nail it with anything else regardless of location. Then the amp can be used later on for gigs etc. Infact, long term you might actually save money as the amp will last you much longer.

Quote by TheBlackening91
and yes, you would be stupid to invest money like that into a hobby you aren't even serious about yet when you could spend under £200 and be fine for the level you are at

Asuming the player is confident that they'll be playing for quite some time to come and they have the money, there's 0 problems in spending whatever amount of money they want to.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

I already have $100 saved up and I'm looking for a job now. To spend, probably about $600-$900. I'm looking at the Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR or my friends are going to build me a custom one for approx. $600.

Oh, new amp??? Please explain.

Quote by sstony
Should´nt you be asking your mom and dad about when you are allowed to get your next guitar and not here.

I don't know who you think I am but I'm not someone who'll run to mom and dad if they want something. >_>
I've bought three guitars and three amps since I started in August. I'm still considered a newb but as I get better I can tell what sounds good and what sounds bad, hence all the changes in gear.
I know the amp is where you get all the sound from, which is why I understand people telling me to get that first. The thing is that I want a Floyd, which is what the Schecter and guitar that I might get built me are going to have. I've used them before and I find them a lot of fun.

As for the amp, I have a Line 6 Spider IV 15. I've never used another amp so I can't tell if Line 6's are good or not. Although the Spider IV 75 and head are pretty dope.

Quote by farmosh203
I've bought three guitars and three amps since I started in August. I'm still considered a newb but as I get better I can tell what sounds good and what sounds bad, hence all the changes in gear.

Really? That's interesting.
Quote by s31770
The distortion comes from the preamp, a 6505+ sounds real good at bedroom levels.

And? If you want the 6505+ tone your not gonna nail it with anything else regardless of location. Then the amp can be used later on for gigs etc. Infact, long term you might actually save money as the amp will last you much longer.

Asuming the player is confident that they'll be playing for quite some time to come and they have the money, there's 0 problems in spending whatever amount of money they want to.

I'm sorry but anyone playing for a little over a year isn't going to (or shouldn't) care about where their distortion is coming from, or if they have what's supposed to be a 'good' sounding amp.

Guitar isn't the only thing worth spending money on and if TS says is stupidly rich then fine, I'll eat my words but I would rather have something adequate for guitar and spend money on other things than something great and no/less money for anything else.
Quote by Chimara
I know the amp is where you get all the sound from, which is why I understand people telling me to get that first. The thing is that I want a Floyd, which is what the Schecter and guitar that I might get built me are going to have. I've used them before and I find them a lot of fun.

As for the amp, I have a Line 6 Spider IV 15. I've never used another amp so I can't tell if Line 6's are good or not. Although the Spider IV 75 and head are pretty dope.

Really? That's interesting.

A Floyd will be a bitch to tune and you'll have to get someone to set it up if you find the strings are difficult to play (if it has high action or it's set up for a gauge of string you don't like for example), BUT you will have fun with it which might keep you more interested in guitar. To be honest that amp is fine for bedroom use, you could get something like a Wah Wah pedal to try out if you want to try new gear but for now I would say that your amp is fine and you should upgrade when you start practicing with friends/gigging. Seeing as for now you don't know if your amp is good or not there's no point finding out if it's gonna cost you money, just keep playing guitar and having a much fun/getting as good as you can
Quote by farmosh203

Also don't do this, it's better for you to be better than your gear than for your gear to be better than you are

In the case of starting guitar, ignorance is bliss, and it's better to now know what's good or bad until you feel you're really starting to progress
Quote by Bhaok
Buy=GAS+funding/GASxneed-GAS+fundingxGAS

This is clearly the right answer, however this should also be taken into account:

If Buy >= 50 Then

Guitar.buy(yes)

Else

Guitar.buy(no)

Endif
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Also don't do this, it's better for you to be better than your gear than for your gear to be better than you are

In the case of starting guitar, ignorance is bliss, and it's better to now know what's good or bad until you feel you're really starting to progress

What if you can tell your starting guitar sucks though?

I started out with a BC Rich and played it for about a month and bought an Ibanez XP300FX. The Ibanez was alright but I didn't like the shape, neck, and wanted a Floyd Rose after about a month. I ended up buying a Jackson RR24 and that was sooo much better, definitely happy I buckled down and got the RR24. The RR24 is alright but I started to notice how the 22-24th frets are hard to access so I ended up buying an Edwards E-AL-166 (which should be here Monday, woohoo).

As for the amps, I got a Vox 30VT and it worked for a little bit. I wanted something that sounded heavier so I got a Peavey 6505+. I didn't like the 6505+ lows, so I tested out a Krank Krankenstein and ended up buying that.
There are a few threads floating around like this.

A few factors determine this; when you outgrow your original, or when you wish to specify with your particular sound/style, or if you have cash to blow. Otherwise maybe a new amp or effects pedal might do the trick.

EDIT: Bro, I've been with my original guitars for five years. Partially due to lack of funds, but I would still consider them great instruments, and expect them to last me years to come.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Chimara
I already have $100 saved up and I'm looking for a job now. To spend, probably about $600-$900. I'm looking at the Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR or my friends are going to build me a custom one for approx. $600.

Oh, new amp??? Please explain.

I don't know who you think I am but I'm not someone who'll run to mom and dad if they want something. >_>

I just thought it was funny that you would ask here when you should get another guitar, you get what you want when you want, thats all up to you. If someone says you should wait another 10 years is that what you are going to do ? Make up your own mind and do what you think is right. it´s your choice and no one elses. If you have the money then go for it.
Yeah you should just buy when you want to and don't listen to what anyone says on the forum. The gear I am happy with is the gear I picked out on my own, and I'm sure everyone on this forum would never recommend it.
^^ Exactly, most people here recommend the same gear that they have, be it good or bad.
Actually I think that's the answer to your question:

"When should you buy a new guitar?"

You should buy one when you know you want a new one and you know exactly why you want it. Don't buy the guitars that people recommend on here, do your own research and make the best decision.
Quote by farmosh203
What if you can tell your starting guitar sucks though?

I started out with a BC Rich and played it for about a month and bought an Ibanez XP300FX. The Ibanez was alright but I didn't like the shape, neck, and wanted a Floyd Rose after about a month. I ended up buying a Jackson RR24 and that was sooo much better, definitely happy I buckled down and got the RR24. The RR24 is alright but I started to notice how the 22-24th frets are hard to access so I ended up buying an Edwards E-AL-166 (which should be here Monday, woohoo).

As for the amps, I got a Vox 30VT and it worked for a little bit. I wanted something that sounded heavier so I got a Peavey 6505+. I didn't like the 6505+ lows, so I tested out a Krank Krankenstein and ended up buying that.

Phil Demmel (first guitarist who came to mind who uses a V - yeah, I'm that into Machine Head...) uses a Jackson V shaped guitar with the same neck recess as the RR24 and he seems to be able to pull off solos just fine with that 24th fret...

Let's say for arguments sake that you only used that BC Rich and the Vox 30VT, would you be any worse at guitar now? No - not if you put the same amount of time into playing as you have up to this point, the only difference is you would have more money in your wallet.

Imagine the only guitar you had was that BC Rich, now imagine you used it for 2 years of playing and learning and by this point you absolutely despise it, how much more do you think you would appreciate that Jackson RR24 than having gotten it after a couple of months of playing? I'm gonna go with a lot.

To be honest, I'm gonna guess that in 5 years time, if you were compared with a guitarist who'd spent 5 years practicing with an Ibanez Gio the guy with the Gio would be better, because buying new gear and spending lots of money on something isn't the way to get better at it, just work at it and don't even think about spending more money than you have to.
Last edited by TheBlackening91 at Apr 23, 2011,
Phil Demmel (first guitarist who came to mind who uses a V - yeah, I'm that into Machine Head...) uses a Jackson V shaped guitar with the same neck recess as the RR24 and he seems to be able to pull off solos just fine with that 24th fret...

And Alexi Laiho has a cut out on his V shaped guitar. What's your point?

I bet if I used that piece of crap BC Rich for 2 years I would have quit guitar a long time ago. If buying gear makes you play guitar more, then buy more gear and do what makes you happy.
Quote by farmosh203
And Alexi Laiho has a cut out on his V shaped guitar. What's your point?

I bet if I used that piece of crap BC Rich for 2 years I would have quit guitar a long time ago. If buying gear makes you play guitar more, then buy more gear and do what makes you happy.

My point was (how the **** did you miss it?) since Demmel doesn't need it and he manages to be a damn good guitarist, I'm sure most people don't, and I'm willing to bet Laiho would be just as good without his cut away Rhoads

If you HAVE to spend thousands of pounds/dollars on gear when you've only been playing guitar for a few months I would really question how interested you are in guitar and your motives for playing guitar
Quote by TheBlackening91
My point was (how the **** did you miss it?) since Demmel doesn't need it and he manages to be a damn good guitarist, I'm sure most people don't, and I'm willing to bet Laiho would be just as good without his cut away Rhoads

Chances are you aren't going to be as good as Demmel if you're a newb at guitar, so why even make this analogy?

Quote by TheBlackening91
If you HAVE to spend thousands of pounds/dollars on gear when you've only been playing guitar for a few months I would really question how interested you are in guitar and your motives for playing guitar

Eh, what else am I going to spend my money on? And I never said I had to have the gear, I wanted it so I got a second job and bought it.

I think the people that don't like when you buy new gear are just the jealous ones with no money.
This post is a perfect example of the curse of the guitar/tattoo/piercing.

You get one.. soon you want another.. before you know it, you're wading through Fenders and eating Gibsons for dinner, I tell ya.
Quote by farmosh203
Chances are you aren't going to be as good as Demmel if you're a newb at guitar, so why even make this analogy?

If you aren't as good as a pro guitarist why do you need a pro guitarist's gear?

Quote by farmosh203
Eh, what else am I going to spend my money on? And I never said I had to have the gear, I wanted it so I got a second job and bought it.

You have nothing else to spend money on other than guitar, something you only just started? I feel bad for you.

Quote by farmosh203
I think the people that don't like when you buy new gear are just the jealous ones with no money.

Really? breaking down into vague internet generalization about someone you don't even know, nicely done
This is a perfect example of why to never listen to anyone on this forum when it comes to gear.

TheBlackening91 apparently knows better than me what guitars / gear I should buy and what I shouldn't.
Quote by farmosh203
This is a perfect example of why to never listen to anyone on this forum when it comes to gear.

TheBlackening91 apparently knows better than me what guitars / gear I should buy and what I shouldn't.

In your case, I agree, since you've spent in excess of £3000 on guitars and guitar equipment and you've been playing for "a few months"

It's more or less impossible to justify that.
Quote by TheBlackening91
In your case, I agree, since you've spent in excess of £3000 on guitars and guitar equipment and you've been playing for "a few months"

Well I made $8,000 last month in profit from my second job (yeah, the job I wouldn't have started if I didn't want to buy more guitar gear). You were saying what was impossible to justify?
Last edited by farmosh203 at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by TheBlackening91

So whats the problem ? If he has the money then why not, alot of people have some of the best gear in the world and cant play but that does´nt give you the right to judge or determine what and when or even if someone should get what ever it is that they want.
Quote by TheBlackening91

Hahaha, I just found out what the retail price for one of those E-AL-166 things is, what a waste of money.

UG users need to get over this GAS bullshit and acquire STFDAPYDIB

Sit The **** Down And Play Your Instrument Bitch
16 year old kids with no money need to stop whining that people with jobs can do what they want to do.

Hahaha, I just found out what the retail price for one of those E-AL-166 things is, what a waste of money.

And sitting on a guitar forum is a waste of time. What's your point? Are you really trying to prove to me that I should only buy what you want me to buy? What are you really trying to prove here?
Last edited by farmosh203 at Apr 23, 2011,
Page 1 of 3