K so i was originally going to spend a shit load of cash on a ****ing expensive head for my melodeath band, and kind of make due with it for my rock/hard rock band. I was originally going to spend a couple grand on something like an Uberschall, Mark V, Engl or something extremely brutal which i'm positive is great for hard rock etc, but i look at it like this. I can easily get a used dual/triple three channel rec for a grand used, which suits my needs, can't say it's my favourite tone, but it gets a good death metal tone, and a decent clean tone (way to bassy), and is fairly versatile for when i want to play other stuff, and my rhythm guitarist has one so i think they would blend well. I don't like the settings i get on a rectifier for rock, really loose and, well it lacks any power.

So with that extra 2 grand i'll buy a cab and a nice tube head to use for my rock band. Cab i'm not to picky about i'll figure that out myself. But the head is tricky. So far i've looked at a Randall RT50H, good reviews but i had one guy tell my that they are absolute junk, but then again, he tried to sell my friend two delay pedals and thinks lamb of god use jay tursers. A bogner alchemist, but i wish it had three similar eq's for each channel, that's my big turn on with the randall. Not sure which else to look at, i'm open to suggestions and i'd like to hear your opinions on the two amps. Three Channels with seperate Eq's is what i'm looking for, good for rock/heavy metal, tube.
well...even tho i have no personal experience with it (so you can choose to heed my advice, or completely ignore it)

i would recommend the Bugera 333xl, from what i hear, it plays anything from country, to the heaviest of metals. Its 3 channels (clean, lead and something else i believe) which is what your looking for, as for seperate EQ with all channels, i have no clue...as i said...i have no personal experience with it
Look for a Randall RM100 it's one of the most versitile amps I've ever played after Mesa Mark IV.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
don't like bugera's, i could get a mark iv but there is none in my area, i'd have to spend like $200 to go try one out, and the RM100 is expensive, let's say $1200 max for a head.
Last edited by maowcat at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Levi79
So, are you looking for 2 different amps or one amp?

I'm getting a rectifier for my melodeath band soon and i'm looking for a different head to use in my rock band since i don't like the rock tone i get out of a rectifier, since i'm a kid and i have money to blow. I just realized i haven't screwed around with the vintage and raw settings of the rectifier my rhythm guitarist keeps at my house a lot but i honestly don't like their sound anyways, modern sounds best to me.
Rock tone is a really broad thing. There's rock bands that use 6505's, so we need to know exactly what your looking for if you want help here. IMO, the Dual Rec could do just fine with rock. Get the Dual rec and a Nice Orange or Mesa cab and spend the rest of your cash on pedals, pickups and other random goodies. But that's just my $0.02 unless your looking for something really particular in a rock tone.
How 'bout a Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King? it has incredible cleans and mild distorted tones with the great metal sound. With one or two 1960 cabs, it would sound amazing.
I just recently got a Peavey JSX 212 combo all tube Amp. Has clean, crunch, and ultra crunch channels. They also have an Amp. head by itself, all the same features, just no built in speakers. I like the sound real well, and if you prefer a slightly different sound, it is capable of two different tube setups.
Yeah, my friend who now owns a dual rec, had an 80's JCM for a while because he's your typical MARSHALL AND GIBSON ARE THE GREATEST THING EVER CREATED, but i eventually got him off the marshalls because that thing was TERRIBLE, worst thing i've ever heard, cleans sucked a giant elephant erection, then when you switched to the distortion channel the elephant shat itself. NEVER will i buy a JCM. Plexi on the other hand, but to expensive, Framus dragon's are amazing amps unfortunately there are none in my area, i wish i had have gotten a job a while ago, i saw one for $1100 used. And thanks for the peavey suggestion but i just don't like the tone, tried to like them but just doesn't float my boat. And levi, when i say rock your right it is pretty broad, i'll be playing anything from glam to priest, sabbath etc. i just want an amp that is more rock/classic metal based than a modern amp like the rectifier, i find rectifiers to be great for brutal metal, maybe a little bit of jazz with the clean channel but that's about it, basically it fits perfectly for what my death metal band does, i could spend 2 grand on an amp that still does rock and death metal great but i like the idea of having two completely different voiced amps, and with one band it's possible i'll be practicing at someone else's place instead of mine (both bands practice at my place), so it would be so convenient to leave my head at someone else's place.

Quote by LolCatGuitar
Um, your 11, almost less than...
Novermber 30th 99'?
A 11 year old buying a dual recto and another head thats in 2 bands?

Something is fishy...

I'm actually 17, i don't know why my profile says that
^ the problem with that jcm is that it wasn't a single channel 2203/2204 800.
I like my jsx, it does blues, rock, shred (mainly melody and solos) really well. Doesn't really excel at much else.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
^ the problem with that jcm is that it wasn't a single channel 2203/2204 800.
I like my jsx, it does blues, rock, shred (mainly melody and solos) really well. Doesn't really excel at much else.

yeah, i did quite a bit of research on it, and it is literally the worst JCM they ever made, apparently the amp's distortion worked like a boss distortion pedal, but it still scares me away from them, my friend has a TSL and it sounds very similar, except it isn't as bright, doesn't cut through the mix and get's a "great" MG tone with the button that makes it more modern sounding... i'm scared of marshalls besides plexi's, or a silver jubilee, if i could find one of those babies used for even $1300 bucks or so i'd get it
Quote by maowcat
yeah, i did quite a bit of research on it, and it is literally the worst JCM they ever made

You're wrong. That's the JCM 900.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Simul-Class Power Amp featuring Multi-Watt and Duo-Class technologies which provide three power and three operating class options that are channel assignable via 10/45/90 Watt Power Switches: Choose 2 power tubes operating in pure vintage Class A (single-ended), producing 10 Watts - 2 tubes running in time-honored Class A/B producing 45 Watts or 4 tubes running in Mesa’s legendary, patented Simul-Class Power that blends the best of Class A and Class A/B simultaneously to produce 90 Watts of pure tonal magic / 4x6L6 (or 4xEL-34), 7x12AX7, 1x5U4

Bias Select Switch (6L6/EL34)

Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance

Full Power/Variac Power

3 Fully Independent Channels with 9 Modes (Channel 1 = Clean, Fat or Tweed™, Channel 2 = Edge, Crunch or Mark I™, Channel 3 = Mark IIC+™, Mark IV™ or Extreme)

Each Channel features: Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Master, Footswitchable or Auto-Assignable Contour Depth Control, Footswitchable All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb Control, Rectifier Tracking (Auto-selects Tube for all 10 Watt Modes, Diode for all 90 Watt Modes, selectable Tube or Diode for 45 Watt Modes on Channels 1 and 2, Diode for 45 Watt Mode on Channel 3.

5 Band Graphic EQ is Footswitchable, Channel Assignable and Selectable between 1 group of 5-Band Sliders or 3 channel specific, variable depth Contour Controls.

Footswitchable, Channel Assignable or True Bypassable Fully Buffered FX Loop with Send Level Control (over all channels when activated)

Output Level Control (over all channels when activated)

Footswitchable Solo Level Control (over all channels when activated)

True “Hard” Bypass Switch removes FX Loops, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path

Tuner Output w/Footswitchable Mute

Slave Out w/Level Control

Fan Cooled with On/Off Switch
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You're wrong. That's the JCM 900.

No it's a JCM 800, it says it on it. This is what it looks like, but beat up and older.
A jet city jca 100 hdm is perfect for what you want and is used by some professionals. But it is two channels.
Quote by patriotplayer90
A jet city jca 100 hdm is perfect for what you want and is used by some professionals. But it is two channels.

So its not then is it?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I don't know what you're talking about with the JCM800, they're arguably one of the finest amps for hard rock. The single channel 800s (models 2203 and 2204) are pretty much legendary. The two-channel ones (like the one in your pic) are less desirable, but still hardly as bad as you describe them... sure there wasn't something wrong with your friend's 800?

Whether an 800 is suitable for you is a different matter altogether though. A single channel 800 with a boost up front is a pretty easy way to get all your '80s sounds covered.

And now I'm really wondering why I have to say this, but here goes: Don't buy an amp you don't like if you can afford ones you do like.

There's plenty of high-gain amps that have good-sounding channels for lower-gain sounds. For instance, the previously mentioned Framus Dragon or an Engl Savage 120 come to mind. If there's nothing like that available on your local craigslist, suck it up for now and wait. Check craigslist, ebay, magazines daily and something will come along. Good amps come to those who wait.