I have a PRS Tremonti SE. I installed an EMG 81 / 85 set on it. The instructions state to put the pickups as close to the strings as possible. The neck is about as close as I could put it without interfering with my picking, so I don't need to raise it any higher. The bridge pickup is not what I would consider 'close' to the strings.
Both pickups are as high as I can get them with the collars that are on my guitar.
There is a very large difference in volume between the neck and the bridge, with the neck being the louder. I need them to be close to the same volume. I don't want to lower the neck as the instructions imply I shouldn't, and, based on what I've read in other posts, I don't think it would fix my problem completely.
What I want to know is:
What is the best way to shim the bottom pickup collar in order to raise the pickup closer to the strings without sacrificing tone or permanently altering the guitar?
---- PRS TREMONTI SE ----

-- CAVE VAGINA DENTATA --
I believe you would just loosen the screws, not sure tho.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
You need some kind of rubber stopper or spring to keep it in place rather than just loosening it which will just make it loose and rattle around.
All I did was get a piece of small card, fold it alot, and slip it in under the pickup and screw it in tight. Works like a charm.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Not at all.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Sounds like your pickup rings are too small. If you can get a thicker ring for the bridge pickup you'll be able to get the pickup higher.
I didn't think about just taking out the springs. I'll try that this evening and if that doesn't work...
Is there some kind of mod I can do, electronically, to increase the volume of the bridge pickup?
---- PRS TREMONTI SE ----

-- CAVE VAGINA DENTATA --
Not without adding preamp or booster of some kind, like the EMG PA-2, Afterburner or the Seymour Duncan Blackout Modular Preamp.

A new, higher pickup ring will fix your problems though.