10-9-7-------7-9----9-7-6-------6---
-------8-7-8--------------7-6-7-----
------------------------------------
-this repeats a-----this repeats a--
-couple of times----couple of times-
-and then comes:----too-------------

OK, I can't seem to figure out what scale this is. Help? I'm guessing it is some sort of exotic scale of something (byzantine, hungarian etc)

And about the harmonizing: it would really help if I knew the scale, but I tried doing it by ear (read: playing random notes with this little riff, hoping something good comes out) but I just can't.

So, anyone who can help me?
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
B minor, with accidentals employed from the melodic minor (Maj 7) and the blues scale (b5).

In the future always assume that the scale is either major or minor, because usually that's all it is.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Ok, but how do I harmonize the accidentals? Let's say that I'm just harmonizing the notes from the B Minor scale with thirds.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Uh, put it on a loop and play perfect 3rds/4ths/whatever over it until you find what sounds good. If there's a certain note that sounds off, change it until it doesn't. Moderately guided trial and error is your best friend.
modes are a social construct
Quote by bartnijman
Ok, but how do I harmonize the accidentals? Let's say that I'm just harmonizing the notes from the B Minor scale with thirds.

Accidentals aren't always harmonised to create chords. However that major 7th is often used to use a V chord in a minor key.

Maybe you should get a better grasp in what accidentals are? You thought this was a Byzantine scale......
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The problem for me is that second part. whatever i play, i cant get a good harmony.

should i harmonise the notes that ARE in the b minor scale with thirds, and then just do 'trail and error' on the notes that are not in the b minor scale?
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by bartnijman
The problem for me is that second part. whatever i play, i cant get a good harmony.

should i harmonise the notes that ARE in the b minor scale with thirds, and then just do 'trail and error' on the notes that are not in the b minor scale?

Sometimes, in problem areas, you leave one note as it is and the other one changes. If it were me, I'd consider thinking in chord tones against the prevailing background. If I couldn't do it, I'd consider whether is was harmonically feasible to persist with trying to harmonize it.

Best,

Sean
so i shouldnt harmonise some of the notes? sorry, but i'm not english/american and 'prevailing', 'feasible', 'persist with trying to': idk what that means
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ