So, I went to Kosmic today to buy some strings and picks. Since it's the first time I've been there in 6 months, I decided to noodle a bit. Played some bass, including a lovely Ibanez ATK300, and some amps, before something caught my eye...

Sorry for the terrible quality picture, I had to use my laptop's webcam since I can't find my camera.

It's an Epiphone Wilshire, and it was an absolute steal, at $299, down from $699.

I've been looking for a second guitar for a while, since my primary tuning is now D-standard, and I need a guitar for E-standard and weird drop tunings (My band plays Citizen Erased, in AADGBE, and it's awkward to tune from D-standard to that).

It's got your standard dual humbuckers, 2 tone/2 volume controls. I've always liked the reissue Wilshire shape, and to actually find one so cheaply was brilliant. I played it through a Bugera 6260 at the store (dodgy match-up) on the clean and crunch. The neck pickup on this thing, on clean, is crystal clear, almost no hint of mud at all, unlike the Passive EMG's on my Cort. On crunch it stays clear, and has a great mellow tone to it.

The bridge pickup is also extremely clear, it has a slightly jangly tone too which I dig on the cleans, and for crunch it excels. I play mainly Rock, alt-Rock and Progressive stuff, like Feeder, blink-182, Gyroscope, Muse and Porcupine Tree, and I think I've made a good choice.

Got home, plugged it into my Fuzz factory and wah, into my Vox VT15. Sounds just as good as it did in the store. Using the AC15 model it gets some really great vintage rock tones going, and then on the Boutique OD (my favourite model), it gets a fantastic crunch. The clarity from the pickups is amazing, I definitely prefer them to my Cort.

Overall I think I've made a great purchase, really happy with it, especially for a $300 guitar. Will make a great backup/secondary guitar, and I'm gonna love it for a while to come.

Another Perthian !
Sweet find mate!
HNGD
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I highly doubt those where ever 699 dollars..

Nethertheless i like the look of those probably because of paul gilbert and they're nice priced

anyways HNGD
Quote by coolstoryangus
I highly doubt those where ever 699 dollars..

Nethertheless i like the look of those probably because of paul gilbert and they're nice priced

anyways HNGD

Everything costs about twice as much in Australia
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Sounds like you're in love again. The guitar has a nice look to it, unassuming but functional.
I bought 8 packs of heavy Boomers with a .060 specifically for Citizen Erased.

I haven't seen any of those in local stores, you've convinced me to try and find one. HNGD!
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Compulsive buys ftw

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yeah jesus that sucks. i mean i always like the vintage vibe from the wilshire.

i mean it sucks that that guitar would be 700. i mean its a nice guitar, but for 300. not for 700 (dictated by the market in america)
Cheers guys, I was having a look on eBay and Gumtree last night, used, this costs more than what I payed for it new since it's been discontinued now. Fixed all the intonation and action this morning (don't know what they were smoking when they set this up at the shop) and it plays like a dream, well, for a $300 guitar.

It seems that when the guitar originally came out, the Aussie dollar was a lot weaker on the American, so the price was ramped up (add shipping and you end up with around a $700 price tag). Now that the two currencies are on a par with one another, the music shops are reluctant to drop the prices, particularly on amps and guitars, since most people aren't too fond of shipping a guitar from the US or elsewhere (based on price of shipping and potential for damage) and the same for amps (added to the fact they need new transformers when they get here too). This means that they can charge higher prices, and they know that they'll make the money.

Pedals are coming down in price a lot now though, which is nice