Hi forum
I've been looking for a new guitar and I'm thinking of a superstrat.. I've allready found two guitars and now I need you to tell which one is the better for simple distorted thrashmetal :-)
- http://schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Omen-Extreme-6-FR.aspx
- http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=209&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=479

thank you in advance :-)
I'm not sure that there's a great deal of difference between those two guitars, but I'm leaning towards the Schecter in this case. Almost purely because of the Floyd Rose. Have you had a look at any of the LTD/ESP super strats though? Worth checking out.
As with any purchase, it's a matter of personal preference. You've shown two quite different guitars there; for example the schecter has a tremolo, the ibanez doesn't, the ibanez looks like it has active electronics (requiring a battery), the schecter doesn't and so on...

You say you want to play thrash metal?

Then on paper, I would say that the Ibanez is the best bet; the fixed bridge will mean it should be stable when you pick harder, and the active pickups and EQ will mean that you can potentially get a bigger sound with more gain..

If you intend gigging with these guitars I would say that the Ibanez also offers more reliability as the Floyd Rose tremolos can be a hassle to restring..

Ultimately, the best advice is to try the guitars in a shop and then judge how they both feel and sound and base your decision on that!

Hope this helps..
Quote by Mahabajaba
I'm not sure that there's a great deal of difference between those two guitars, but I'm leaning towards the Schecter in this case. Almost purely because of the Floyd Rose. Have you had a look at any of the LTD/ESP super strats though? Worth checking out.

Uhhh, not exactly correct. Within 2 minutes of playing these two guitars you'll notice a HUGE difference in feel between the two necks. The Schecter neck is rounder and fatter, whereas the neck on the Ibby will be thinner and MUCH faster to play.

For thrash metal? Ibanez hands down. No contest.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by Mahabajaba

More or less the opposite of this, the Floyd Rose really puts me off the Schecter

IMO you should save up like another £20 and buy the RGA 32's bigger brother, the RGA 42
Quote by 57Goldtop
Uhhh, not exactly correct. Within 2 minutes of playing these two guitars you'll notice a HUGE difference in feel between the two necks. The Schecter neck is rounder and fatter, whereas the neck on the Ibby will be thinner and MUCH faster to play.

For thrash metal? Ibanez hands down. No contest.
Being able to play fast isn't automatic with an ibanez neck. I can play faster on my Schecter then I can my friends Ibanez. Being able to play fast=playing on a neck you are comfortable with
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
Being able to play fast isn't automatic with an ibanez neck. I can play faster on my Schecter then I can my friends Ibanez. Being able to play fast=playing on a neck you are comfortable with

Exactly, it's all about comfort. Of course the neck profiles will be different between guitar brands, it's not even something that someone giving internet advice can consider, due to it being a personal preference, rather than a difference between gear specs.
Thank you all for your advising!
I've happend too fall in love with a badass ESP that my local store just got, therefore I will be picking it up as soon as possible, instead of the Schecter or the Ibanez :-)
I went to my local string, pick etc. Supplier and tried both guitars, and i found the Schecter a bit more comfy, though i seemed to be performing better on the Ibanez, so I guess you were both right in some way.

Play hard and fast forum :b
Peace