Happy St George's Day all you English folk out there

Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
wat is this I don't even...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Gear
Guitars
PRS CE22
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
B.C.Rich Warlock Bronze series (raffle prize)
Pedals
Crybaby from Hell
Blackstar HT-Dual
Line 6 DL-4

Amp
Cornford Roadhouse 30
ZOMG St Georges Cross! He's a racist, get him!

I don;t even know if it is actually St Georges day today, we never seem to celebrate it. The Irish have a much better way of celebrating their saint, hell I'd celebrate St Welsh day if we did it like st paddys day.
Does anyone actually care about St George's Day?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
wut?
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
It's my parents 27th wedding anniversary today.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Damn, is that today?

I personaly hate it. Not because of what it's supposed to represent but because of what often happens around here on that particular day, which is basicaly that all the racists go out in force to celebrate and get drunk. It can quite often get nasty, especially for anyone of obvious foreign decent.

Y'see, for some reason, St. George has become something of an English racist's hero, (they wear his emblem, which is also the English flag) even though the guy was Middle Eastern, never set foot in England, more than likely had a dark complexion and would be treated as a hated foreigner if any of them actualy met the guy.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Y'see, for some reason, St. George has become something of an English racist's hero, (they wear his emblem, which is also the English flag) even though the guy was Middle Eastern, never set foot in England, more than likely had a dark complexion and would be treated as a hated foreigner if any of them actualy met the guy.

try explaining that to the BNP or EDL, im fairly certain most of them think Jesus was english....
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
Quote by I.O.T.M
Does anyone actually care about St George's Day?

Well I think we should somewhat, but everyone elses seems to care about St Patrick's day even if they aren't Irish, so I thought why the hell not?

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Well I think we should somewhat, but everyone elses seems to care about St Patrick's day even if they aren't Irish, so I thought why the hell not?

That's because it's an excuse to get drunk.

To be a true Englishman you must complain about everything including the fact that you're English. That is of course until someone claims that their country is better than England in which case you defend it.
Quote by elvor0
ZOMG St Georges Cross! He's a racist, get him!

I don;t even know if it is actually St Georges day today, we never seem to celebrate it. The Irish have a much better way of celebrating their saint, hell I'd celebrate St Welsh day if we did it like st paddys day.

It's only really vastly celebrated due to the migration during the famine really...and the beer companies..... :P Guinness Celebrates Arthur's Day on a Thursday every year aswell for the moneys... XD
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
Quote by SlipknotRule93

Im with you old chap, people avoid St Georges at any cost just to avoid upsetting anyone.
Quote by Rufusftw
Im with you old chap, people avoid St Georges at any cost just to avoid upsetting anyone.

noone celebrates St Georges day, theres just occaisional flags around (which wouldnt be noticed this year due to the ridiculous amount of royal wedding advertising) and discussions like this about how we dont do anything
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
Quote by Rufusftw

Around here, people avoid it to avoid the drunken racists.

Quote by Rufusftw
Wow way to go about hating..

I'm sorry if me hating drunken racists offends you, it's just that they tend to make me nervous, especially when they are attacking my neigbours. Maybe I'm being irrational, but I don't think so, I don't think it is irrational to be nervous of the sort of people who do this kind of damage to my neigbourhood:

This is, or was, an Asian run shop close to my own home, which was set alight during the Burnley race riots while the Asian family, including children, were trapped upstairs.
They were thankfully resued by the police, but personaly I will never forget those screams.

Now, while I understand that St. Georges day is probably a much different thing in other parts of the country, around here it is pretty much used by the racists to celebrate such acts of local racist violence, which in turn causes many other people to just stay indoors for the day.

I'm not saying St. George's day shouldn't be celebrated at all, I'm just saying that that's how it is often celebrated in my area and I wish it was different.
Quote by SlipknotRule93

Exactly. **** knows why english people make such a big deal about drinking on St Patrick's Day when they're not even the slightest bit irish.

After I've baked a cake for tomorrow, I think I'm going to rally up a few friends and head to the pub. Hurrah.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by thrash-it-up
try explaining that to the BNP or EDL, im fairly certain most of them think Jesus was english....

God is english. At least the civilised one.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Damn, is that today?

I personaly hate it. Not because of what it's supposed to represent but because of what often happens around here on that particular day, which is basicaly that all the racists go out in force to celebrate and get drunk. It can quite often get nasty, especially for anyone of obvious foreign decent.

This chain of thought does not make any sense.

Explain to me how that it works that because I just do not get it. Just because St. George was not English does not mean that those who celebrate his memory have to support immigration, do they? The celebration of St. George is a strong English tradition and patriots have every right to celebrate it.

Also that sort of violence that you have witnessed is obviously wrong and unacceptable, but the race riots that have happened in many of these towns (Burnley, Blackburn etc.) are not solely the fault of the whites but often also the non-whites too, something you forget to mention.

EDIT: Anyway, a Happy St. George's day to everyone!
Today's my cat's birthday.... he died three months ago.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Explain to me how that it works that because I just do not get it. Just because St. George was not English does not mean that those who celebrate his memory have to support immigration, do they? The celebration of St. George is a strong English tradition and patriots have every right to celebrate it.

Also that sort of violence that you have witnessed is obviously wrong and unacceptable, but the race riots that have happened in many of these towns (Burnley, Blackburn etc.) are not solely the fault of the whites but often also the non-whites too, something you forget to mention.

EDIT: Anyway, a Happy St. George's day to everyone!

To be fair, if anything, he was just highlighting the irony of it all, the way they simulataneously love a guy who was foreign, yet hate other foreigners.

Anyway, Happy St. George's Day!

Quote by Dash49
Today's my cat's birthday.... he died three months ago.

Today's my Grandma's birthday, she died 14 years ago I think

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I think St Georges day is not celebrating the man himself, but what he represents; bravery and nobility.

A couple of councils near here hold parades for it where it isn't hijacked by any groups but just where its a day out for families and thats what it should be.
Quote by Bestykid
I think St Georges day is not celebrating the man himself, but what he represents; bravery and nobility.

A couple of councils near here hold parades for it where it isn't hijacked by any groups but just where its a day out for families and thats what it should be.

Well that's why he's our patron saint, isn't it? Because he's a good role model.

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
He was a Roman soldier who slew a mythological creature? Why is he the patron saint of England again?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
He was a Roman soldier who slew a mythological creature? Why is he the patron saint of England again?

Tradition.
The George is a gay bar in Dublin.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by OddOneOut
Exactly. **** knows why english people make such a big deal about drinking on St Patrick's Day when they're not even the slightest bit irish.

After I've baked a cake for tomorrow, I think I'm going to rally up a few friends and head to the pub. Hurrah.

What about those of us who have Irish heritage and just want an excuse to drink as much guiness as possible?
Quote by Nosferatu Man

I have no qualms with tradition, I think it's great that we have a patron saint with a day that we can all celebrate, but I just think it's a shame that the racists have adopted him as a kind of mascot, spoiling his imagery for many and turning his day into something that people in many parts of the country don't wish to have anything to do with. As SlipknotRule93 said, I was simply pointing out the irony of racists having a mascot that they would personaly hate if they ever met him.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Dude, I was there, you were not. Please don't tell me what caused the riots on my own doorstep when I saw with my own eyes what caused it, namely, a lot of white racists marching into a mixed race community hurling stones through windows, setting cars on fire and burning the property of those from a different ethnic background.

If someone was threatening your home, your property, your family in this way, would you consider yourself to be equally to blame for the ensuing riots for simply defending what's yours?

I wasn't in Blackburn during the riots so I obviously cannot comment on them, but I'm simply reporting what racism has done in my own area of Burnley and what St. George's Day means to many ordinary people here as a result.

I repeat, I have nothing against St. George or the celebrating of his day, but I object to what white racists in my own area have done to it's reputation.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 24, 2011,