hi, im building a ross compressor clone using the diagram from tonepad.com with the fuzzcentral mods, but i cant find a CA3080 or LM3080 chip anywhere:/ ive ordered a LM308N from doctortweek because he said it was same chip but im still a little unsure - could anyone verify/help with this? is it an okay replacement? thanks
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
Not even close to the same thing. The 3080 is a transconductance amplifier, which is quite different from your run of the mill op amp. The 3080 is hard to find these days. I think I know of a replacement but I have to find the part number.
ah okay haha i did wonder:-p oh if you can suggest a replacement that would be brilliant pedals built im just waiting delivery of the chip, but il cancel the order if it wont work haha
EQ’ing your guitars for a nasty, chuggy, badass recording tone that will take the face off a ten-ton badger
If you are using a prefboard then you could use this chip

http://www.newark.com/national-semiconductor/lm13700n-nopb/ic-transconductance-amp-2mhz-dip/dp/41K3507

Its hard to find any CA3080s or LM3080 or even the CA3280 for that matter. The one above is similar to the CA3080, as in when they designed the chip they actually used two CA3080 IC's for the bread boarding phase of the design. You'll have to figure out what pins correspond to what on the CA3080 but I can give you some help i if you need it. It may sound a bit different... but if you are looking for them cheap its really the only option you have.

Since your in England Farnell is the parent company of Newark across the pond.
ok thanks a lot ive just read about people dropping in a nte966 as direct replacement because its apparently a rebadged 3080 so just trying to source one haha
ah okay thanks alot its amazing how google works for some and not others haha, might order it from germany then, the price on farnell is frankly just stupid:-p so yeah will get refund then place an order, thanks a lot for your help
You should go here: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/
Type in CA3080.
When its done loading, scroll down to the very bottom and click the "Cross Reference" link.
It will show you what the "functional equivalent" is.

Be forewarned though, "functional equivalent" stuff does not always work properly. Depends greatly on the circuit.