So I was playing my Viper 50 a couple days back and I felt the bridge was a little different than usual. Actually I thought it was a little tight so I loosened it up a bit and now it's messed up. The 6th string rings too much while the other strings are a bit okay. What should I do ? Tightening it or loosening it makes no difference and the sixth string keeps on ringing a lot and it sounds irritating and it's a bit difficult to play.
What do you mean the bridge was a little tight? are you talking about the string action? You probably just lowered the strings the too much and they are too close to the frets. There is a whole process you need to follow, starting with adjusting the truss rod. Make sure the neck is straight with just a tad bit of relief. Then once you do that, readjust the string action at the bridge. Lower it to where you like and play it. If the strings ring too much, higher it up slightly until you dont mind the buzz any more. then you need to set the intonation for each individual string.
Oh. Thanks man. I'll try doing that. If I mess up again by chance then I guess I'll just take it to the guitar store or something.
The Viper has a fixed bridge right? It sounds like you just adjusted the screw at the bottom, just turn it the opposite way you did previously (that screw should only really be used if you need to change the intonation), if you want 'looser' feeling strings buy a lighter gauge next time
Yeah my mistake... didn't move the bridge but changed the intonation (is it the same as string action or action ? Pardon me but I am a newbie to guitar terminology.). And already tried turning it the opposite way as mentioned in my first comment but it's just not sounding as good as it used to.
Quote by paranj
Yeah my mistake... didn't move the bridge but changed the intonation (is it the same as string action or action ? Pardon me but I am a newbie to guitar terminology.). And already tried turning it the opposite way as mentioned in my first comment but it's just not sounding as good as it used to.

It's okay, it took me ages to work out what everybody was on about when it comes to guitar terminology. I won't mention the Truss Rod since that seems to be capable of scaring any guitar newbie into never wanting to mess around with their guitar, but generally speaking the screws at the bottom of the bridge with the springs (On a Gibson style bridge like your ESP it will be the screws that move the |V| shaped things the strings sit in at the bridge) are for adjusting the intonation of the guitar (make sure you loosen the strings a tad before you do this). As for adjusting the string action, the truss rod does come into play but it's not worth going into, basically you need to use a small alan key to alter the heights of the scews on either side of the bridge saddle (on a regular strat style bridge, if I remember correctly the Viper uses a string thru Gibson type bridge, so it will probably be a bit different, in which case you just raise/lower the whole bridge [but make sure it stays level] with the screws on either side).

If the action is made too low because of the way the truss rod is set up and because the bridge saddles are too low the string(s) will buzz, so you want a compromise between low action and no fret buzz. Also, if the string is made to be too loose some fret buzz may occur, although if it's a decently made guitar (any any ESP should be) this shouldn't happen if the guitar is intonated correctly.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/action.htm - This site explains it well enough if you can filter out most of the guitar terminology that isn't necessary and difficult to understand.

Good luck with figuring it all out, it took me a broken neck on a cheap (although it was my first guitar, so I felt pretty bad about that) Epiphone (tightened the Truss Rod too much and *PING*) and a fair few hours of guitar work to get it all sussed, but it's definitely worth it when you don't have to pay anyone to set your guitar up for you and you can charge your friends to set up their guitars for them.
Last edited by TheBlackening91 at Apr 23, 2011,
Thanks for all that man! Its really informative! Gonna try it today, was busy yesterday. I hope I can fix it. It doesn't sound that complex after reading your last post.