Page 1 of 3
I was just reading through a thread that said something about tons of advertising about the royal wedding, now I live in the u.s. so I have barely even heard about this (from what I've heard i guess I'm lucky)

My questions though are what is different about let's say the UK from here, like culturally, geographically, etc, like for instance I live in a medium to large size town outside of Indianapolis but j could drive 5 minutes and be out in the middle of nowhere and able too see miles in every direction , also Ive heard trucks aren't common in the UK but here when you see a smart car people almost pull out there phone to take a picture because its weird, also I'm not sure how it is in the uk but we have everything incredibly spaced out, like there will be a huge housing decolopment where everyone lives, then up the road all the supermarkets are together, basically NOTHING is within walking distance even though its a dense town

I think I'm rambling but im just interested in how different life is across the pond

Edit:lots of typos, on a droid phone
Last edited by Phalen123 at Apr 23, 2011,
umm, maybe what you call a medium town is a small town to us here. :P I know where I live, you can drive 5 minutes out and see for miles and miles. All supermarkets are spread out so they don't have so much competition, but you will have a supermarket every 3 miles or so.. but then it'll stop and you won't see one for 20-30 miles.. lol
in ireland cars have only been used in the last ten years really but horse and cart is still the most popular means of transport. we dont have meals the way they do in engerland where you have a separate liquid and solid portion. here we just eat stews and drink stout which is sorta like a thick soupy beer
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by rhys digby
umm, maybe what you call a medium town is a small town to us here. :P I know where I live, you can drive 5 minutes out and see for miles and miles. All supermarkets are spread out so they don't have so much competition, but you will have a supermarket every 3 miles or so.. but then it'll stop and you won't see one for 20-30 miles.. lol

I kind of live on the edge of my town, but my down is big enough to have 2 high schools with a bit over 1500 students each and several middle schools if that puts it in perspective, but there are towns near here so small that they only have 1 road run through them
I live in Canada, in a dense neighborhood, and can walk to pretty much everything. We're not a metropolis, but we're not very little. I certainly wouldn't try to walk all the way across the city.
Quote by Phalen123
I was just reading through a thread that said something about tons of advertising about the royal wedding, now I live in the u.s. so I have barely even heard about this (from what I've heard i guess I'm lucky)

Well seeing as you don't acknowledge the Royal Family as your monarchs that's hardly surprising.

My questions though are what is different about let's say the UK from here, like culturally, geographically, etc, like for instance I live in a medium to large size town outside of Indianapolis but j could drive 5 minutes and be out in the middle of nowhere and able too see miles in every direction

Pretty much all of the UK is like this. I could walk 2 minutes and be surrounded by rolling hills for miles.

, also Ive heard trucks aren't common in the UK but here when you see a smart car people almost pull out there phone to take a picture because its weird,

What?

also I'm not sure how it is in the uk but we have everything incredibly spaced out, like there will be a huge housing decolopment where everyone lives, then up the road all the supermarkets are together, basically NOTHING is within walking distance even though its a dense town

It's called a town, believe it or not, we have them too.

I think I'm rambling but im just interested in how different life is across the pond

Edit:lots of typos, on a droid phone

It would seem the full stop hasn't made it to America yet.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
We call sh*ts niffy loo puddings.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Phalen123
What is full stop?

notsureifsrs.png
The UK is in the Europe, and while it might not be very of the Europe it has a slightly more the European mindset than the US.
🙈 🙉 🙊
In England we are a hell of a lot more densely populated. You will rarely have a stretch of road that you can drive a long for 10 minutes without passing some kind of settlement.

Plus we don't talk to complete strangers unless asking for directions or complaining about a late bus. Whereas I noticed when I've been on American flights everyone is talking to eachother asking them where they come from.

If someone did this in England it would be really awkward and you would be annoyed at the person for being friendly.
I've had people tell that, compared to America, England has a very European feel to it.

Quote by Greenie_777
Plus we don't talk to complete strangers unless asking for directions or complaining about a late bus. Whereas I noticed when I've been on American flights everyone is talking to eachother asking them where they come from.

If someone did this in England it would be really awkward and you would be annoyed at the person for being friendly.

What? People speak to me on the bus, or at the bus stop, or in queues in stores all the time.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Phalen123
Completelyserious.jpg

It's the proper word for a period. Not the messy girly thing, but the thing you end your sentence with.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Back in the Canada, things were very different than down here in the America, ya know eh?
Now I'm
Quote by Todd Hart
I've had people tell that, compared to America, England has a very European feel to it.

What? People speak to me on the bus, or at the bus stop, or in queues in stores all the time.

Are you from the north?

Also my friends American mum said that Glastonbury wouldn't work in America because people don't like the camping or something?
Dunno how true this is but when I looked at Coachella tickets it seemed there has only been camping for a few years.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Greenie_777
Are you from the north?

Also my friends American mum said that Glastonbury wouldn't work in America because people don't like the camping or something?
Dunno how true this is but when I looked at Coachella tickets it seemed there has only been camping for a few years.

No I'm from East Anglia.
Most countries outside the UK aren't getting hung up on their royal wedding either..

Its nearly impossible to list differences because there are so many, even though there are loads of similarities too. Travel, it will answer all your questions
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Todd Hart
No I'm from East Anglia.

Really? Everytime I've been to the Airport in an English queue everyone keeps to themselves for the most part.
based on what little knowledge of the eastern lands I have gathered, it seems that umbrellas are a popular vehicle, chimney sweeps do song and dance numbers on the roofs of the affluent, and you can jump into chalk drawings and play with penguins.
Quote by Greenie_777
Really? Everytime I've been to the Airport in an English queue everyone keeps to themselves for the most part.

Ooer. Most times, someone will make a joke about queuing, everyone will laugh, someone else will add to the joke and then everyone's in the conversation.
American people are generally talking about their feelings a lot and are very touchy in conversations. When having a conversation with a stranger in the UK, you most likely won't talk about your therapist or your health problems you would just have small talk about the weather, and both parties would keep their hands to themselves.

Other than that, I would suggest you are very ignorant. Whod'a thunk the country the monarchy is from would put more emphasis on one of the royal family getting married than America would?
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
We have these badboys.

And we have counties.

What in holy ****? And I thought our one lane roundabouts were annoying.

And we have counties too.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
American people are generally talking about their feelings a lot and are very touchy in conversations. When having a conversation with a stranger in the UK, you most likely won't talk about your therapist or your health problems you would just have small talk about the weather, and both parties would keep their hands to themselves.

Other than that, I would suggest you are very ignorant. Whod'a thunk the country the monarchy is from would put more emphasis on one of the royal family getting married than America would?

That irony
OMG the ****ing royal wedding. Who gives a shit, these people don't have any bloody tangible power. I care about these people getting married as much as I care about my neighbor three doors getting married, and all I know about them is that he's got a kick-ass El Camino.

Like really people, who is actually going to watch this besides my disneyland princess fairytale thinking 10 year old cousin. And even she won't give a shit, she just thinks it's cute or something.
Quote by darkcheef
That irony

Sorry, how so?

When I said 'you' I meant the TS, not all people in America
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well that's not true at all.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
(...)

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

What.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Sorry, how so?

I was pointing out to where you said most Americans have touchy conversations with random people.

I've only met two random people who tried to have that type of conversation, so I'm sure most Americans don't go up to strangers talking about being depressed or something
Quote by Alex Vik
What in holy ****? And I thought our one lane roundabouts were annoying.

And we have counties too.

edit:

You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Todd Hart
No I'm from East Anglia.

East Anglia FTW!!!!!
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
We have tonnes of funny roundabouts

wut?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 3