im thinking about getting a bass guitar, but i dont want to spend more than #300 or $400 on a bass and amp. should i get a value package or should i buy a cheap bass and amp separately?
The amps that come with packages usually do nothing but distort and rattle. Your price range can get you a good starter bass like the Peavey Millenium and a bass amp like the Behringer 1 X 12 combo. That would be sufficient for most practice / church gigs. I use a cheap Ibanez 35 watt 10 inch speaker in church and have no problems. Rondo Music also has some decent basses for under $200. Acoustic has a couple bass amps for under $200. Any of these would be better than the starter packages.
4 hunge USD should get you a VM Jazz and one of those Acousic B10 or B20 things new. You'd do better if you went all craigslist and shit. Assuming you mean USD of course.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
If you want a modern tone a Ibanez GSR200 and a Acoustic B20 could fit in your budget.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Ibanez GSR200 or a Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz, and a Peavey MAX 158 for the amp. That should fit your budget nicely and kick the snot out of any starter pack.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
im thinking about getting the Rogue LX200B Series II Bass Guitar... can you use a normal amp with a bass or do you need a amp for a bass
i definatly dont suggest one of those package deals >.< i have a package deal bass and it's got fret buzz out the wazoo.
hit up ebay, they have....well, everything.
try a fleabass :] or a yamaha, ive heard good things about those two. or better yet, go to a music store and check out what you want and play around with it, then hit up ebay and see if you can get a better price on the one you want :]