I've never quite been satisfied with my RP355 since I got it. Switching between presets is a bit of a pain, with only up/down controls as well as the noticeable patch dropout. I originally thought the stompbox mode would help, but it's so limited and almost useless. The amp a/b helps as there is no noticeable drop-out, but it's still limited.

There are a few things I really like about the RP355 that I wouldn't want to live without like USB patch editing, and USB recording (ASIO Drivers).

I've been considering the RP500 line as I think it has more stompbox options and the ability to switch between patches in a bank, but it would still have patch drop-outs and looses the amp a/b, which would suck.

I've also had my eye on Line 6 Pod HD line, but I've not been able to find them locally to try them out, so I don't know as much about them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
whats your current rig
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Any local Guitar Center should have the new HD models in the box, and you can always ask to try them out. However, I heard that some of the higher gain models have their signal clip when used with high output pickups. That might be fixed, I'm not sure.. I was just looking into them a few weeks ago.
Quote by deepsal
whats your current rig

I'm a hobbyist but my current gear is

Fender Blacktop Jag
RP355 to PC or Amp
Peavey Mace Amp Head
Fender 2x12

Quote by polishedbullet
Any local Guitar Center should have the new HD models in the box, and you can always ask to try them out. However, I heard that some of the higher gain models have their signal clip when used with high output pickups. That might be fixed, I'm not sure.. I was just looking into them a few weeks ago.

I dont know if the blacktop's pickups count as high output. Would the RP355 be subject to clipping? It's not something I've particularly noticed.
You're playing a Peavey Mace ....in your bedroom? Like all 160 watts of it? If you are dude you rock!

You don't specify your budget but if I was buying a modeler I'd get a used Digitech GPS1101. You would also need a foot controller.. It's what your RP355 is supposed to be.
Quote by BobDetroit
You're playing a Peavey Mace ....in your bedroom? Like all 160 watts of it? If you are dude you rock!

You don't specify your budget but if I was buying a modeler I'd get a used Digitech GPS1101. You would also need a foot controller.. It's what your RP355 is supposed to be.

Spare bedroom, but yeah

I do a lot of practicing at night with phones on and some direct recording.

My budget would be $500 or under. The stuff I've been looking at is like the Line 6 PodHD 400 or 500, RP500 or RP1000. I'm strongly considering trying the Line 6 stuff just for something different.

I ended up giving my dad my RP355 for his birthday/fathers day. He's be rocking a hand-me-down DOD FX7 I originally got back in the 90's, so the RP355 was a bit of an improvement.

I thought I'd use that as an excuse to try something new as well.
i have a RP355 as well and something that i've been eyeing for a while is the GR-55 Roland Synthesizer....its a bit over your budget, but man, from everything i've seen...that thing is amazing

if you want something within your budget, then simply upgrade the 355 to the 500, because i hear those things are quite an upgrade from the 355

BTW, i have the same problem with the 355...my favorite settings are 29 and 35 and in the middle of a gig if i want to switch to them fast, i have to friggen pray i dont over shoot and hit 36...which is the WAH setting lol
Quote by VintageAmigo
i have a RP355 as well and something that i've been eyeing for a while is the GR-55 Roland Synthesizer....its a bit over your budget, but man, from everything i've seen...that thing is amazing

if you want something within your budget, then simply upgrade the 355 to the 500, because i hear those things are quite an upgrade from the 355

BTW, i have the same problem with the 355...my favorite settings are 29 and 35 and in the middle of a gig if i want to switch to them fast, i have to friggen pray i dont over shoot and hit 36...which is the WAH setting lol

Well you could use the software to move them next to each other, or if you were a masochist you could transpose the settings to adjacent presets.

I'm considering an RP500 or even a used RP1000. Overall I like the sound of the RP series, just not the particulars of the RP355.
Quote by cadred
Well you could use the software to move them next to each other, or if you were a masochist you could transpose the settings to adjacent presets.

I'm considering an RP500 or even a used RP1000. Overall I like the sound of the RP series, just not the particulars of the RP355.

ya i know, i just never have taken the time to do that...and ya, i actually like the RP series. They are pretty good multi-effect pedals for a good price and the effects are actually pretty good too.
Quote by VintageAmigo
ya i know, i just never have taken the time to do that...and ya, i actually like the RP series. They are pretty good multi-effect pedals for a good price and the effects are actually pretty good too.

For 500 you could easily get the RP1000.
It supports 4CM so you can use your Peavey's tone along with it as well as add stomp boxes to the RP's loop. It also as a 38 second looper, not to mention way more switches.
Another good option os the POD HD500
Ya...i completely forgot about the POD's, those are really good as well
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
I think I've settled on a used RP1000. Only slightly more than a new RP500, and cheaper than either an HD400 or HD500. Also the amp loop sounds like it might be useful.

I played with a Pod HD400 this weekend and while it seems like an awesome unit, it didn't blow me away like I was hoping.
Btw, the amp loop doesn't really work with the Peavey Mace as far as I can tell. It doesn't have a pre-amp in, only out. It does have a pwr. amp in, but that cuts off any and all signal from the standard inputs.
I think the HD500 is more flexible and the looper is twice as long (40 vs 20). But you can get the 1000 for $100 less new. I got my 1000 for $225 off Craigslist. There is an HD500 on there for $400 now.
Quote by fly135
I think the HD500 is more flexible and the looper is twice as long (40 vs 20). But you can get the 1000 for $100 less new. I got my 1000 for $225 off Craigslist. There is an HD500 on there for $400 now.

How is the HD500 more flexible?
You can have multiples of the same category of effect active at once up to the processing limit.
Quote by fly135
You can have multiples of the same category of effect active at once up to the processing limit.

Interesting, I didn't know that. They should advertise that feature more. Not something I'd use much, but it's definitely a plus to have.
Last edited by cadred at May 10, 2011,
P-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-pod...

You can get great tones from it, just need to spend a bit of time tweaking it, all the clips on my soundcloud were done with my 300.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb