Hey guys, wasn't sure where to put this.

I finish uni next year, right around my 21st birthday, and I'm thinking of getting a nice 7 string guitar to treat myself as a reward for not dying after three years of nothing but Maths.

However, I'm unsure what guitar I want to get. I know the main specs I'm looking for, which are:

Mahogany or alder body
5 piece maple/(something like wenge/walnut) neck, with a wizard-7/ii-7 style neck profile
Ebony (preferable) or rosewood fretboard
Satin finish on the neck
25.5 scale
AANJ or neck-through
Super strat esque shape, with great upper fret access
24 frets, XJ
16 or 17 inch fretboard radius
Graphtech nut
Input jack like the Ibanez S series (example picture: http://boutiqueguitarresource.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sxouhi1.jpg)
1 volume control, no tone knob
2 passive humbuckers, undecided on exactly what models but probably an X2n7/d-activator7 and a d-activator7 neck
Fixed string thru bridge, preferably like the hipshot 7 bridges or a recessed tune-o-matic

I've probably got around a £1,000 budget, which is why I'm posting here. I was originaly looking at the RAN Crusher model, but after being on sevenstring.org I'm wary about getting a RAN after the multiple horror stories.
So then I looked at the KxK Sii-7, but even without shipping and import tax it looks like it would go well above my budget.
Finally, I thought about grabbing either an RG7321 or an RGA7 and basically modding the hell out of it, replacing everything but the actual wood of the guitar.

What would you guys suggest? Risk RAN? Try and scrape together funds for a KxK? Mod a production model? Or do you have any other ideas I could look into?

TL;DR: Want those specs, RAN have many horror stories, KxK very expensive, modded production model will have a lower build quality. What should I go with, and do you have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I wasn't aware Ran had horror stories- do you have any links? (sorry for the hijack)

Regarding going custom versus off-the-shelf...

It really depends on several things.

The advantages of going custom are:

1 You can get exactly what you want
2 Often cheaper and/or with higher quality than going off-the-shelf

The disadvantages are:

1) You have to wait for it to be built
2) You need to know exactly what you want (or at very least pick a good luthier whose opinions you trust regarding choosing a spec), and not change your mind.
3) Resale is likely to be poor (or at least poorer than most off-the-shelf guitars), even more so if you go for an idiosyncratic spec.
4) Until you actually have the thing in your hand, it's a little bit up-in-the-air as to what the final product will actually be like.

Furthermore, the advantages I listed only apply if you pick a good luthier, and one who is familiar with all the specs you want the guitar to have (if you want a very specific neck profile, for example, if the luthier you pick hasn't tried that neck, you might not end up with exactly what you want).

This might sound like I'm against customs- I'm not, I have a Legra and I like it a lot (also, just by going through the whole speccing/build procedure I learnt a ton about electric guitars and what affects tone that I otherwise wouldn't have). But they aren't for everyone, it depends on what type of person you are, exactly how customised you need it to be/how many similar guitars are available off-the-shelf, etc. etc. Of course, by the same token, there are many players for whom buying off-the-shelf would be a worse idea than going custom.

Basically, for me anyway, it boils down to whether or not there is a guitar with a similar spec available off-the-shelf, for a price a bit cheaper than going custom. If there were something which were exactly what I wanted off-the-shelf (and assuming I weren't paying a premium for it, and that the build quality were at least half-comparable to that of a custom), then I'd probably go off-the-shelf, just because I could try it first, and have it right now, etc. etc. However, if there's nothing close available off-the-shelf, or what is available is much more expensive than going custom, then I'd go custom.

It's basically a judgement call.... and only you can make it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 23, 2011,
for a 1000 pounds it's not worth it to get a custom.

you'll be paying more for things that come standard on a production guitar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
yeah i was gonna say £1000 might be pushing it for a custom.

Though some places do "semi-customs", where you can choose some specs from a limited selection- jaden rose has the series 2, for example, and a while back legra was offering some RG-shaped ones which were started out on CNC (whereas custom legras were all hand-made).

Also those stormshadow guitars that goldfish said were very nice are around that kind of money if you don't pimp out the spec (assuming the prices on its website are up to date). I haven't tried them, though (nor have I tried jaden rose), so that's not a recommendation.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You have Very specific specifications. I think you should take the time to get a custom build. I dont think you will really be satisfied with modding a production unit. Of course, you might consider getting something close, and not modding it (to preserve some resale) giving you something moderately satisfying while you build your dream guitar yourself. If you haven't' done any hacking on your own yet, you might want to practice by chopping some really cheap pawn shop/damaged pieces.
I mean it sounds like the op would be perfectly happy with an rgd-7 prestige.

Custom is for lots of money or if you really need something no one else is making at all.

otherwise take advantage of economies of scale.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ yep, that's kinda what i meant.

although his specs sound very specific, as Rebuildlt suggested, they're actually very close to several Ibanez stock models.

That being said, in the UK it's probably worth pricing up some customs, as Ibanez prices have gone up a fair bit recently. Although I agree with min's economy of scale argument, that doesn't matter if the savings aren't passed on (LOL).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is the thread on RAN
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/140819-ran-crusher-new-model-ran-guitars.html

The horror stories start being discussed from this post onwards
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2259914-post58.html

I was looking at some of the prestiges, like the RGA427Z, RGD2127Z, and the RG1527Z. But The trouble is that they all have trems. It seems a bit of a waste (not to mention a massive hassle when it comes to re stringing and tuning) to buy a guitar that expensive and well built, just to block the trem off. Not to mention that the only mahogany bodied one is the RGA427Z, which while being amazingly sexy, is double my budget.

The other two, the RDG and the RG, I've tried before. I did love them both, but they're just about at my budget before the trem blocking and pickup swap. Where as the RAN, with the price increase due to passive pups, is about £1050. And if I bought the RG7321/RGA7 and completely did it all up, eventualy to look something like this (in the RG7321's case):

http://www.hot.ee/jcrg7/RG7321/RG7321%201.jpg

That would also come out within my budget. Would Bernie Rico Jr be an option? I've never seen any quotes from them to get an idea
Probably just go stock standard, unless you want a Carvin or something.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Carvin are definately out of my price range, a custom one anyway. About £1,600, if I could afford that, I would definately go straight for a KxK :/
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Apr 23, 2011,
Check out a schecter hellraiser c1 7, IIRC there is a passive pickup version, and also IIRC, there is an RGD non trem model that is mahagony bodied

I'll look for more
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Ah, thanks for the links. Yeah those kind of things would make me wary too, lol.

I guess if you can't get the guitar you want at the budget you want, then going custom might be worth considering.

I'm not sure what price bernie rico jrs are, but I'm guessing they're over budget. Could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alrighty. I guess I'll see if I can pull some extra funds together in time.

Thanks guys!