i got a cheap slivertone revolver bass from ebay about a month ago (55 bucks including shipping) and a music theory book(the hal leonard complete bass method) ....but my progress is terribly slow. i genuinely dont like teaching myself music theory though i know it is important.
i know that my favorite bassist (flea) doesnt read music and neither do my favorite youtube bassists ( davidsinrocks and kenbassist). i asked kenbassist and he told my he plays by ear. i want to learn how to do that as well, in addition to music theory. how should i go about learning to play by ear?
Just an FYI, Flea's actually gone back to school and learned all his music theory.

Being able to play be ear isn't exactly something you can learn, it's one of those things that coems naturally with time. You eventually get used to the different pitches of the notes and steadily get better at being able to pick them out and work them out on your bass.

You can do ear training exercises to strengthen your musical ear though. Just Google 'ear training exercises' and you should get a few results. i suggest to just keep playing and it will come naturally, and doing the exercises will help.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
cool thanx, i may try that,
and i had no idea about flea ^_^
.....some fan i am :P
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
start playing songs by looking at tabs. Slowly you'll start becoming less dependent on tabs.

i think i'll give that a try, but i always thought that tabs held you back or something....though i suppose if that were true there wouldnt be so many people using them.
are there any songs you suggest? i luv rhcp if that helps, but i know i cant handle all the popping and slapping in those songs...
Anything from Blood Sugar onwards (bar a couple of songs) don't really have much slapping in them at all, so go check some of them out.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by housemd
i think i'll give that a try, but i always thought that tabs held you back or something....though i suppose if that were true there wouldnt be so many people using them.
are there any songs you suggest? i luv rhcp if that helps, but i know i cant handle all the popping and slapping in those songs...

if you start trying to learn songs by ear straight away, then you will probably end up getting frustrated. Frustration can hold you back more than tabs do.
I'm not really fammiliar with rhcp songs but pick something easy. If your favourite songs are difficult, then ask someone else to 'dumb it down' for you by replacing the difficult parts with simpler ones.
thanx alot, everyone is really helpful here :]
i think i'll try under the bridge, otherside, and snow bcz they have some pretty mellow basslines.
feel free to give me any advice at all, bcz i certainly need it :]