Hey there, i wanted some input on a metal amp that would be good for me, Im looking for a tube combo not a head and stack, I have 700$ to spend, I play mostly Children of Bodom and Megadeth.

Any help would be great thanks!
Quote by pedersbr
Hey there, i wanted some input on a metal amp that would be good for me, Im looking for a tube combo not a head and stack, I have 700$ to spend, I play mostly Children of Bodom and Megadeth.

Any help would be great thanks!

(I'm not certain whether you wanted new or used so I've assumed new)

BlackStar HT40
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall MA50
Jet City JCA 50 Watt
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Blackstar and Jet city would work the best.

Jet city with an od would work very nicely
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
bugera 1990
Laney AOR
JCA 20 or 50
a used Marshall jcm 800 is the amp I believe both bands have used. (except brand new)

These amps will need boosting, but used a tubescreamer, mxr gt-od or some thing similar and you should gt a pretty authentic tone.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Apr 23, 2011,
JCA+bad monkey out front with the boss turned up for bodom, bass at noon + turned up treble for megadeth. done.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Bodom and Megadeth both use Marshall/British-style high gain amps, 5150 is voiced completely wrong.

This. Not sure where to go combowise, but def. brit voiced. I was going to suggest a marshall jmp-1, you could run that into any combo with an effects loop
WTLTL 2011
Would the fact that i have a metal muff pedal make any of the choices different?
Quote by pedersbr
Would the fact that i have a metal muff pedal make any of the choices different?

Yes, you can sell that for a few bucks more to put to the amp.

Amp distortion > MOST dirt boxes.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Used marshall tsl combo and maybe if you can find one a jcm 800 combo.
Last edited by losing battle at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Bodom and Megadeth both use Marshall/British-style high gain amps, 5150 is voiced completely wrong.

That's why you slap a set of EL34s in it and get it rebiased. A lot of bands with a "British" sounding gain use that trick with 5150's.

EDIT- Also Alexi Used to use VHT but I don't know if he does anymore. You might be able to find a used Deliverance around your price range. Mustaine uses Marshall, not sure which model but I'd imagine he uses an 80's or 90's JCM and Broderick uses an ENGL Powerball.
Last edited by Inbleach at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Inbleach
That's why you slap a set of EL34s in it.

No. The tubes in the amp aren't the only thing that affect the voicing, otherwise what would be the point of having different amps when we could just change the tubes to make them sound completely different.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.