I'm picking out a new guitar to play:

folk, rock, soft rock, and occasional industrial rock

(I'm mainly leaning towards rock and folk).

So a lot of shop keepers and friends recommended:

The Les Paul
SG
Mockingbird

Which do you think is best for my playing style?
Quote by mizxou
Les Paul because it's the nicest looking of the 3

Looks aside... besides, I kind of like the body of the Mockingbird.. but i'm mainly into the tone and sound of the guitar.
mockingbirds are nice i agree, i dont like sg's though

there are so many factors here, really the best advice anyone can give you is play them and choose the one you like the most
I would get the Les Paul because it has the best overal sound for what you want to play. I would maybe chose the SG if you also played more blues or rock stuff.
Quote by Tangerineseeker
I would get the Les Paul because it has the best overal sound for what you want to play. I would maybe chose the SG if you also played more blues or rock stuff.

I take that the SG isn't all too great for folk then?
I'm sure they could all do the kinds of music you're after, but I honestly can't see someone playing folk and soft rock on an SG or a Mockingbird. The SG screams classic/modern rock, and the Mockingbird is pure metal. They just seem totally out of place in those genres of music.

On another note, the Les Paul will be the warmest sounding of the three, and probably most appropriate for the types of music you mentioned. So I'd vote for the LP. They can do everything - from clean jazz to gritty blues, all the way to full-on metal.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Put up a poll...

For me, It seems like the Les Paul has more of your style... Its a very warm guitar.