So I'm a solid bass player looking for another bass to use at gigs, and practice with my school jazz band and my outside band. I play mostly funk, jazz/fusion, and rock. I like a solid bridge pickup, and some pop for slap style songs. I have a budget of 1,000 dollars with I'm willing to go slightly above or below for the right instrument. I already have an Ibanez sr400

I need some recommendations, but I also have questions.
-Are fenders crappy, because I think J-basses fit my style, but I've heard Fender quality has gone to the crapper.
-Is it worth waiting for this bass? http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR1200
-Are Ibanez ATK's solid despite their low prices?
-Should I just get a low-end boutique bass?

Thanks!

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
Quote by GuitarGuy1994

-Are Ibanez ATK's solid despite their low prices?

I can't answer your other questions. But there's an Ibanez ATK in the studio store at my uni and we ended up recording all our bass parts on it in our recording group because it was so nice. Go try one out though.
1) Fender's quality is fine, and in your price range you're looking at MIA stuff which is fantastic. If you're willing to go a few hundred over budget you can get a shiny new MIA P or J, or you can grab a used MIA or MIJ for $800 or so.

2) The SR Premiums look nice, and may be a good option if you like the feel of your SR400. We can't tell you how good they are though, since they aren't released yet.

3) ATKs are great basses, but look on the used market for one with the kind of money you have. There are 700 series ones out there there that are much nicer then the lower end ones you're looking at.

4) Boutique is a funny category with hazy lines, but I wouldn't say $1000 would get you very far in the boutique realm, you'll have slim pickings there. Maybe like a used Tom Clement or something, but you're still mostly in the high end production bass price range, or an import version of a boutique like a Lakland Skyline.

EDIT: If you're looking at Fenders, look into MIA/MIJ Fenders, G&L, Lakland Skyline, and maybe KSD.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Apr 23, 2011,
It sounds like a Jazz bass is right up your street. By boutique bass do you mean custom made, or something along the lines Sadowsky-esque boutique-ness?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Thanks a bunch, that's all really helpful. Does the use market consist of more than just craigslist?

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
Quote by fleajr_1412
It sounds like a Jazz bass is right up your street. By boutique bass do you mean custom made, or something along the lines Sadowsky-esque boutique-ness?

Around here, boutique is like zon basses, lakland, and MTD's.

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
I wouldn't exactly call Lakland and MTD boutique, but if you find a bass that you like from a boutique company and you can afford it, then there should be nothing stopping you from getting it. Then you can brag about having a boutique bass
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
I wouldn't exactly call Lakland and MTD boutique,

The US made ones definitely are. But used ones are still way out of TS's budget. $1000 give or take is going to be more import stuff like Lakland Skyline, KSD, MTD Kingston, Dingwall Combustion, that kind of stuff.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I was thinking of the Skylines and Kingstons when I read that, completely forgot about any other basses for a second then
Quote by skater dan0
I recently got an ATK 700 and its amazing for any sound. just saying. I'd recommend that because Its really nice for slapping and popping even though I'm not that good at it. With the active electronics you get a wide variety of sounds.