for example:

EMG 81 and a BKP Mule

i'd want the EMG for the gains, but the Mule for the cleans....is this a good thing? I read the pickup guide thread a few minutes ago and just picked out the ones i liked, but i was wondering if its a wise thing to do to mix up brands...would it effect the tone in a negative way? or give me more of a unique tone

or would it be best to just keep with same brand pickups, like the Mule and Nailbomb, so i can get the cleans and gains im wanting

the other pickups i found to my liking were:

SH-6 Distortion (duncan)
Fred (Dimarzio)
EMG 81
EMG 89
Mule (BKP)
Nailbomb (BKP)
Coldsweat (BKP)

thanks for the help

Can I mix EMG’s with passive pickups?

It is possible to mix EMG’s with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring
confi gurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that
the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG’s. The passive pickups,
however, will work fi ne. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG’s. The
problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of highfrequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are
two benefi ts to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG’s. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

From the EMG site.
ah, i completely forgot about that aspect...well...hmm...alright, so would it be better do just go with the Nailbomb and Mule set? im askin because im wanting to change the pups out of my current guitar. Epi Les Paul, mahogany body...from how these pups i listed sound, they seem like they'd be the best pups for my skills

BUT anyway, back to the original point...would it be ok to....idk....put in a Dimarzio FRED and a SH-6 in my guitar?

or should i ignore the whole aspect of mix/matching and just stick to a certain brand for a tone i want
i thought about it...

but seeing my budget, and seeing other pickups that are cheaper...i might start to turn to Dimarzio and Duncan, possibly a SH-6 with a Fred or EMG 81 w/ EMG 89...seeing as to how bareknuckles are almost 160$+ apiece, i might go for something cheaper
i might try that emg set with a booster, just to add emphasis on the lead parts

unfortuantly i havnt the faintest clue how to add a booster in my guitar....
as the owner of my own pickup brand, I say that yes, it's a good idea to use more than one brand. It's also a good idea to stick with one brand. At the end of the day you want the best neck pickup, middle, and bridge. Brand is not the important thing, the important thing is your tone.

It's not a good idea to mix active and passive pickups. It's also not a good idea to mix low Z and hi Z pickup. So you can't mix everything together, but most pickup types and brands can be mixed and matched.
Not taking any online orders.
I've been wondering about this a lot too. I have a Duncan pickup in my bridge and a DiMarzio pickup in my neck and I keep getting comments from people about how mixing pickup brands is a "n00b mistake".
well...how exactly does one go about putting a booster in? and can they only be used with active pups

im a pickup noob...sorry lol
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by Jade_Satriani
I've been wondering about this a lot too. I have a Duncan pickup in my bridge and a DiMarzio pickup in my neck and I keep getting comments from people about how mixing pickup brands is a "n00b mistake".

It's not noob at all, and it's not a mistake.

Boosters can either replace a current pot in your wiring, or get wired in wherever you want them. If you want it on one pickup only, you'd put the booster between the pickup feed and the switch. If you want it on both, you'd put it between the switch out and the jack. The options also change depending on the configuration of pots that you use (ie. 2 volume 2 tone, 1 volume 1 tone, 2 volume 1 tone... etc).