Hey All,

Recently I have been considering buying a line 6 recording device with pod farm. I've seen some pretty good reviews on it and it seems to be a really good program. Does anyone have any feedback on it? I was also kinda curious, can it more or less replace a traditional amp?

I am not sure if you can just run it through your computer speakers or a headset or if you have to have an amp.
No it cannot replace an amp, but it is fantastic for demoing and home recording.

The amp sounds are better if you set it to dual tone and put a 20ms delay with level on full on the second amp.

Not plugging, but the Chinese Democracy link in my sig was all done on podfarm.
It's not that great. If you're after something to use for recording, free amp sims like those made by Acmebargig, Lepou and Onqel kick the shit out of it.

As a recording interface, I use a UX1 and have no problems with it, but the only things in Pod Farm I have any use for are a couple of the delay pedals.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 23, 2011,
Pod farm is good, but it takes a while to find a good tone, and when you find a good one there is always flaws with it, it might be too dark, then adding treble makes the high end really annoying, but it is still a good program.
I shelled out $300 for Pod Farm Platinum when it first hit the market. Its a good program and you could use it in a live situation but it will never replace an amp.

I've always wanted to use it in a live setting. I do a lot of spacey guitar parts and a/bing it with my current setup would be sweet.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Is it just for recording or can you play the guitar through your computer speakers?
I guess I should get it for recording purposes but im just wondering if you can use it to play through your computer just freely or does it have to be a recording.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
No it cannot replace an amp, but it is fantastic for demoing and home recording.

The amp sounds are better if you set it to dual tone and put a 20ms delay with level on full on the second amp.

Not plugging, but the Chinese Democracy link in my sig was all done on podfarm.

I hate the tone on the original Chinese Democracy, and I'm not even that big a fan of the tone on your version, but your version of the song as a whole was damned good. Thought I'd share
I think the amon amarth cover on my profile is a pod farm tone. check it out if you want.
However I have improved my recording and mixing skills a loot since then, so keep that in mind.

EDIT: I realised it's a pretty scooped mids and crappy tone.
Last edited by Metallica1554 at Apr 23, 2011,
Ah ok, yea that would be nice. I havent really done any recordings yet. Just practicing some songs and what not.
Nah you don't necessarily have to use it when recording. Simply plug in your Line 6 Interface you happen to be using, and load up POD Farm on your computer....play to your hearts content. There are outputs for headphones/monitors on them, so yes, you can use the Line 6 interface with headphones/home theater/monitors/computer speakers in real time...great for practicing along to songs as well.

I don't mind my UX-1 at all...it's a budget friendly little way to get into recording for the guitarist. It's got a mic input for doing vocals/recording a real guitar, plus you get the POD Farm software included. POD Farm is a good program, just requires some tweaking.
Last edited by SayAnything at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by nigeltheginger
I hate the tone on the original Chinese Democracy, and I'm not even that big a fan of the tone on your version, but your version of the song as a whole was damned good. Thought I'd share

Cheers man, really appreciate it! I love the NIN tone Robin Finck had on it. I had to do the Buckethead solo without a whammy pedal. So I tapped the octaves
Hey guys i don't meant to thread jack but when I used some Le Pou plug-ins they just sounded like complete treble and thin as hell. Do I need to use a cab VST with them? If so where would I find one?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I get way less latency with it than free sims, so I use it to monitor myself and then the final amping is done with lepou's stuff.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Hey guys i don't meant to thread jack but when I used some Le Pou plug-ins they just sounded like complete treble and thin as hell. Do I need to use a cab VST with them? If so where would I find one?

Yep, they're only heads. Lecab 2 is a good vst for loading cab impulses, and Catharsis' awesometime impulses seem to be the standard ones to use, although Redwire Impulses have a few free libraries if you like having 100 possibilities as far as mic type and position.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
Yep, they're only heads. Lecab 2 is a good vst for loading cab impulses, and Catharsis' awesometime impulses seem to be the standard ones to use, although Redwire Impulses have a few free libraries if you like having 100 possibilities as far as mic type and position.

You can also use Reaper, it comes with a couple cab sims as well, one of which is a Mesa Dual Rec.

On topic, Pod Farm is fun to play around with, but as far as recording goes I really only use it to beef up the sound of the guitars I record from my amp. Relying on Pod Farm entirely for your recording won't sound terrible, but it sounds really digital sometimes, in addition to the excessive fuzziness and/or muddiness of the higher gain amps.
Pod farm is a perfectly legitimate modelling program.

No, it will not perfectly emulate an amp, but it can get pretty damn close, and removes 99% of the hassle of having a real one.

As far as recording goes, I think that anybody who claims that podfarm sounds fake and digital has no idea about tweaking it.
You can get some pretty decent generic metal tones if you fiddle around with it for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdx5k8713DI

Here's a video of mine that I used Pod Farm for. This was before I found out about the EQ, which can be really useful in making a crappy tone sound passable.
I'm gonna continue lurkin this thread....going to college means no amplifier in my dorm, I'm gonna need me a pod of some kind.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Click the top song on my profile. Bass and Guitar completely recorded with POD Farm. Don't listen to all these non-believers. Tone comes from the fingers, not the equipment.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by leephan
You can get some pretty decent generic metal tones if you fiddle around with it for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdx5k8713DI

Here's a video of mine that I used Pod Farm for. This was before I found out about the EQ, which can be really useful in making a crappy tone sound passable.

not bad, a bit djenty tone if i say so. but Pendulum kick ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.