I have this pa system http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Pro-Audio/Live-Sound/Live-Sound-Packages/Powerpod-780--S715-PA-Package-Regular.site1sku630490000000000.sku

along with a sm57, sm58, and a sennheiser mic that's similar to the 58.

My question is: how can I make this a little louder? I would prefer not to buy a power amp or something if possible. Would getting bigger/better speakers make it seem louder (I don't care if it's actually louder, I just need to make sure people can hear vocals over the band)?

I'm having a house show in my basement in July and need to make sure the vocals can easily be heard.
Last edited by phoenix_crush at Apr 23, 2011,
Turn everything else down is the only option. you can't plug that into another amp because its outputs are at speaker level rather than line level. different speakers MIGHT make it sound clearer, but not really louder. I can't see how you'd need louder than that in your basement, so i hope you use hearing protection!!

TM
i have something similar for a PA.

i got speaker stands for the PA cabs, this got the speakers projecting out to the audience at closer to their ear level. this goes a long way in making the speakers sound louder to the audience

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Can't believe I forgot about speaker stands. I have a friend I could borrow a pair from. Anyone else have any input?
Quote by phoenix_crush
Can't believe I forgot about speaker stands. I have a friend I could borrow a pair from. Anyone else have any input?

even better if you can borrow some. i mention that one first cuz it is one of the cheapest solutions.

more solutions would be acquiring bigger power amps and speakers, getting powered speakers setups to augment you setup, getting more efficient speakers, or distributing sound better (better speaker selection and placement, like with the speaker stands or adding horns). those are pretty much all your options and most will prob be out your price range.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Eqing helps, you using the PA just for vocals i guess?

Take some mid range and high end from the guitar amps to give some room for the vocals to cut through. Take a little more mids from the rhytym guitar, to leave room for lead guitar to cut through, and take away some bass so the bass guitar can cut through.

Bump the mids on the PA to add some body to vocals, and add highs for clarity to taste, dont go overboard though.

Just take half an hour before people to turn up to listen and see how everyone cuts through, make small adjustments, get someone to stand at the back of the room and listen so they get an audience perspective. Moving the amps and speakers around too so they each fill their own space, as a starting point keep the bass central.

If the rooms echo-y place lots of soft furniture and maybe some rugs on the floor and walls to deaden the room so it sounds less muddy, bear in mind a room full of people does a good job at deadening the room too.

I dont see you needing a bigger PA in your basement unless you live under the whitehouse though.
haha thank you very much. Next band practice we're gonna play around with the pa and try some of these ideas out.