Page 1 of 2
Not wanting to sound all cliched, I'm a teen (fourteen) and would like to start a band. However, I have only a drummer (which is good), but the bassist I had in mind is uninterested. I was wondering if it is plausible for a 14-year-old to put an advert in a music shop. If not, what other methods could I use to recruit a bassist (possibly a drummer too)? I've searched my school, but can't seem to find anyone.

- Many thanks -
Motto: BLARG!!
for starters, ask this is the "Musician Talk" forum, specifically in the "Band Leading" subforum, because these kind of threads belong in there, the regulars there will be more knowledgeable, and if you ask in the Pit, you will not get helpful advice.

that being said, what you really need is a new amp. ucwatididthar?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Are you in a band class at school? It's a great place to meet other musicians, that's how I met the guys in my band. People put ads up at the music store where I take lessons all the time, if you take lessons there or are well known there or anything, I'm sure that if you see other adverts, if you ask then they will most likely let you advertise there.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Yo man im a 14 year old in a band too... and ya man it is possible to put adverts in music shops just depends on the shops owner...
Don't be 14.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Come to Toronto, I'll jam with you

School
Online classifieds and ads in local stores
Other band's shows
Through people who may know other people
If you take lessons somewhere, ask around there
Or just practise a bit more with your drummer, and improve your playing first
Yeah that whole 14 thing is really gunna hold you up, just try to grow up a little faster, then you will be able to find others.
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Commit, be with people that will commit, and be prepared to be disappointed. I've had some horrifyingly sad moments trying to be in a band, and some of the toughest times of my life trying to commit.

Also, forget the assholes in this thread talking about your age. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQlzz6jGCfI

Don't let anything get in the way of your dream, no matter how high it is and how low you are.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Apr 23, 2011,
@everyone who says "Quit being 14"
Be more focussed on being helpful than being darshes. Being 14 isn't even a problem, I know people as young as 12 that have formed decent bands and played shows out here.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
TS is 14.

*shun*
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
I doubt many 14 year olds will be looking to form a band found through flyers in a music shop, but there's no reason not to try!
Ignore everyone bashing your age. Yeah, chances are you will suck but whatever. Playing with other people is the best way to improve anyway!
Also, Protest the Hero formed when they were like 13 or something. I'm sure some other awesome bands did too.
Quote by WyvernOmega
@everyone who says "Quit being 14"
Be more focussed on being helpful than being darshes. Being 14 isn't even a problem, I know people as young as 12 that have formed decent bands and played shows out here.

Yeah, but, get out of the ****ing Pit! I'm just trying to help you young sir...

What you're doing is like trying to bias you tubes for the 1st time in the bath while having a wank...not gonna end well.
Quote by lockwolf
What you really need is a new amp

damn you, beat me too it. +1 to you good sir
Best thing to do will be to find people your age tbh, have you checked every year in your school and not just yours? Also if you have friends in near-by schools ask them to check around, anyone in your area would probably work
Quote by JimmyBanks6
this man is of knowledge

Woo someone said i was smart, how silly
Quote by conor-figgy
Yeah, but, get out of the ****ing Pit! I'm just trying to help you young sir...

What you're doing is like trying to bias you tubes for the 1st time in the bath while having a wank...not gonna end well.

It's a valid question. Most of us are experienced musicians, TS is being smart. He's not looking for a needle in a haystack, he's looking for a needle in a pin cushion.
Quote by laid-to-waste
It's a valid question. Most of us are experienced musicians, TS is being smart. He's not looking for a needle in a haystack, he's looking for a needle in a pin cushion.

I'm not going to quote the rules perfectly but, ''no music related.....'', to be fair he's gotten more helpful advice from the pit than is usually normal
Quote by conor-figgy
I'm not going to quote the rules perfectly but, ''no music related.....'', to be fair he's gotten more helpful advice from the pit than is usually normal

The Pit is the most active, and the most varied in terms of the people using it. It's nice to get an objective POV. And speaking about the rules is hypocritical, seen as we all break them in The Pit.

Also in the rules :

- We expect everyone to behave in a manner that shows tolerance respect to others. Please think about what you are saying before you say it – there are people of all ages and varying backgrounds and social demographics on this site, and you should act accordingly.

Quote by conor-figgy
Get out of the Pit. Like, now.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Apr 23, 2011,
When I was 14 I tried to start a band and failed. A few months later I got together with a couple of friends and we had a laugh writing some stupid songs with just an acoustic guitar and bad singing and that was great.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Don't take it too seriously. Just jam and have fun
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by conor-figgy
Get out of the Pit. Like, now.

This. RUN! You may still have a chance!!!
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Note: You will never get famous, nor rich nor get a record deal.

This.
You might get a record deal in a shitty label, but you'll end up touring shitty venues and barely making enough money to buy you noodles.
TS, I hope you become famous so you can show up the arseholes in this thread.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
First, form a "group" and practice together. You won't be taken seriously as a 14 year olds in a band. Play some shows for practice at around 16 and start officially working on an album at around 18. You should be pretty good by then.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Portuguese_boy
This.
You might get a record deal in a shitty label, but you'll end up touring shitty venues and barely making enough money to buy you noodles.

I hope TS creates world peace and gets to put you on display as an example of the hopeless losers of this world. That's how hopeless you are. Just because you failed(?) doesn't mean everybody else does.
Page 1 of 2