for example:

EMG 81 and a BKP Mule

i'd want the EMG for the gains, but the Mule for the cleans....is this a good thing? I read the pickup guide thread a few minutes ago and just picked out the ones i liked, but i was wondering if its a wise thing to do to mix up brands...would it effect the tone in a negative way? or give me more of a unique tone

or would it be best to just keep with same brand pickups, like the Mule and Nailbomb, so i can get the cleans and gains im wanting

the other pickups i found to my liking were:

SH-6 Distortion (duncan)
Fred (Dimarzio)
EMG 81
EMG 89
Mule (BKP)
Nailbomb (BKP)
Coldsweat (BKP)

thanks for the help
From what I understand is that the potential problem with mixing brands is volume differences. You wouldn't want to switch pickups mid song and suddenly be twice as loud as before.

Don't quote me on this part, but I think the active pups would require separate pots and you would need to make sure you have space for the preamp.

grammar nazi: "you don't think it would affect your tone negatively." not effect. Sorry, that's the one grammar thing that bugs me.

Affect is a verb that means to cause an effect, Effect is the result of affecting something.
Honk
Last edited by Mukersman at Apr 23, 2011,
yeah, mixing is common, but mixing active and non active can be a bit screwy. Usually there will be a pretty significant volume difference. Just a thing to think about
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
You can't mix active and passive pickups. They require different types of pots for each. And as long as you match the output levels, you'll be fine.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
alright, cool...btw, i know this is off thread topic...but are the EMG 89/60 pups good? i've been these are the most versatile EMG's out there

and ya, volume would be a problem, im not guitar savy so when it comes to pots and switches and soldering im clueless
Quote by VintageAmigo
alright, cool...btw, i know this is off thread topic...but are the EMG 89/60 pups good? i've been these are the most versatile EMG's out there

What amp are you using? No point in swapping pu's if you're playing through a spider or mg.
And with my 81/85 emg's, I've been able to get all sorts of tones with adjustments to my amp, pedals, and even the volume and tone knobs on the guitar are a big factor.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
What amp are you using? No point in swapping pu's if you're playing through a spider or mg.
And with my 81/85 emg's, I've been able to get all sorts of tones with adjustments to my amp, pedals, and even the volume and tone knobs on the guitar are a big factor.

i have a Krank Rev Jr Pro 20w mini stack

its this exact amp, same site i bought it from too:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-Pro-Half-Stack?sku=501202

its probably best to also state that i play Metal, Classic Rock, Blues and Hard Rock
Metal as in Metallica, Pantera
Classic Rock as in the Eagles, Led Zeppelin, the Grateful Dead, Carlos Santana
Blues as in Eric Clapton and SRV
Hard Rock as in The Eagles, Van Halen, Deprived Child

etc...thats just something for you all to get a basis of what i play

EDIT: I also occasionally borrow a Peavey Classic 30 from one of my bandmates who doesnt care for it too much, it lets me get those great classic tones...but i dont know how the EMG's would react to those...i basically own it, its at my house more than his
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Mukersman
From what I understand is that the potential problem with mixing brands is volume differences. You wouldn't want to switch pickups mid song and suddenly be twice as loud as before.

Don't quote me on this part, but I think the active pups would require separate pots and you would need to make sure you have space for the preamp.

grammar nazi: "you don't think it would affect your tone negatively." not effect. Sorry, that's the one grammar thing that bugs me.

Affect is a verb that means to cause an effect, Effect is the result of affecting something

HAHAHAHAHAHHA sorry man, its a bad habit
the EMG 89 is great. the songs on my bands myspace (im mah sig) were recorded with my fender which has an emg 89 in it.

if your guitar has 2 volume knobs it shouldnt matter, altho the volume difference could be an issue. what kind of guitar is it?
Quote by SGRocker400
the EMG 89 is great. the songs on my bands myspace (im mah sig) were recorded with my fender which has an emg 89 in it.

if your guitar has 2 volume knobs it shouldnt matter, altho the volume difference could be an issue. what kind of guitar is it?

Epiphone Les Paul, so does have 2 volume knobs. And ya i've heard from alot of people that they are great (EMG 89)