Hi all!

I was wondering if any members in the forums could help me out as Im looking to buy a new distortion or overdrive pedal to play through my solid state/transtube peavy studiopro 112. I want to get sounds ranging from a light bluesy overdrive to a fuzz.

To give you an idea, i play mostly some black keys, radiohead, strokes, arctic monkeys, arcade fire, etc.

Ive heard that the rat2 is a great pedal that allows for a wide range of tones, yet someone else told me they weren't worth the price and needed to be modded to sound good.

This said, im not looking to buy a modded pedal as they are hard to come by in my region. Ive also heard of the jekyll and hyde being good.

Also, around 150$ is really my price limit, so keep that in mind.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions
ibanez tube king. Not sure how much they are in dollar, can get 'em online in England for £100.
Its an overdrive so with lower gain setting it should sound nice and bluesy, but I think it actually gets rather loose and fuzzy too on higher gain settings. It'll also help warm up that solid state amp you have as it has a 12AX7 valve in it thats running at standard high voltage (you'll hear a lot of talk about valve pedals being gimicky at lower "starved" voltages and that they don't do much to the sound at all).
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Apr 23, 2011,
I'd suggest either a Rat or a fuzz. Overdrives and solid state preamps don't like each other very much - EDIT: Woops, saw transtube and it immediately reminded me of my Peavey Rage 158. I still think a Rat or a Muff would be better anyway.

For a kickass tweaked our Rat clone, check out a CMATmods Black Plague.

Otherwise, it sounds like a Russian Muff is right up your alley. For something on the cheap, check out an EHX Bass Big Muff - it's basically a copy of the now discontinued Russian Muff. For something a bit dearer and nicer, check out a Stomp Under Foot Civil War muff. Or a Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz...but that might be pushing your budget a bit.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Apr 23, 2011,
Just adding another opinion:

Not sure how it'd work with a SS, but the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde pedal is incredible, in my opinion. It can do overdrive so light I can only just noitice that it's there, to quite thick, bluesy overdrive. Then on the other side, the Jekyll goes from Marshall sounds to pretty heavy, and combine the two and you have a mass amount of options including fuzz.

One thing to keep in mind; If you're going to only use one pedal and are going to gig with it, it may be a little time consuming tweaking the nobs (No laughing children...) between songs. That being said, if it's being used at home, then you needn't worry. OR, do what I do when you get more cash. I have the Jekyll for OD, Hyde for Distortion, and Big Muff for Fuzz.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Overdrives and solid state preamps don't like each other very much

eh, depends on how you are using it. i know that some people make the mistake of using it the same way they use an overdrive on a tube amp. instead you have to get it so it is about even with the amp level wise so you arent pushing the front end into harsh clipping. then you use the pedal clipping section for the overdrive tone. completely different from how people tend to use them for tube amps, but it does work.

i do agree that a muff or a rat would be a good choice here. most overdrives dont get into the fuzz territory, but a lot of fuzzes or distortions can hit that lower gain setting fine.

another option would be the blackstar ht-dual. i think it retails for a bit over $200, so you would have to go used. the dual stages let you get from a mild-ish overdrive to a nice crunch to some good leads. not really going to get a fuzz though.
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi. $100. Has a distortion side and on OD side like the Jekyll and Hyde does. Plus, the distortion side can get fuzzy.
Quote by Ravenfaust
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi. $100. Has a distortion side and on OD side like the Jekyll and Hyde does. Plus, the distortion side can get fuzzy.

This is a great pedal and I would recommend it with no hesitation.
also, ive been thinking of buying an analog delay pedal, probably a behringer since they are so cheap! (either the echo machine or vintage time machine)

are any of the previously mentionned OD pedals more suitable for a delay?
A Barber Trifecta is definitely versatile enough for you, but try it with your amp before you guy it. Solid state is hit or miss for pedals.
Hebrews 12: 29 "For our God is a consuming fire."

Warmoth humbucker-tele (specs soon to change), EHX 44 magnum power amp into 1x12 with WGS Retro 30 and a Barber Electronics Dual Unlimited.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
I'd suggest either a Rat or a fuzz. Overdrives and solid state preamps don't like each other very much - EDIT: Woops, saw transtube and it immediately reminded me of my Peavey Rage 158. I still think a Rat or a Muff would be better anyway.

For a kickass tweaked our Rat clone, check out a CMATmods Black Plague.

Otherwise, it sounds like a Russian Muff is right up your alley. For something on the cheap, check out an EHX Bass Big Muff - it's basically a copy of the now discontinued Russian Muff. For something a bit dearer and nicer, check out a Stomp Under Foot Civil War muff. Or a Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz...but that might be pushing your budget a bit.

I agree. I love my Russian Muff. I plan on getting another one, set one for light distortion, and the other one all out ballsy fuzz
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)