Quote by CodeMonk
No experience here...sorry.

dang...i am sad
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
im trying to get a brighter sound out of my guitar...its a Epi Les Paul and has a generally dark sound. Its a very muddy sounding guitar and im basically blaming this on my pickups (i hear from alot of people that the Epi's stock pups are muddy)

i've been told to check these out and some various EMG's (basically the 89 and 60) as well as checking out the SH-6 distortion from Duncan and the Fred by Dimzarzio

and yes...i have read the pickup thread on GB&A all the way through
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Pearly Gates all the way mate - obviosuly that spider won't be doing you any favours either.

Best thing to do is replace the amp first, that way you'll have a proper idea of what needs changing, if anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks, and ya...i know...im buying both of them roughly around the same time...

are there any pups that go exceptionally well with the pearly gates? maybe the jb? or something of that nature, so i can get a really good gainy lead tone
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
They're great..... when you own a Plexi or something like that. You'll hear it not only from me, but from a lot of people. A pick-up change is only hearable trough a good amp. That Spider isn't going to sound different when you put some Alnico II's in.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
ya i know, im debating on what amp to buy (i have a thread up on it at this moment called "MASSIVE Tube amp thread" or something like that, take a look at it)

i've been cycling back and forth between 10 different amps or so...the closest music store is almost 4 hours away, so i very rarely get to get out and actually try amps
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
would this be a better set up for me than the alnico's?

Humbucker from hell (Dimarzio)
Bluesbucker (Dimarzio)

heres the site for you to compare them if you want
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by VintageAmigo
thanks, and ya...i know...im buying both of them roughly around the same time...

are there any pups that go exceptionally well with the pearly gates? maybe the jb? or something of that nature, so i can get a really good gainy lead tone

Custom 5 if you want more oomph - that's the setup I have in my Epi.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

cool, so 59 custom and custom 5....i will certainly look into those 2
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by VintageAmigo
cool, so 59 custom and custom 5....i will certainly look into those 2

where did "59 custom" come from???
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If I had to buy Duncans (I wouldn't) I'd either get something from the custom shop or the Pearly Gates set.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
If I had to buy Duncans (I wouldn't) I'd either get something from the custom shop or the Pearly Gates set.

well then what would you buy
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by steven seagull
where did "59 custom" come from???

lol my bad, i meant the pearly gates
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by VintageAmigo
ya i know, im debating on what amp to buy (i have a thread up on it at this moment called "MASSIVE Tube amp thread" or something like that, take a look at it)

i've been cycling back and forth between 10 different amps or so...the closest music store is almost 4 hours away, so i very rarely get to get out and actually try amps

get the amp first. the biggest reason is to hear what the amp does well and where it is a little lacking. at this point you'll be in a better position to decide what pickups will work best. all your gear is the sum of your tone.

skip the actives if you plan on playing classic rock and blues.
ya, i know...alot of the tone comes from the amp. I was just wondering what some good pups were in my price range that fitted my styles

hopefully i'll be able to find a really good amp soon
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by VintageAmigo
ya, i know...alot of the tone comes from the amp. I was just wondering what some good pups were in my price range that fitted my styles

hopefully i'll be able to find a really good amp soon

right tool for the job. if you keep posting threads on what to get people will write you off as a noob idiot. you need to stay focused and put yourself in a better postion to get useful info. pickups depend on the guitar used, your prefered music style (which you are all over on) and your amp. as you see folks are saying get the amp as your current on is incapable of showing a real difference.
well...as hard headed and stubborn as i am (and as much as i resist to just go off and flame the hell out of some people)...i will admit i am a bit of a noob when it comes to amps and pickups...I've only been researching amps and looking heavily into them for about 4 months now...and i've only been playing for 8 years, so i have some experience under my belt...but not in all areas yet...

As i said earlier, i live nowhere close to a music store (the closest is 4 hours away). So i very rarely get to go out and actually play different amps. I've tried a few good tube amps that were amazing...but WAAAAAAY overpriced.

The list i posted up (on the MASSIVE Tube amp thread) is composed of all the various amps that i deemed "fitting" to my needs and preferances. I basically know nothing of the brand histories...so when someone says "ahh, bugera is a horrid brand for this and that" i generally want to know why.

Personally i cant say much on what amps sound go to me because i have a Line 6 Spider 4 15w...so anything to me sounds good, i dont have the trained ear of someone who messes with top quality amps like some of you do. Thats why i generally post up stuff on here about this sort of stuff...because odd's are (even tho its sometimes not the case) most of you know what your talking about...and if i post up something completely ignoring your previous post...im not, i take anything you guys say into account...even if it may not seem that way sometimes

PS- YES i have read the Pickup help thread on GB&C and the Amp help thread on this...
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 24, 2011,
8 years is a decent amount of time playing. it's not so much that myself and others spend all out time playing high end amps (i wish) it's more that we have a better idea of what we want and how to get it. this comes (at least with me) with a great deal of experimenting with whatever equipment i have at the time. once you learn how the chain works (guitar > FX > amp) then you will be in a better position to determine things as you change any part of the chain. research is good for sure. this isnt as cut and dry as many other things though. what works great for one player may not work at all for another so it's kind of a crap shoot. you may not make the perfect choice to begin with (and maybe ever) so don't sweat it. try for an informed choice and go from there.
cool, thanks man...

ya, everyday as soon as i get off work i generally put aside 2 hours of practice everyday...lol (quote from pyscho) A hobby should pass the time, not fill it...
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
see, i dont know how to achieve "tone heaven" ...or my perfect tone...even tho i wish i did
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Certainly from the stuff you've got listed there a Traynor YCV50 would cover everyhting you play ampwise.

As far as pickups go I'll stick with my recommendations for these reasons

Custom 5 has an alnico 5 magnet which has a tighter bottom end and sharper attack than alnico 2. For me that makes it a little more versatile and better at coping with those times you want a bit more dirt eg Metallica. However it's a fairly traditionally voiced pickup with a healthy midrange so works well for the more classic stuff.

Pearly Gates has the softer attack and spongy bass response of the alnico 2 magnet, but has a little more character and edge than the Alnico Pro 2. For me that extra bit of sizzle and liveliness makes it a more fun pickup and it matches well with the Custom 5 in the bridge. Together you get a clearer, brighter sounding guitar that can cover a wide range of tones. I'd say that combo excels at raunchy rock and bluesy tones, but if you ramp the gain up the Custom 5 is fine for all but the heaviest of metal tones. From the stuff you've mentioned there's no "extremes" of tone, ikt's all fairly middle-of-the-road stuff, and I mean that in a good way.

If you like those classic, fat, singing tones from players like Gary Moore, Slash, early Clapton then I'd happily put money on those three bits of gear - the Traynor and those 2 pickups, giving you the sound you want to hear in your head.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i've heard the traynor ycv40 is nothing short of perfection, unfortunatly i can not find one ANYWHERE...not even on craigslist...

i'll see if i can find a ycv50 somewhere, for some reason i couldnt find the 40 anywhere, even thought it seemed great

EDIT: I've also been told the H&K Statesman can get those tones as well...but i'll certainly try to find a Traynor somewhere
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by steven seagull
Certainly from the stuff you've got listed there a Traynor YCV50 would cover everyhting you play ampwise.

As far as pickups go I'll stick with my recommendations for these reasons

Custom 5 has an alnico 5 magnet which has a tighter bottom end and sharper attack than alnico 2. For me that makes it a little more versatile and better at coping with those times you want a bit more dirt eg Metallica. However it's a fairly traditionally voiced pickup with a healthy midrange so works well for the more classic stuff.

Pearly Gates has the softer attack and spongy bass response of the alnico 2 magnet, but has a little more character and edge than the Alnico Pro 2. For me that extra bit of sizzle and liveliness makes it a more fun pickup and it matches well with the Custom 5 in the bridge. Together you get a clearer, brighter sounding guitar that can cover a wide range of tones. I'd say that combo excels at raunchy rock and bluesy tones, but if you ramp the gain up the Custom 5 is fine for all but the heaviest of metal tones. From the stuff you've mentioned there's no "extremes" of tone, ikt's all fairly middle-of-the-road stuff, and I mean that in a good way.

If you like those classic, fat, singing tones from players like Gary Moore, Slash, early Clapton then I'd happily put money on those three bits of gear - the Traynor and those 2 pickups, giving you the sound you want to hear in your head.

ya, im not looking for extreme blues or the gainiest of metal tones...im just looking for that vintagy warm bright slash/carlos santana tone

so ya, im basically in the middle of the road when it comes to tone...no extremes here

EDIT: I've also been told to check out the Jet City 50w head...ive heard its extremely versatile, from classic rock, blues and with a pedal or two even HEAVY metal...so i'll add it to my list, you seem to be someone who knows a tad about amps, so what would you say to that? or are you sure fire for the Traynor (its fine if you are)
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
no experiences with alnico's...but steven seagull is pretty spot on. I'd go with the Pearly Gates and Custom 5 any day over anything else from Seymour Duncan

For amps...TRY to find the Traynor, but since your in the USA its doubtful you'll find a retailer that sells them and shipping from overseas would probably put you well over budget.

if you cant do that, do what i did on your "Massive tube amp" thread....go for the Carvin V3m or the new Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister...both of which look great...

as for cabs to go with those, i have no clue...im not a "cab" person...i actually have no clue what sort of cab you would use, but im sure someone does