Poll: Does digital media have any value?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does digital media have any value?
Yes
71 88%
No
10 12%
Voters: 81.
I'm in Eng 102 and I have to do a research paper on digital media and its value. I need a survey as one of my sources, so if you wouldn't mind could you tell me if you believe digital media has any value and why or why not. It doesn't need to be limited to just educational benefits.
Anything would be helpful, thanks in advance.

EDIT: What I meant by the question is: can digital media (video games, anything on a computer, etc.) provide some sort of value?
i.e.: can video games be educational? does it promote brain activity? can it improve sensorimotor function?
Last edited by freddy c at Apr 24, 2011,
No, until it carries a physical form, it has no value.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Why wouldn't it? That's like saying books are only worth the paper they're printed on.

/thread
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by robhc
No, until it carries a physical form, it has no value.

It does have physical form.
As in does a file have monetary value? Or is digital media as a whole a valuable resource?
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
biased source is extremely biased
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Jackintehbox
Why wouldn't it? That's like saying books are only worth the paper they're printed on.

Or that blank CD's are worth the same as ones with music. Because that's exactly what this question is: is the data on the CD worth anything, or are you just paying for the hardware that carries it? Obviously you're paying for the data.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Jackintehbox

Couldn't have stated it any better.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Well, the question for the survey sucks.

And does your teacher really want you to decide whether you're for or against digital media? Maybe you should hand him a handwritten paper with information gathered from several encyclopaedias and present him the survey conclusions in an half-assed statistical graphic. After that, you punch him in the throat.
Quote by Spartan101400
I say no, then again, I don't buy digital media.

Well, actually you already have.
You're using a computer, which is considered digital media.
Quote by Kumanji
What kind of 'value' do you mean? Economic value, social value, moral value...

educational; does it help sensorimotor function; does it help promote brain activity?
Quote by freddy c
educational; does it help sensorimotor function; does it help promote brain activity?

Again, how do you mean educational? Does it educate one into being a constructive and moral member of society, probably not. Does it train one to become extremely adept at reacting to stimuli, many studies have shown that to be the case.
Quote by Kumanji
Again, how do you mean educational? Does it educate one into being a constructive and moral member of society, probably not. Does it train one to become extremely adept at reacting to stimuli, many studies have shown that to be the case.

The latter. I am just trying to get some opinions that I can use in my paper.
Asking this question on the internet is like walking into a library and asking if the people like books.
Ok, I have been looking over everyone's comments and re-read what I posted and realize that what I am trying to get is not explained well and that is because I developed my idea for this research from a piece in my textbook and for whatever reason I automatically assumed everyone else had read it like my professor and knew exactly what I meant. Not sure why I did, but I did so my bad. Anyways, I am going to attempt to explain more of what I was asking, even though those of you who have posted and voted have already helped me. When I say digital media, I am referring to anything technology based that have an audio and/or visual medium. And when I say educational value, I mean does it teach abcs, how to count, critical thinking, how to solve puzzles/problems, etc.. And when I said sensorimotor funcitons I mean things like hand-eye coordination, your basic motor skills, etc. Hopefully this helps some if not, well thanks anyway for your contributions. Once again my apologies.
Quote by freddy c
Ok, I have been looking over everyone's comments and re-read what I posted and realize that what I am trying to get is not explained well and that is because I developed my idea for this research from a piece in my textbook and for whatever reason I automatically assumed everyone else had read it like my professor and knew exactly what I meant. Not sure why I did, but I did so my bad. Anyways, I am going to attempt to explain more of what I was asking, even though those of you who have posted and voted have already helped me. When I say digital media, I am referring to anything technology based that have an audio and/or visual medium. And when I say educational value, I mean does it teach abcs, how to count, critical thinking, how to solve puzzles/problems, etc.. And when I said sensorimotor funcitons I mean things like hand-eye coordination, your basic motor skills, etc. Hopefully this helps some if not, well thanks anyway for your contributions. Once again my apologies.

yes to this

@convo about monetary value: an investment was made on it to be made so yes it does have a value
Quote by CoreysMonster
Asking if digital media has any less value of any kind than all other media is like asking if a pencil drawing is worth more than a painting.

And as for video games, allow me to introduce you to the concept of serious games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game

Generally speaking paintings sell for far more, but I understand your point.

With your clarification I still believe digital media has value.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
An hour of Tetris would use your brain more than a day's worth of great films. It's probably not educational, but it would promote puzzle-solving skills.

I've read that the evolutionary reason we find those sorts of games fun is because they do help us build those skills. Although I could have read that anywhere, so I don't know if it's true.

I can't be bothered saying any more because it's such a huge topic I don't know where to start. The answer's definitely yes, though.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Asking if digital media has any less value of any kind than all other media is like asking if a pencil drawing is worth more than a painting.

And as for video games, allow me to introduce you to the concept of serious games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game

I am not saying that is has more or less value than others. My paper is based on an argumentative thesis and I have to present both sides of the argument in the paper and I have to have more than just expert opinions, which I already have. This is the reason why I am doing it on here. Yes, there is the possibility that I'll still get expert opinions on here, but I am pretty certain there won't be that many.
Quote by freddy c
I am not saying that is has more or less value than others. My paper is based on an argumentative thesis and I have to present both sides of the argument in the paper and I have to have more than just expert opinions, which I already have. This is the reason why I am doing it on here. Yes, there is the possibility that I'll still get expert opinions on here, but I am pretty certain there won't be that many.

You don't have to be an expert to know that the question of value of digital media has nothing to do with the media itself, but rather the content.

That's the very definition of the word "media", it's nothing more than a tool that has nothing to do with what it's used for.
Quote by Spartan101400
I say no, then again, I don't buy digital media.

I'm not liking your facebook page then, it's obviously worthless.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by CoreysMonster
You don't have to be an expert to know that the question of value of digital media has nothing to do with the media itself, but rather the content.

That's the very definition of the word "media", it's nothing more than a tool that has nothing to do with what it's used for.

By expert, I mean those who have properly conducted the scientific method to obtain empirical evidence suggesting this or that. Expert might not be the correct word I should use, but I am not sure what other word to use.

For those who have voted no, can you please give your reasoning?
Last edited by freddy c at Apr 25, 2011,