'lo

I plan to buy the Dean RC7x in a fortnight, but I can't shake off the worry after some of the horror stories I've heard about their quality in recent years. I have no chance to try out this model nor any other Dean in my area. I'm always willing to take the chance by ordering guitars online without trying but after seeing Matt Heafy's headstock snap off in that infamous video, I gotta ask around.

So! Can anyone vouch for the quality of Dean guitars? Any problems upon arrival or further down the line, or just in general?
I keep hearing more bad than I do good about Dean's overall quality lately, with a local bands guitarist apparently having the same problem as Matt Heafy...

If your in the 7 string market though, I'd suggest a Jackson SLAT3-7, Agile Interceptor Pro or Septor Elite, or an LTD H1007? The only real difference between them is the custom graphic and fret inlays found on the RC7
Quote by seemeel
He needs a new amp. Definitely. The Spider IIIs are potentially the worst sounding amplifiers you can buy.
Quote by Metalcore Jero
I keep hearing more bad than I do good about Dean's overall quality lately, with a local bands guitarist apparently having the same problem as Matt Heafy...

If your in the 7 string market though, I'd suggest a Jackson SLAT3-7, Agile Interceptor Pro or Septor Elite, or an LTD H1007? The only real difference between them is the custom graphic and fret inlays found on the RC7

I'll check those out! The main selling point about the RC7 is the badass cutaway, I feel like I'm always struggling for room on my Ibby. I was all set to buy the Interceptor until I checked the total delivery, import and customs charge to the UK.. around £300!
The cutaway on my Agile is a dream, but so is the Jackson's since it was the closest competitor to the Agile when I was buying. I havent seen or played the new LTD but its worth a look. Features are mostly the same across the board but the Jackson will have the highest build quality, which is why it costs that much more. Good luck!
Quote by seemeel
He needs a new amp. Definitely. The Spider IIIs are potentially the worst sounding amplifiers you can buy.
It's really not good, even on the higher end ones.

The BUILD might be alright, but they all play like toys, they FEEL cheap.

I've played PLENTY, ranging from the entry level ones, up to the higher end razorbacks.

While all fairly good guitars for the price (exclude the "Dime" sig's), it's just the feel of them, feel just like a toy, doesnt even feel like wood, or the weight, all feels like plastic.

Anyways, just my input.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I haven't had too much experience with many Dean guitars, but I have had the chance to play 2-3 RC7x models around here and all of them have felt solid to me. The neck was just rediculously thin, like an rg550 neck kind of thin. The floyd felt solid to me so no complaints there. Honestly, other then the small fretwire I could not find a thing wrong with them and they have been very tempting ever since. I have heard that Dean is making them with larger fretwire now, but I haven't seen any in the stores yet to confirm this. If that is the model you are going for then there shouldn't be anything to discourage you from buying one, it easily held up to any other 7 string in the price range and if you like the super thin neck then that makes it even better.
Like every brand, some have problems, usually the entry level stuff. I've owned just about every brand out there like Gibson, Fender, etc. Some were great, some not. So don't go by just a name, try it and see if it fits you. I have a 2003 Dean Cadillac that I won't part with, it's better than the last two Gibbys and Fenders I had. I'm now playing mostly Dean Basses due to the fact that I like them better than the last Ibanez and Peavey basses I've had. I've had nothing but good luck with them.

Don't listen to rumors from others, make up your own mind. Most people that tout their brand and call the others crap are just talking out their anal opening.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by SkweakyMuffin
I haven't had too much experience with many Dean guitars, but I have had the chance to play 2-3 RC7x models around here and all of them have felt solid to me. The neck was just rediculously thin, like an rg550 neck kind of thin. The floyd felt solid to me so no complaints there. Honestly, other then the small fretwire I could not find a thing wrong with them and they have been very tempting ever since. I have heard that Dean is making them with larger fretwire now, but I haven't seen any in the stores yet to confirm this. If that is the model you are going for then there shouldn't be anything to discourage you from buying one, it easily held up to any other 7 string in the price range and if you like the super thin neck then that makes it even better.

Thanks man, that's re-assuring I'm not too put off because I know that I'm unlikely to find another guitar with such a roomy cutaway and thin neck. As Rusty himself said about the guitar, "The only limitations with this guitar are the ones you set on yourself".

Cheers everyone, I'm taking it all into consideration whether good or bad. More opinions are certainly welcome, though!

EDIT: A large part of the quality rumors was the departure of Dean Zelinsky, apparently he left because the quality had gone downhill. That or the sheer number of Dime-guitars anyway, it makes ya think
Last edited by SilverSpurs616 at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by Spartan101400
Trust me, your RC7X is a safe buy, you really only have to worry about Deans under 400 bucks.

I disagree, some razorbacks I've played were in the $700-800.
Felt like they cost 50 bucks.

The RC7X might be fine, I'm just saying, the large number of deans I've played, that's the case.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I have a dean MLX that was like a $300 guitar. I was ok, the finish was really thin, but it played ok, could of used new pick ups. I think that dean makes some cheap shit just cause of people who like dime and want that look. I'd honestly say that you should look over the $800 new area, or just find a used.

My friend who plays alot of metal uses washburns that look like razorbacks.

Excellent tone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEw2hAXvsDc
Quote by caw1
I have a dean MLX that was like a $300 guitar. I was ok, the finish was really thin, but it played ok, could of used new pick ups. I think that dean makes some cheap shit just cause of people who like dime and want that look. I'd honestly say that you should look over the $800 new area, or just find a used.

My friend who plays alot of metal uses washburns that look like razorbacks.

Excellent tone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEw2hAXvsDc

The RC7x is around $1000/£700 so I'd assume/hope that they were more well-made. I've been browsing the sevenstring.org forums (I know, I'm a traitor..using a different guitar site) and the general opinion is that all those cheapy Dimebag cash-in models are a large part of why Dean are getting such a bad name, but they say the RC7's could well be the salvation of Dean.