I am NOT a bass player, but i found a fantastic deal on a headless bass and had to jump on it. So of course i want to play it but im concerned if i should plug it into my current AMP; Crate FW15r

I cant for the life of me find anything on the owner's mannual condeming bass guitar on it, what is the verdict?
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
If its not a constant use for extended periods of time, you might be able to get away with running it through your guitar amp. If you do plan on using it frequently though i'd suggest you buy a bass amp for it to avoid damage
Quote by seemeel
He needs a new amp. Definitely. The Spider IIIs are potentially the worst sounding amplifiers you can buy.
Anyone will tell you that guitar amps are meant for guitars, and can't handle the bass frequencies.

Youl damage the amp.

Get yourself a cheapo bass amp. Should be easy enough to find one at a pawn shop or guitar store
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Okay i thought so, quite happy i didn't screw with it, I know of a Peavey amp i can get.. I am asuming Peavey are ment souly for bass correct?
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
You won't damage the amp itself but it'll certainly damage your speakers.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Would a Peavey amp in general work? I have no clues on the specs for the amp, just know its about a foot tall and says Peavey
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
Peavey makes both guitar and bass amps. Check the amp out, the most common Peavey bass amps you're likely to find will say either TNT, TKO, or MAX on them. If its one of those models, its a bass amp.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Some guitar amps do OK with bass.

Most do not.

Some Peavey guitar amps with sealed
speaker cabinets will work if they have
a decent speaker. I put a 12" 100 watt
vintage Standel guitar speaker in my
Peavey Basic 40 bass amp and it improved
the sound a tremendously.

I don't know of any cheap practice amps
that work whether they be guitar or bass.

I would prefer a good guitar amp to a
cheap practice amp.

Some amps are OK for keyboard, guitar
and bass.

My son uses a Crown PA amp for a bass
amp. Crown amps are clear and pack a
punch. They sound awesome,

The long and short is,

You could run a bass if you have good
enough amps and speakers.

Tabdog
Last edited by tabdog at Apr 24, 2011,
Well I'll just talk to a friend of mine he has played bass for 4 years, i really dont want to destroy my new speakers. Thanks!
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
I ve played my bass on a Peavey Vypyr for 2 years BUT I keep the bass e.q at 5 and since I live in apartment; I keep the volume low and minimal. So long as the speaker is'nt pushing alot of air it is usually ok. By low and minimal I mean the amp is about as loud as soft-talking. Headphones deviate from this rule.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
I play with a small yamaha guitar amp, and nothing happened to it yet, and that's because I play with a low volume and especially A LOW DISTORTION
other then that, it should work fine
I'm not trying to be grumpy, but do these really threads still pop up?

Quote by bass forum FAQ

2. Can I play my bass through a guitar amp?

Originally Posted by FatalGear41
And on the sixth day, the Lord God did sayeth unto the world; "Let there not be found amongst you one who maketh yet another goddamned thread asking if thou shalt play thy bass through a guitar amp. For the answer is and forever shall be no; thou shalt not do it; for it is an abomination and shalt destroy thine guitar amp in the course of time."

And the people did rejoice.

So let it be written; so let it be done.

For the love of God, don’t do this. It may be ok for a while, but one day, the heavens will open and your amp will be destroyed by the power of God. Get a bass amp; it’s what they’re there for. As an added plus, guitars sound better through them too. Bass amps are designed to handle the lower frequencies. Guitar amps are not.