hey guys , im a guitar player in a metalcore band and were thinking bout going wireless.
are there pro's and cons to this ?
and if its possible can i get some wireless systems suggested, price isn't really an issue , im looking for reliability because its gunna get used a fair bit live
The negative is that wireless systems sometimes have dead and weak zones and can be subject to interference. Get a quality system to avoid these issues. I can't recommend a great one as I only have experience with a cheap shure model which had all sorts of problems. If the cables aren't killing you I would stick with them.
I like wireless systems but the decent ones are kind of expensive. I've never really seen any point to them unless you are playing huge stages. Even playing in a medium venue I wouldn't be using them. It's even more of a pain if you pedals too
They're cool, make sure you get a higher end one though.

As cool as they are though, they are kinda pointless if you don't gig VERY often.

Why buy a $300+ wireless system when you only use it for a show every month or sometimes more.

even more so if you don't move around a whole lot.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I'd highly recommend the Line 6 Relay series, spefically the G50 and G90, depending on your budget. You can't really find a decent one that doesn't cut tone for under $300, but the G50 is $350 and it honestly doesn't alter your tone at all. And if you are ever planning on going overseas, they work there too because the signal is digital.

Also, battery life with 2 AA's is about 5-7 hours which is just fine for live use. Just my 2 cents.
A lot of the "losing tone" thing with wireless systems is actually "gaining tone" it's just that you aren't used to hearing those frequencies because your cable was attenuating it. Put your old cable between the receiver and amp and your tone will be magically restored.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A lot of the "losing tone" thing with wireless systems is actually "gaining tone" it's just that you aren't used to hearing those frequencies because your cable was attenuating it. Put your old cable between the receiver and amp and your tone will be magically restored.

i changed my eq settings when I got the wireless, now I know why. I was all confused thinking it was some tone suck thing. now I get it.

I still blame riffhog, he gave it to me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Cathbard

damn for real? I want to try that.... now I'm thinking of getting a wireless just to preserve my natural tone even more
I learned that trick from reading an interview with Carlos Santana. He bought a top of the line wireless system and lost all his legendary tone. His tech told him to try his old cable instead of a little patch lead between receiver and amp and everything went back to normal.
ALL cables have series inductance and resistance and parallel capacitance. That makes them a tank circuit filtering out a specific frequency range. The ratio of inductance, resistance and capacitance is what makes different cables sound different to each other. Remove the cable and you remove a filter.
A wireless system should be a perfect reproduction of what is coming out of your guitar. If you connected your guitar to your amp with a little patch lead it would exhibit all the characteristics that are associated with "wireless tone suck". It's not the wireless unit's fault, it's user error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What I'm saying is that if you set your amp up to sound perfect with your cable and then replace it with wireless and a tiny patch cable, the EQ will be all wrong. You may not be able to completely compensate for it with your amp's EQ.
If you set it up with wireless with a patch lead and then replaced it with a 20' cable say, you'd be all "where's all my top end gone??? Cables are shit!!!"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 24, 2011,
The thing I like on the Line 6 Relay is that it has simulated cable length between 5' and 50' so you can emulate "tone loss." Sorry for constantly boosting up the Relay, it's really THAT nice of a wireless system for $350.
Quote by Cathbard

some cheaper wireless units do negatively impact your tone though. they just dont do a good job sampling (if digital) or modulating (if analog) the signal and it causes some issues. once you get beyond the really cheap point, the "gaining" tone thing seems to be the problem instead of actually having issues with the system.

my advice for looking at wireless systems would be:
make sure it has multiple channels.
aim for a UHF or digital system (no VHF!).
go for a known brand such as shure.
spend as much as you can reasonably afford.

just the first two put you at around the $300 mark. i would highly recomend not spending less than that.
Absolutely, jof. I was talking about decent wireless systems not el cheapo rubbish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ i know? as i agreed, most cheapo wireless stuff just differs because it sucks. after that, its the lack of capacitance that is importance. if you spend some money, you get a unit that actually cares about that.

i think. happy easter. im drunk. and i love you all. or at least most of yous guys...