I just painted a white base coat and my bro is gonna sharpie it. He is really good. I used a flat white as its more canvas like. Last time I tried it I used a glossy paint and after he sharpied it...I clear coated it too soon. I'm not sure it really mattered as it ran real bad! Paint ran as it was 20 degrees out, didn't sand it..Hard to draw on a runny surface. So now, I've been searching everywhere. From car sites to surf sites. Is there a clear coat that won't run? Would a Nitrocellulose finish work? Seems like surfers say an artists fixative first then clear works? Would sharpie paint pens take a clear, or being oil based still run? Last time was a disaster on all accounts, but I'm trying to make it look good this time! Its sitting in the garage with a nice white finish waiting for sharpie.
You can use sharpie but build up workable fixatif on top of it first - a few light coats, then clearcoat, will prevent the sharpie from running

paint markers are better though
Last edited by mizxou at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by mizxou
You can use sharpie but build up workable fixatif on top of it first - a few light coats, then clearcoat, will prevent the sharpie from running

paint markers are better though

Thanks....I'm contemplating which would work best for him. I'm not a drawer, he has always used Sharpies on canvas. Do the paint markers draw differently...Goop up etc? Maybe I should just get him some regular sharpies and do the fixatif trick..
sharpies suck on these surfaces they end up erasing themselves sometimes when you cover an area that's already been sharpied. as McDank said, acrylic base coat, acrylic paint markers, acrylic clear, it's cheap, and it looks good no need for more input
Use the pen he is going to use on some scrap wood and spray your finish over it, if the finish doesnt make the pen run you can go ahead and use them on your guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ Yea, always do a test run first. Just use a paint marker, let it thoroughly dry, then clear it. Shouldn't have any issues.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by cjmabry
Make sure you post pictures when finished. Good luck!

Will do....I just wet-sanded the base-coat. 1000x's better than last time! Couple spots got a bit thin(along an edge), but I'll just have him sharpie those spots.