So i have played guitar for probably over seven years now, both acoustic and electric and have decided to get a new electric guitar. What i am searching for is a guitar that can play both furious death metal and soft blues inspired jazzy new-age stuff. The guitar should be fairly lightweight and be equipped with pickups that got both a good clean and distorted sound but not active, oh and 24 frets too.

Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Whoops, sorry, wrong forum.

Um, if you can, get a MiM HSS Fender, and replace the bridge humbucker with something hotter, like a Seymour Duncan JB
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Last edited by NosralTserrof at Apr 23, 2011,
Quote by Amakir
So i have played guitar for probably over seven years now, both acoustic and electric and have decided to get a new electric guitar. What i am searching for is a guitar that can play both furious death metal and soft blues inspired jazzy new-age stuff. The guitar should be fairly lightweight and be equipped with pickups that got both a good clean and distorted sound but not active, oh and 24 frets too.

Thanks in advance.

don't see that happening for $600. honestly you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a guitar that could do all of that for any price. i think you need to narrow down the requirements by prioritizing them.
Schecter C-1 artist III. Good guitar with duncan JB in bridge and '59 in neck, pretty standard but versatile. 24 frets and it's string through. Available in white or black both with abalone binding and inlays. For $699 its a good versatile find i'd check it out at musicians friend
Go about 100 bucks higher and get a Gibson SG. You can also get a top end Squier Strat.They're not as bad as you think.

You just need to know how how to use 'em.
Quote by monwobobbo
don't see that happening for $600. honestly you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a guitar that could do all of that for any price. i think you need to narrow down the requirements by prioritizing them.
My MH-1000 NT is 24 fret, set thru neck, and has a Duncan coil split JB/'59 set w/ 5-way selector switch. I paid $500.
Ibanez
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Used Ibanez RG1570 (or similar priced model). Replace pickups over time.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cort offer great guitars that could do exactly what you're looking for. Their instruments are as good as LTDs, Schecters etc, offer the same specs, except are less expensive.
For the ~600 zone, I'd get this

It can get very heavy with the right gear and can handle blues extremely well. Plus they just look classy

Sound Clip Metal
Sound Clip Blues
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by T7E
Schecter C-1 artist III. Good guitar with duncan JB in bridge and '59 in neck, pretty standard but versatile. 24 frets and it's string through. Available in white or black both with abalone binding and inlays. For $699 its a good versatile find i'd check it out at musicians friend

Can't seem to find one of those anywhere in Europe.

Quote by mr.EDS-1275
Go about 100 bucks higher and get a Gibson SG. You can also get a top end Squier Strat.They're not as bad as you think.

You just need to know how how to use 'em.

I played an SG in the local music store once and i loved it but i can't seem to find one with 24 frets.

Quote by thegear
i would suggest you the jackson dk2 pro series, its a very versatile guitar and i think it's around 600

here's a photo of the guitar:

http://www.gear4music.com/media/12248/600/preview.jpg

Well it looks like it's a Bolt-on guitar and im not a big fan of Bolt-ons, just ask the guitar i got now.

Guitar: He never plays solos on me.

Quote by Pat_s1t
My MH-1000 NT is 24 fret, set thru neck, and has a Duncan coil split JB/'59 set w/ 5-way selector switch. I paid $500.

Did you buy that guitar used because i can only find it for around 700$?

Quote by megano28
For the ~600 zone, I'd get this

It can get very heavy with the right gear and can handle blues extremely well. Plus they just look classy

Sound Clip Metal
Sound Clip Blues

I have been looking at that guitar for a wile now and it seems to be the perfect guitar for me, but i can only find it in an ugly orange colour (i live in Europe).
Used Schecter C-1 classic. they are discontinued but you could prolly pick one up between $350-500 depending on condition
Get an Ibanez DN-500.
It only does everything.
Except for "ultra brutal metal"
But death metal?
Maybe with the right amp.
Quote by Amakir

I have been looking at that guitar for a wile now and it seems to be the perfect guitar for me, but i can only find it in an ugly orange colour (i live in Europe).

Just look for it used, in those vids those PRS's were like from '91I believe.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by Amakir

*cluthes chest*

Quote by SKArface McDank
*cluthes chest*

Everyone's got an opinion man, I personally prefer the blue to the orange one as well The orange makes it look too Les Paul like
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by Amakir
Did you buy that guitar used because i can only find it for around 700$?
Ah right, it was on sale at the time. Forgot that. Anyway, I'd suggest a used MH-1000 NT or even better, and older H-1000 with the teardrop headstock. Both look and play amazingly, and they come with a pretty versatile electronics setup to get almost any sound you can think of.
Quote by shecter guy
Used Schecter C-1 classic. they are discontinued but you could prolly pick one up between $350-500 depending on condition
One of these would be nice too. I'm usually not a Schecter fan, but I played one of these before and it was honestly amazing for it's price. Maybe I just played a really good one, but I was blown away by it. You might be able to get a C-1 Custom too if you stretch your budget a bit or find one used.

Where do you live TS? If I had a country I could probably look around the internet for you locally, and see what turns up.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Apr 24, 2011,
Quote by Pat_s1t

thats nice but sorry the JB/59's aren't best known for their death metal sound. i agree that this combo will cover many of the OP needs but he wants it all. my point was really that you would be hard pressed to find a guitar that does it all for that little bit of money.
Quote by As_I_Lay_living
PRS SE gets my vote

this
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
I don't know if it's been said, but an HSS Strat should serve you well.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 100
Vox VT 30
Quote by monwobobbo
thats nice but sorry the JB/59's aren't best known for their death metal sound. i agree that this combo will cover many of the OP needs but he wants it all. my point was really that you would be hard pressed to find a guitar that does it all for that little bit of money.
I find the JB works well enough for most metal. If he doesn't think so he could just sell it and switch it out for something a bit hotter. Or better yet, put BKPs in
Quote by Amakir

Thanks in advance.

A Fender Strat with humbuckers can do all that, with a good amp and maybe some pedals
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
I have to say that there is no way I would suggest to spend $600 dollars on a LTD. Just as I would never suggest it for an Epiphone or a Squier. Two people I know of have had issues with LTDs and one with Squier. You have to think F.I.G.! (lol) Fender, Ibanez or Gibson....
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Last edited by Picksqueal72 at Apr 25, 2011,
Quote by Pat_s1t
I find the JB works well enough for most metal. If he doesn't think so he could just sell it and switch it out for something a bit hotter. Or better yet, put BKPs in

yes its fine for 80s hair metal and even stuff like metallica or megadeth but not so much for death metal. i can't think of a pickup that would be great for death metal and the clean stuff he mentioned. my point has been that it's really tough to find a guitar that does all the things he wants as they are at extreme ends of the spectrum music wise. if he puts hotte pups in then the clean stuff willl suffer etc.
Quote by reggaebassman
A Fender Strat with humbuckers can do all that, with a good amp and maybe some pedals

Sadly i can't find any Fenders with 24 frets.

Quote by JustRooster

No.

Quote by Picksqueal72
I have to say that there is no way I would suggest to spend $600 dollars on a LTD. Just as I would never suggest it for an Epiphone or a Squier. Two people I know of have had issues with LTDs and one with Squier. You have to think F.I.G.! (lol) Fender, Ibanez or Gibson....

I got a cheap LTD and i haven't experienced any problems with it.

Quote by monwobobbo
yes its fine for 80s hair metal and even stuff like metallica or megadeth but not so much for death metal. i can't think of a pickup that would be great for death metal and the clean stuff he mentioned. my point has been that it's really tough to find a guitar that does all the things he wants as they are at extreme ends of the spectrum music wise. if he puts hotte pups in then the clean stuff willl suffer etc.

With the right equipment you can make it sound death metal, and with the right equipment i mean a Boss Heavy Metal-pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-1vcuKcXeI