I'm selling my Orange Rocker 30 to buy this amp but a guy told me he can give me a 1980s Gibson SG Deluxe as part of the payment. Is this a good trade? How good are those SGs (taking into account that I have a 1958 LP Reissue)?

I was thinking that if I accept it, I could still buy something like a Ceriatone Plexi or a Jet City.

EDIT: I'm looking on ebay and 70s SG Deluxe are selling at about $2000 but here is one from the 80s at $800. Anyone knows why there is such a difference?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Apr 23, 2011,
The one from the 80's isn't a Deluxe, it's actually a stripped-down model. If you've got a Les Paul Reissue you probably don't have much use for an SG though.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
The one from the 80's isn't a Deluxe, it's actually a stripped-down model. If you've got a Les Paul Reissue you probably don't have much use for an SG though.

the hell?

TS, what year exactly? Some of the 1980s Gibsons are pretty nice. Try it if possible, seriously.
Quote by gregs1020
the hell?

TS, what year exactly? Some of the 1980s Gibsons are pretty nice. Try it if possible, seriously.

It's from 1980. I haven't seen any pics but the guy says he has the serial numbers of the guitar.
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Gibson can give you all the info you'd want if you call them with the serial number. Call them, look at the guitar, and most importantly, play it before you decide anything.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^ that

Quote by blues-guitarist
It's from 1980. I haven't seen any pics but the guy says he has the serial numbers of the guitar.

And how much is he setting the value at in trade?
i have two 1980 model gibsons, and i must say they are killer guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by sonic_777111

that is what the 1980s SG deluxe is.

they had the firebrand series which was a budget series, kind of like a predecessor to the specials we have now, but the regular models had walnut bodies and the deluxe models were mahogany just like the more high end gibsons.

these aren't very collectable but can be really nice guitars, but i'd advise that you play it first - it's the same with all gibsons and always has been, they are all over the place, one SG might be entirely different to another SG. I haven't played one gibson that was anything like any other gibson i've played even when i'd played loads of that model. i've played a lot of early '70s les paul deluxes and they are all so drastically different you wouldn't believe they were the same model
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Personally I would take full cash and buy the amp you want instead of getting some random guitar you were never interested in before as well as an amp you had to make do with because you couldnt buy what you really wanted.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Personally I would take full cash and buy the amp you want instead of getting some random guitar you were never interested in before as well as an amp you had to make do with because you couldnt buy what you really wanted.

yeah, that's a good point actually.

i misunderstood the first post the first time around.

he's not gonna be giving you the SG out of generosity - he's probably trying to pass it on to someone who'll appreciate the guitar through this sort of deal because he knows it actually has little resale value. if you're selling your amp to fund something specific it's never a good idea to take an offer of less than what you want for it and something else thrown in in the deal unless that something else happens to be something you were also looking for.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp